Claimed:Niklas Kurri Tests Free Agency. [Final 6/6]

nikkurri17

Radim_Vrbata_Coyotes2.jpgNiklas Kurri scored 16 goals last season

Niklas Kurri is among the players who failed to reach an agreement with their current team and is now among the players who have declared free agency. Kurri is coming off of his rookie season in the VHL, it's very rare for a player to reach free agency at such an early stage of their career. Kurri failed to reach an agreement with the Seattle Bears after a series of limited discussions which saw the Bears offer Kurri a one year deal at a very low salary and simply instruct the forward to go sign his contract. Kurri's agent obviously wasn't amused and that brings us to where we are today.

Represented by the same management as SHL star Valterri Bottas, Kurri was considered a sleeper to develop into a top VHL forward. While the expectations were not too high considering that the Finn was just a 3rd Round Pick, many expected Kurri to have a better rookie season then he ended up having with the Bears. Kurri was instrumental to the Saskatoon Wild for multiple seasons, culminating in Jari's nephew being named captain of the squad and winning the Yzerman trophy as the VHLM's top two-way forward. Despite the award Kurri received very limited ice time in defensive situations for Seattle. Rumors are that Kurri was not very happy with the role that the coaching staff ended up using him in. Kurri was initially placed on the teams 4th line before being moved up the lineup.

The statistics that Kurri put up in his rookie season won't jump out at you but if you look at the numbers closely, the potential is definitely there for Kurri to develop into a player who can effect the game in a number of different ways. Kurri registered 16 goals, 20 assists and over 200 hits, scoring at .5 ppg and registering nearly 3 hits per contest. Kurri also is improving in the face-off dot and seems dedicated to developing into a two-way player who helps his team across all 3 zones. If Kurri puts everything together, One VHL team could be acquiring a key piece to the puzzle this off-season without sacrificing any assets.

Kurri is said to be looking for a organization that is willing to give him a definitive role on the team and can be competitive now and into the future. Some familiarity with some of the people among the organization would definitely be a plus. Kurri realizes he needs to dedicate himself to improving more if he ever wants to be a true impact player for the organization which he signs with. I'll be patiently waiting to receive some offers! I'm looking forward to seeing what my next opportunity in the VHL will be.

Cheers.

Edited by nikkurri17

Could we "gasp" possibly have numerous young players leaving their teams for free?!

This can't be right.

oooooh gurrrrrllll

bottas is spr gr8 :wub:

I know the rules. I wasn't talking about Kurri, I was talking Rice. Stop harassing.

That's not harassing haha. That was suggesting, considering those two are friends. Still able to do it and not sure why wouldn't. Also player(s) assumes talking about both.

That's not harassing haha. That was suggesting, considering those two are friends. Still able to do it and not sure why wouldn't. Also player(s) assumes talking about both.

He is on Seattle and that's all that needs to be talked about.