Claimed:The Threat of The Threepeat! [Reviewed]

Devise

The Threat of The Threepeat

A Story By The Artist Formerly Known As Devise

c329065a2dc226df86c00e6b1a8e319a.jpg

Let's assume time travel exists. Let's assume that instead of travelling to a period in time of any actual relevance, you decide to use your time up by going back a few seasons in the VHL, let's say to Season 44 or Season 45. At this point in time the league hadn't seen a single team repeat as Continental Cup Champions since the Davos Dynamo accomplished the feat in Season 24 and 25 respectively. If you were to stop, find me at this point in time and just for narrative purposes let's assume your @Kendrick you would say "Hey Denise, I'm from the future and there is a few things I need to tell you. First, fuck the SHL and any ideas that have any association with it. Second, in Season 50, in this era of the VHL we could very well see a team accomplish the threepeat, for the first time in VHL history." I'd probably respond with a stunned look on my face, I may not even have words to describe my thoughts on how unlikely that would be, only a few seasons from this era. I mean sure, we've had dominate teams. Cologne went to the finals 3 times in their run. That wasn't that uncommon either. New York, Riga, Helsinki, Davos, all had moments where had the chips landed right they would of repeated, and had the opportunity to push for a threepeat. But this is the parity VHL I'd argue. Ultimately I'd look at Kendrick and pull a line from Vince McMahon saying you got no chance in hell son. At least, the team that is trying to threepeat ain't got no chance. I mean we are living in the repeat curse era. And after asking Kendrick whether or not Richardson finally got into the HoF and if the defender bias finally died, finding out it hadn't, and sending him on his way back to the future, I would stay stunned. 

Well fast forward six seasons, I'm still stunned. There is a cold irony to the success of the Toronto Legion as well. Centered at it, it's magnetic core if you will, is Hans Wingate. If there was ever a goalie who statistically embodied the definition of the modern day VHL starter it would be Wingate. Despite having all the TPE and being the clear cut top goalie Wingate only has one Shaw to his credit. Such has been the battle of goalies for some time now. Anyone remember Smyl? (Sorry @Toast:() But even in the S30's when we had Tukio, Labatte, and Remy LeBeua tearing things up none of them even repeated as Cup Champions. Sure all have multiple Shaws. But Wingate, the poster child of a top notch goalie who despite great play in stretches has trouble keeping it together is the anchor behind a furious Toronto Legion team that is one Cup win away from going down as having the most successful playoff run in the history of the league. 

Make no mistake everyone, that threat is very, very real. When you look up and down the league, and you think to yourself, "what team stands a chance of stopping Toronto this year?" You do find some answers. In Europe Cologne is the best bet to make the Finals for the second straight year. They are more developed, and with a stronger roster than Davos. Riga/Helsinki, the teams competing for the third spot in that conference are basically still rebuilding, or more appropriately beginning to let their young talent blossom as they come out of rebuild. But they are still way too far to hope to beat Cologne, much less a stacked Toronto Legion squad. The North American conference is very much the same. Calgary, New York and Seattle are all in rebuild, or just out of it. And as the Legion enjoy a healthy lead in the conference, the real threat to their historic Threepeat, the Quebec City Meute, continue to slowly rise in the standings. Perhaps I'm a tad poetic, but the fact that Quebec and Cologne, the two expansion franchises, both riding on a single Continental Cup win, stand the best chance of stopping the threat of the Threepeat just feels bittersweet to me. It feels like we live in some pre written story, and that this has all been planned. Of course it has to be Toronto as well, to further the narrative. Of all the teams Toronto has enjoyed the least amount of dominance in the league, despite being a good group of players for many seasons. But @Molholt was able to really solidify that core, add in some key elite level players and transform that club into the potential dynasty they are now. 

I don't know what the future holds. But I do know that if the VHL has taught me anything, it's that despite the perceived excellence of the Legion, getting that illustrious threepeat is going to be no easy feat. Yes sure most other threepeats don't even come close to happening mostly because the team that has won back to back ends up rebuilding, and missing the playoffs. But lets not forget the cautionary tale of the Helsinki Titans. Despite having Koenig to replace O'Malley and still loaded with an all star roster they were humbled by a wave of momentum coming out of Stockholm, and ultimately the New York Americans took the title ending any hopes of Helsinki reaching that promised land. STHS is always full of surprises, and while there is no mistaking the Legion will be in the playoffs, and likely get a bye into the second round. Once they meet the Meute in that round, a historic VHL playoff battle will begin. In my own humble opinion, the Legion are going to fall short of the Threepeat. Oh yes the threat is real, the chance is there. But if I've learned anything since being in this league, if something seems to good to be true, it usually is. Wingate and the Legion may have to settle with being just another great team, and having another great run. Only time will tell. 

8 hours ago, Mr. Power said:

Despite having all the TPE and being the clear cut top goalie Wingate only has one Shaw to his credit. Such has been the battle of goalies for some time now.

Which one got revoked, S44 or S46? Or when I got jobbed out of S48, did they take another one away too to really stick it to me?

Review:

Your = possessive, owned by you

You're = you are

"they would of repeated" should be "they would have repeated" or "they would've repeated"

As for the content, this was a very good article. It'll be interesting come playoff time to see how Toronto performs. 

Keep up the good work. 

• evrydayimbyfuglien changed the title to The Threat of The Threepeat! [Reviewed]
  • 2 weeks later...