Claimed:High-Value Fantasy Players [Final 6/6]

scoop

Last post-season, we saw the debut of the Victory Hockey Fantasy League. Won by Bushito, the first edition of the VHFL was enough of a success that it came back for Season 43, and it could very well become a permanent fixture in the league. Considering the reduction in fantasy leagues for the major sports leagues such as the MLB and NBA, the VHFL could be seen as somewhat of a replacement. I for one am entirely pleased with the change.

We are over halfway through the season now, which is plenty of time to be doing fantasy analysis. With a team salary cap at $20 million, one key aspect to winning the league is getting the best value out of your millions. Before the season, Higgins wrote an article highlighting some of the players who he thought would give you such value. His picks were Brady Stropko (forward), Patrick Demko (defenseman), and Martin Brookside (goalie). Demko and Brookside have been very solid picks, though not the best; Stropko, however, has largely been a disappointment. Halfway through the season (through 37 games for each team), here are the positional leaders in terms of fantasy points per million.

F - Marcus Hurley

8474150.jpg
18 G, 20 A, 14 SB, 10 PIM, 38 H
Salary: $2 million
FP/million: 34.1

Selected for just one fantasy squad, Wrangler Marcus Hurley gives great value for his $2 million salary. As one of Calgary's two forwards (Rami Jakobssen, the other, has a respectable 28.33 FP/million), Hurley has put up good offensive numbers with 18 goals thus far. His goals are generating over half of his fantasy points, with his assists accounting for a good chunk of the remainder. As is the case with several of the top forwards, Hurley stays out of the penalty box quite well. However, with cheap defensemen being highly efficient, Hurley ranks just 6th among skaters and 8th overall despite being the top forward.

D - Prince Gigga-Bijou

8475208.jpg
5 G, 22 A, 52 SB, 26 PIM, 36 H
Salary: $1 million
FP/million: 55.3

For one-third of the cost of teammate Lloyd Light, you can get the same fantasy production in Prince Gigga-Bijou.Gigga-Bijou is playing his rookie season at a new position after being a forward during his time in the VHLM. His cheap contract makes him, dollar-for-dollar, the second best fantasy player and the top defenseman despite ranking 43rd among skaters in fantasy points. As noted earlier, cheap defensemen can give you a good value and allow you to spend more big bucks on a top forward or goaltender. This efficiency comes from the value of shots blocked, which even the younger, cheaper players can get a lot of.

G - Blake Campbell

8475761.jpg
12 W, 5 SO, 0.927 SV%
Salary: $1.5 million
FP/million: 57.5

Fellow Viking rookie Blake Campbell is surprisingly the most valuable goalie for his cost. However, for Campbell, it's not entirely due to being a low-cost player; as Stockholm's backup goalie, Campbell is third in total fantasy points among goalies behind Martin Brookside and Callum Sinclair. With five shutouts, a strong save percentage, and a salary of just $1.5 million, Campbell gives the highest value among all players in the VHFL. Granted, his incredible stats come from him getting his starts against the bottom tier teams, but in fantasy play, that doesn't affect your score. Whether or not Campbell would actually get points from his save percentage, I am not sure of, as he has not played enough games to qualify for the leaderboard, but for the sake of getting to write about him, I went ahead and assumed he would.

Content: 3/3 - Great look into the fantasy game. I recently realized that I forgot to PM my own team into the pool. SO bummed about that, as I remember looking at the thread for making a team and deciding I would create my team later that night. I suppose I forgot. Awesome article though.

Grammar: 2/2 - Move along, nothing to see here.

Appearance: 1/1 - Looks pro.

Overall: 6/6