Alberta Fires

BOOM

I know this situation is over a week old, but just wanted to say best wishes to anyone who has relatives or friends in any areas near this shit. Knowing what it can be like to try and stay updated on bushfires(wild fires?) I hope anyone you know that might be at risk are OK and in no immediate danger.

• Senior Admin

Pretty crazy stuff. To give you some perspective, I read yesterday the fire was about 25% larger than New York City :huh:

Hard to believe no direct casualities yet.

Had a buddy who almost lost his place up there. Not gonna go heavily into this topic but its unfortunate for those there and for how the governments were (especially Trudeau cracking May the 4th Star wars jokes AND THEN proceeding to wish Alberta the best). Amazing how all of Alberta is coming together to help out those up there though. Love to see it and love to even see some of the Syrian refugees helping out. Love to have people be proud to come to Canada and be apart of our nation like that! Much better than some of those who are sitting there bitching about Canada and them staying in Motels  and stating they feel as though theyre in "prisons". If it's such a prison, go the fuck back to war torn Syria where you get the shit kicked out of you and are constantly living in fear.. winds me up how ungrateful some are.. (was in the Edmonton Journal).

Anyway, donated $100 at Superstore to the Red Cross. All the best to anyone who is in or was evacuated from F.Mac. Been there a few times for work, hell of a city! 

1 minute ago, Draper said:

Pretty crazy stuff. To give you some perspective, I read yesterday the fire was about 25% larger than New York City :huh:

Hard to believe no direct casualities yet.

fire-map-overlayjpg.jpg.size.custom.crop

http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2016/05/06/fort-mcmurray-fire-maps_n_9857952.html

• Senior Admin
7 minutes ago, Banackock said:

especially Trudeau cracking May the 4th Star wars jokes AND THEN proceeding to wish Alberta the best

The meteorologist for CTV Atlantic:

"If you have friends and relatives in Fort McMurray, don't call them, they're just going to brag about the heat," she said.

Just now, Draper said:

The meteorologist for CTV Atlantic:

"If you have friends and relatives in Fort McMurray, don't call them, they're just going to brag about the heat," she said.

Jesus. All the people saying it's karma too should be shot. Couple people on FB saying it;s karma and they deserve to lose all their houses, material items and they should die.. Our world has become so shitty it's sad. Fucking tree huggers. :)) 

• Head Moderator
2 hours ago, Cuffy said:

but i got to say trudeau is doing an amazing job helping out right?

Seriously now isn't the time to blame shit on anyone. Do it after everything is done otherwise we're just belittling the tragedy this really is.

Yeah I did hear a rant by one guy saying he found it ironic that the sole province that is largely to blame for the climate change is the one where the fire started. Like fucking get a life man, this ain't time to be pointing fingers. Just get your two hands ready to help in whatever way you can.

Now I see really how empathetic people were with 9/11. Everyone and their uncle were down there helping out.

I'm not affected by this personally, but I do have a Canadian friend from fantasy sports that is really mad about this. Apparently the Prime Minister isn't really doing anything about this? Also I heard airlines are raising their rates since lots of people want to get out of the area, which is just sick

19 minutes ago, Kendrick said:

Yeah I did hear a rant by one guy saying he found it ironic that the sole province that is largely to blame for the climate change is the one where the fire started. Like fucking get a life man, this ain't time to be pointing fingers. Just get your two hands ready to help in whatever way you can.

Now I see really how empathetic people were with 9/11. Everyone and their uncle were down there helping out.

Yeah, that's the guy. Last name was Sowden. I emailed the prick all pissed off :)) 

3 minutes ago, ADwyer87 said:

I'm not affected by this personally, but I do have a Canadian friend from fantasy sports that is really mad about this. Apparently the Prime Minister isn't really doing anything about this? Also I heard airlines are raising their rates since lots of people want to get out of the area, which is just sick

.I read somewhere that one was giving some for free or discount. Also, what a lot of people down know is big oil company camps (suncor etc) are offering their camp residency places for evacuees to live. Absolutely classy by those big companies and any tree hugger posting on their oil made phones etc can get fucked. Sorry, but it's true. TONS of people and companies are helping out though. It's soo good and warm feeling to see!

By law Im pretty sure, if the disaster is bad enough, our Federal government has to give a certain amount of financial support. That's what I heard. Could be wrong. Either way, fuck Trudeau. Wonder how good they feel not voting Harper now? :P 

1 minute ago, Banackock said:

Yeah, that's the guy. Last name was Sowden. I emailed the prick all pissed off :)) 

.I read somewhere that one was giving some for free or discount. Also, what a lot of people down know is big oil company camps (suncor etc) are offering their camp residency places for evacuees to live. Absolutely classy by those big companies and any tree hugger posting on their oil made phones etc can get fucked. Sorry, but it's true. TONS of people and companies are helping out though. It's soo good and warm feeling to see!

By law Im pretty sure, if the disaster is bad enough, our Federal government has to give a certain amount of financial support. That's what I heard. Could be wrong. Either way, fuck Trudeau. Wonder how good they feel not voting Harper now? :P 

That's good to here. Like i said, all I know about it is what my friend has told me about haha. I just saw somewhere that Air Canada had crazy rates.

18 minutes ago, ADwyer87 said:

In regards to the airline comment, it's somewhat misinformed. People screens hotted a picture of last minute flights out of the Fort McMurray area that were high, not because of the fire but because they wanted a flight literally within the hour. A lot of flights from smaller locations can have high ticket prices if you look for the flight that is departing at the soonest time.

@Banackock Not really a fair comment about the Harper thing. The only reason Harper would have more support with this is that he is from Alberta, otherwise he probably would be doing the same thing Trudeau is doing. I was once told that in order to judge the politician you have to see what he does in the aftermath, not in the exact time of crisis. Why? Because like Trudeau mentioned, him going to ground zero of the fires would be a mistake.

• Head Moderator

I'm sure everyone important is helping out in some capacity or another. Its just whatever you read in the media can be skewed one way or another as we have learned countless time.

I mean i know for a fact that Trudeau isn't doing nothing. It just happens to be how its painted in the media because they don't see all the behind the scenes work. As much as I don't like Notley, I'm sure shes doing something too and despite the media saying otherwise.

Though I do like to reiterate that if people have time to sit around and blame, get off your ass and do something rather than pointing fingers otherwise its pretty hypocritical.

Edited by tfong

On 5/10/2016 at 6:34 PM, Cuffy said:

also other countries were going to help us out but trudeau turned them down saying that Canada has it under control? 

A lot of issues come from accepting help.

Too many people, language barriers, owing something to that country, dealing with people like Putin, etc.

• Head Moderator
On 5/10/2016 at 4:34 PM, Cuffy said:

also other countries were going to help us out but trudeau turned them down saying that Canada has it under control? 

Its way more complicated than that. Don't believe everything you hear.