My Journey Across Canada

Devise

So as some of you may know, I made a trip across most of Canada this month. I just arrived home, back in the nice and mild Red Deer Alberta on the 27th. My roomate did all of the driving, as I have no license. We drove from Red Deer all the way to Ferryland Newfoundland. The speedometer said we drove total about 13 thousand kilometers for the trip their and back. Which is of course a lot of KM. But the real crazy thing was how far we traveled versus how long we actually visited/stayed. Our first day of travel took us 20 hours and 35 minutes. We left at about roughly 5 PM on Thursday the 11th, and drove straight to Thunder Bay Ontario, only stopping for the occasional fast food, and a breakfast in Denny's in Winnipeg Manitoba. After getting some pizza we pushed onwards from Thunder Bay on Saturday all the way to Sudbury Ontario. That was a shorter drive, as was our Sunday drive into Kingston Ontario where we ended up spending two nights, so Monday was a day with no travel. On the Monday however I hooked up with @Advantage and we watched a movie, did some walking in Kingston and drank a few pints. It was a good time. Tuesday we were back on the road again, and we went from Kingston all the way across Quebec and into New Brunswick, Edmunston to be exact. Then from there in the morning Wednesday we drove from Edumston NB straight to North Sydney Nova Scotia, where the ferry took us overnight into Newfoundland. It was crazy to us to think we left on a Thursday night, and sure my roomate is a crazy driver and we didn't do any long stops other than the day layover in Kingston but we landed in Newfoundland thursday morning, meaning it took us less than 6 days of travel time to get from Alberta to Newfoundland. Thursday was also a super tired 10 hour drive across the province of Newfoundland into Ferryland, where we stayed for 3 full days, which is kind of crazy to most. Driving all the way for what amounts to a weekend of stopping.

The way back was filled with more parrel and far less sleep. We did the 10 hour drive back to hit the ferry that heads into North Sydney, and had another basically non sleep night overnight on the ferry since sleeper cars are booked eight million years in advance. We then drove all the way back to Edmunston. It was the next day the trip started to differ, as we went to stay at my roomates Uncles house in North Dundas, just outside of Ottawa. We made a mistake and forgot to put in tolls, and winded up going right through Montreal, with the craziest drivers and traffic I have ever seen. Stressful as that was, we had a great time in North Dundas, with several beers and good times. After waking up from there we decided instead of push ourselves for a 20 hour drive from Thunder bay, we'd go a bit further each day to make our final day easier. So we went to Sault Ste Marie, stayed there for a night. Then we pushed to Winnipeg, and stayed there for a night. And then as my roomate woke up at 4:30 am because I'm apparently the world's worst snorer, we agreed it was time to get the hell back home away from all the crazy provinces and drivers ASAP. So we left Winnipeg and arrived in Red Deer less than 12 hours later. We made good time on pretty much every way. I'm glad I did the trip, as it really made me miss my routine at home, refreshed me, during the drive I was posting a lot more on the VHL and in turn missed being active here. 

So all these paragraphs and the worst thing about my trip for me was not being able to stop, as my roomate was the driver, and meet a few more VHL faces. I had plans to see Jericho in Moncton that fell through because of when we were travelling and how much ground we made. @sterling and @JardyB10 both expressed interest in me stopping by in Sasks for a beer that I wish I could of done. I also passed by where both @Draper and @Higgins were in Nova Scotia and would of loved to meet either. But alas, the trip is over now and I'm happy to be back and rearing and ready to go deep diving back into the VHL. 

Edited by Mr. Power

1 minute ago, Advantage said:

The good thing is if I do end up moving out there, we can always see a few of those faces with me driving.

Indeed there may be a chance I fly down to keep you company for the journey to Alberta and if that is the case we will for sure try to stop in and see some VHL faces. :)

I had no idea so many people were in these places. But as I wasn't driving and my roomate wanted to just burn rubber I wasn't really in a position to ask for stops. Also the reason I don't have a license to the two gents who asked, I dislike driving/am very awful at it. In order for me to get better at it I'd have to drive more, and I don't want to since I hate doing it. So why risk accidents because of some societal "norm" to want to do something that is arguably one of the most dangerous things we do daily. The amount of idiots we saw on the road who shouldn't be driving like me was very high. Walking isn't that hard, transit if I need to go far and then there is the whole you know Ford going to have full driverless cars with no steering wheels in 5 years according to their own plan. So I won't even need a license eventually and a robot car will take me where I want to go. 

:D 

• Commissioner
10 minutes ago, Mr. Power said:

I had no idea so many people were in these places. But as I wasn't driving and my roomate wanted to just burn rubber I wasn't really in a position to ask for stops. 

You could have at least mentioned us *sniffle*

Seriously though, why haven't we had a NS VHL meetup yet? There are at least three of us here that I know if, I'm sure more than that as well.

33 minutes ago, Mr. Power said:

I had no idea so many people were in these places. But as I wasn't driving and my roomate wanted to just burn rubber I wasn't really in a position to ask for stops. Also the reason I don't have a license to the two gents who asked, I dislike driving/am very awful at it. In order for me to get better at it I'd have to drive more, and I don't want to since I hate doing it. So why risk accidents because of some societal "norm" to want to do something that is arguably one of the most dangerous things we do daily. The amount of idiots we saw on the road who shouldn't be driving like me was very high. Walking isn't that hard, transit if I need to go far and then there is the whole you know Ford going to have full driverless cars with no steering wheels in 5 years according to their own plan. So I won't even need a license eventually and a robot car will take me where I want to go. 

:D 

When I saw the MythBusters talk, they said the most dangerous thing they did while recording all 16 seasons was drive to the set/office.  You get in a metal box and drive it towards other metal boxes just missing each other by a few feet.