Couple of New York Americans Within Reach of Breaking VHL Records

Tagger

Yp5RCrq.png

While a lot of attention this season has rightly been directed towards Thomas O’Malley’s chase for 119 points in order to finish his career third in all time points, he’s not the only Americans player in the league perhaps on the cusp of making VHL history. Two other players on the Americans roster are within touching distance of either tying or setting new single season records for statistical categories. Let’s take a look at them:

Ptidd69.png

Player: Jorma Ruutu

Record Category: Most Game Winning Goals in One Season

Currently At: 16

To Tie the Record: Needs 1 more GWG in 5 remaining games

“The Finnomenal” Jorma Ruutu was given the captaincy by new General Manager Ron Dayne III at the start of this season and while Edwin Reencarnacion and Thomas O’Malley have been scoring more goals this season, it’s Ruutu that’s been winning the Americans games. Ruutu currently has an incredible 16 Game Winning Goals to his name (with two of those goals coming in overtime), which is the most amount of Game Winning Goals recorded in one season since Lord Karnage recorded the same amount in Season 43. What makes the Game Winning Goals record special is that it is the oldest single season record around, as nobody has managed to surpass Scotty Campbell’s 17 Game Winning Goals in Season 1, although two players (Brett Slobodzian in Season 3 and Lars Berger in Season 24) have managed to tie the record. With four of the Americans five remaining games coming against playoff teams, the Americans can expect a tough end to the season, but hopefully Ruutu will be the one to Finnish them off.

kari.jpg

Player: Blake Campbell

Record Category: Least Goals Against Average in One Season

Currently At: 1.62 GAA

Record Currently Set At: 1.60 GAA

Starting the season as the joint-oldest starting goalie in the VHL, it was anticipated that this would be Blake Campbell’s best season to date, but I don’t think anyone expected Campbell to be this close to being historically good! While it would only be fair to mention that he did have some very minor assistance in the form of two games simmed with the V2 engine, Campbell has still done exceptionally well to currently possess the second lowest Goals Against Average recorded in one season. One of the big factors in helping Campbell reach this point is the amount of games he’s stopped teams from scoring any goals whatsoever, as he’s recorded 14 shutouts to this point of the season, which is also the second most shutouts recorded in one season. While Campbell deserves a lot of credit for this, and the fact that he leads the league in Save% substantiates that his play has been the main reason he’s this close to the record, credit should also go to the defensive effort of the Americans skaters for limiting the number of shots that Campbell has had to deal with so far this season.

• Admin

Wow that's pretty impressive.

I remember Berger's season was a bit freakish since few other seasons had that many GWGs by the leader. Didn't realise Karnage came so close recently though.

And I was thinking that there were a lot of shutouts this season, though not quite enough to beat CAL G, but again didn't think that it would have an effect on GAA as well.

Be afraid @JardyB10

All I can say is wow, deadly article dude! As I am new to the league and don't know to much about these players, you making articles really helps me get into knowing more! The way you presented this was amazing, it makes me really happy, knowing you put in lots of effort doing this!! Hope one day my player will be chasing records. Cheers man! 

• Will locked this topic