A Special Night in Toronto

dstevensonjr

RdVvxLb.png

@animal74

Opening night for S95 is here, and there is no better time to announce the retirement of the #74 to honour the career of long time Toronto Legion goaltender and franchise icon Joel Castle. This pre-game ceremony is one that was much anticipated by fans, teammates, and friends of Mr. Castle. Before we get to the folks who have come to speak about Joel Castle's career in the VHL, it's time to take a look back at the statistical accomplishments that accumulated over his time in Toronto.

Joel Castle spent eight full seasons in Toronto from S87 to S94, and over that time he started in goal for more than 500 regular season games and more than 60 playoff games for the Legion. Castle finished his career ranked second in team history in regular season starts, and first in playoff starts. It's one thing to be a fixture in net for a team, but it's quite another to take advantage of those starts and carry the team to success. That longevity in net left Castle ranked second in Legion regular season wins and first in playoff wins. He also topped the Legion career charts in saves, save percentage (more than 300 starts), playoff shutouts, and playoff saves. That placement on Legion career stats lists is a large part of the reason that we're here tonight to celebrate this future hall of famer.

While Castle's career had several shining moments, there is no doubt that his crowning achievement came in S91. The fifth season of his career, S91, saw Castle carry the Legion on his back to win the first Continental Cup in more than thirty seasons for the franchise. Posting a 12-3-0 record in the playoffs with a .939 save percentage and a 2.02 goals against average, it was obvious to everyone in the league who the worthy winner of the Daisuke Kanou Trophy as playoff MVP was. Castle would almost pull the feat off again in his swan song season in S94, taking the Legion all the way to the Continental Cup Final before losing to Moscow in Game 6.

On-ice success has been obvious for a long time for the Legion tender, but his off-ice work has flown largely under the radar for too long. Castle's time spent as a Legion Assistant General Manager has been exceptional, and his work in the locker room with the team and the offices with the staff has been top notch. As we'll hear from those who have played with, played against, and worked with Joel Castle, his work has definitely not gone unnoticed by those who have been fortunate enough to interact with him.

We'll start the proceedings tonight with some folks who had the pleasure of being draft rivals in net with Joel Castle. Our first speaker of the night is Ash Sparks, who was drafted 6th overall in the S86 draft with Castle.

Sparks: "Castle and Sparks entered the league at the same time and were a part of a group that would be known as the “Heavenly 7”. There were 7 maxed out goalies for the VHLM draft including Castle and myself, but only 4 of us played out our full careers and made it to their final season in the VHL. We all retired roughly around the same time last season, but I personally never got to spend much time with any of them except for Joel Castle. Ash and Joel were drafted to the Geneva Rush together as a 1-a / 1-b goalie tandem, so we spent the season together as teammates. We became good friends and rivals! Both Joel and myself have always cheered for the other’s VHL success, and we both managed to become some of the best goalies our franchises have ever seen. Joel Castle and myself were blessed with the chance to retire together. It’s really nice to know that our friendship will continue even into our retirement."

We now turn to another goalie from the S86 draft, Lachlan Summers, who was drafted 12th overall in that draft.

Summers: "It’s been a pleasure to compete against Joel and the rest of the goalies that came out of our draft class, especially with how tight the battles were. He’s always been a fierce competitor and for him to become one of the most successful goaltenders in Toronto’s history is an impressive feat! Plus a Cup and a Playoff MVP is nothing to brush off. He’s always been consistent and that’s something I’ve admired about his game, as well as being one of the most level-headed and humble people out there."

Lastly, we'll hear from Fuukka Rask, who was taken 14th overall in the S86 draft.

Rask: "In the S86 draft, Castle was drafted 13th, and I was drafted 14th. The competition amongst the goalies in this draft class was very strong.  Castle has had a phenomenal career and I respect him a ton.  Now that we are both retired, I think I will invite him for a beer and we can catch up."

Thank you to the goalies from the S86 draft for their kind words tonight, it was awesome to hear from the folks who have all had similar career trajectories with each other. Next up, we'll hear from some former teammates of Castle from his time in Toronto. First up to speak from this group will be Siyan Yasilievich, who played on the Legion blueline in front of Castle during S90.

Yasilievich: "Joel Castle was one of the best goalies I had ever played with. When you needed that extra save, that extra boost to swing the momentum, he was always able to deliver. An extremely good goalie on the ice and a great person off the ice. Congratulations on a fantastic career and I wish him the best moving forward!"

Next in our group of former teammates is Tomas Sogaard, who played with Castle for two seasons in S90 and S91, which included the Continental Cup winning season.

Sogaard: "Joel was a pillar of the Legion, one who set the standard of what hard work and dedication looked like. The S91 playoff run was a testament to his relentless spirit. He was always the first one to the ice in the morning and the last one to leave. As a goalie, he set the bar high, and as a person, he was admired by all. His leadership, both on and off the ice, inspired everyone around him. Joel's legacy in Toronto will be remembered not just for his incredible saves, but for the heart and soul he brought to the team every single day."

