Claimed:SHL vs. VHL Part 2 [Final 6/6]

In this second edition of SHL vs. VHL, we are going to discuss a few topics that are stated as some of the main differences between the two leagues. For reference, here is http://www.vhlforum.com/index.php?/topic/22726-where-the-vhl-and-shl-butt-heads-final-66/#entry252332'>Part 1 of the "series". Enjoy.

SHL vs. VHL: Simulation Hockey's Super Bowl Pt. 2

Again, this isn't my typical media as I feel that, with the SHL almost in the offseason and the VHL just starting playoffs, there is a lull in play where this can be seen as a solid media look at the two dominant simulation hockey leagues. Part 1 was Development, Part 2 was Restriction, and we move forward with...

PART 3: Activity

The next big divide between the supergiants of the STHS RPG world is activity, member presence, member numbers, and pretty much anything to do with having an active webpage. The two sites judge activity differently, with the VHL taking the high road and promoting mainly small discussions that merit quality responses and not having a post for every goddamn thing (except games, apparently, since the SHL has since abandoned the regular season PbP format and has stuck to releasing games as an updated form of the index and nothing more, while the VHL posts an individual link for every one of their 72 games per team per season). There also comes a debate about whether having more members (the SHL is closing in on 2000, while the VHL hold steady at a little under 500) is a revered quality or that having a solid base of 500 that mostly are on is better (average of 100 people on the site for the SHL at any given time versus 30 or so in the VHL -> 5% online for the SHL, 6% for the VHL). The SHL breeds new ideas almost every day, but you see that the suggestion box is littered with bad ideas and shitstorms are brought out of pure boredom at times. The VHL has low activity in every LR, killing 2 VHLM teams, but every year, new installments in the VHL are better quality and make a better impact per suggestion. Judging a victor is nearly impossible, which is why there's a divide in members per site: the VHL guys that love the site slower and easier to keep up with, the SHL whores that stay logged on all damn day, and the tweeners that try to do both but have a bias because of their initial site usage. In the end, it depends on whether you want just another place to visit every day or if you want one site for all your internet needs.

PART 4: Gameplay

This section is pretty simple, but makes a difference in the long haul. The SHL has gone through multiple phases of sim engine use, as Simon T blesses us with updated versions of the simulator. With different eras, the SHL knows first-hand how different the versions of the sim affect gameplay, while the VHL has stayed with their original version. The VHL and SHL share one key aspect to keep users present: no injuries. This keeps players here and makes sure no season-long injuries kill member activity. Other differences include the VHL's 99 endurance and Durability, along with the recent inclusion of the PS stat. The SHL is trying to adjust their maxed out player builds to the new sim engine but to no success (90 shots/game, 11-8 scores, etc.). Players in the VHL rack up 300+ hits in the 72-game season and hit more than a point per game average on a regular basis, while the SHL has top hitters racking up 200 and players at a point per game are nominated for MVP. The different point totals can never truly and accurately be measured, and both lack a true defensive statistic like Giveaways/Takeaways that can measure talent instead of circumstance.

Edited by Guest

wow wat a copy cat

It's not that. You graded each and picked a clear winner. I'm just explaining both from my view. It can lead to completely different takes. Not really copying...

ChaOs did these in the SHL? Were the ones I came and agreed on over there?

He did comparisons as well. I have my own take. He also did grading and actually declared a winner while I'm mainly only interested in presenting info I have.

Content 3/3 - Even if this article was a steaming pile of poop, I would've given this 3/3 just based on the fact that you were able to break a webpage and make everything italics. Seriously though, I love the comparisons, and if SHL seriously had 2000 active members I would be terrified.

Grammar 2/2 - I didn't notice anything except one capitalizing error. Good stuff!

Durability -> durability

Appearance 1/1 - Lookin' good!

Final 6/6