The last of the former teammates that we'll hear from is a fellow Legion goaltender, one who shared the crease with Castle in Toronto for three seasons from S90 to S92. That included backing up Castle for the S91 Cup win. Give it up for Evan Bihler!

Bihler: "Joel was a hell of a teammate. I chose to forego a guaranteed starting job my final season to back him up and push for another ring. He was a leader and he kept us in just about every game my 3 years in Toronto. Sad to see a legend go."

Thanks to all the former teammates who stepped forward with their lovely words for Joel Castle, it was great to hear from them. The next group are all members of the team from Joel Castle's final season in S94 that were last season for the Cup push that finished just shy of the ultimate goal. The first teammate to speak from last season will be James MacAvoy, who spent the one season in Toronto with Castle.

MacAvoy: "It’s been a pleasure to play alongside him for his final year here and I’m honoured I got to share that with him. He’s one of the greatest goalies Toronto has ever had so it’s unfortunate to see him leave. The team won’t be the same without him."

The next teammate to speak will be Nils Andersson, who also spent one season in Toronto with Castle in S94.

Andersson: "He was a very fun locker room guy and always there if you needed anything, and a monster in net. Great guy to have on your team."

Next up is another teammate from last season, Diego Machado. Castle and Machado played together for the last four seasons in Toronto, beginning with the Cup year in S91.

Machado: "Women love him and men want to be him."

Truer words were never spoken! The next player to speak is defender Bobby Bob, who has spent his entire six season career as a teammate of Joel Castle from S89 to S94.

Bob: "Joel was already a veteran in the league when I joined the team and I always looked at him like a real role model. Indeed, he is an awesome teammate and an incredible leader on and off the ice."

The final teammate from last season that we'll hear from is Jimi Jaks, who has spent all eight seasons in the VHL as a teammate with Joel Castle, beginning in S87.

Jaks: "We never would have won our championship without Joel, and there was a reason why he was MVP. He’s also been our MVP for the S94 playoff push. To me, he is the centrepiece of this Legion core. A future Hall of Famer, I wish him the best in his retirement."

Thank you to all the members of the team from Castle's last season who came forward with their thoughts and feelings on this Legion legend, it's been a pleasure hearing from all of you. The last group of folks to speak tonight have spent their time in the organization as both teammates and members of the front office. The first person to speak will be Harry Callahan, who joined the Legion as a player in S91 for the Cup run, and joined Castle in the Toronto front office prior to S93.

Callahan: "Joel Castle has been a great teammate for a long time, and an even better person. His career in Toronto leaves no doubt that he belongs in the Hall of Fame, and on the Mount Rushmore of Legion goaltenders in team history. We were fortunate to have his competitive spirit in net for as long as we did, and he helped lead us to the holy grail. I'm thankful to have his help off the ice to help learn the ropes of how to be an AGM, and I wish him all the happiness and success on and off the ice moving forward in his life."

Our next speaker has been a teammate of Castle's for his eight seasons in the VHL, and has been with Castle in the front office for almost that same length of time. Legion fans know that this player needs no introduction, it's Captain Mac Atlas!

Atlas: "Castle has been nothing short of spectacular for us during his time with the Legion. A lengthy and sound career filled with class, leadership and poise. It has been a pleasure to play in front of him my whole career!"

The final speaker of the night is reserved for the person who has worked closest with Joel Castle during his time in Toronto. The only person to be a member of the Legion organization for the entirety of Castle's tenure with the team, whether it was in the front office as GM from the start, or as a player joining the roster in the Cup winning year of S91. Here is the team's General Manager, Walter Fitzroy Jr.!

Fitzroy Jr.: "Where do I start...Joel Castle, arguably the greatest goaltender in Toronto Legion history (not biased at all). Joel was hands down the foundation of the Toronto Legion during his career alongside Jimi Jaks, Mac Atlas and many others. Joel Castle was one of the big reasons why the Toronto Legion was able to secure a Cup in S91. I want to wish Castle the best of luck with retirement and hope to see Joel Castle reincarnated soon!"

That will do it for our speakers here tonight. Thank you to everyone for coming out to speak on Joel Castle's behalf, and to the fans of the team for their support! I'm pleased to announce that the number of a franchise legend is now officially retired, and will hang from the rafters in its rightful place for a long time to come. Long live #74.

-----------------------------------------------

Thank you to the contributions from @DarkSpyro @kirbithan @Jubis @badcolethetitan @Brandon @Eb14 @Enraged @Viper @Dadam30 @Baby Boomer @ke1vi @v.2  @Moon

Thank you, everyone! Like a true retiree, I'm on vacation so I just saw this, haha. It was an honor and pleasure to play with and against all of you. The Cup in S91 is definitely the highlight of Castle's career but all the teammates I played with made the journey worth it. 

• 2 weeks later...