2013-2014 NHL Discussion Thread

8Ovechkin8

With junior hockey bridging with IIHF tournaments. TSN could brand themselves with hockey Canada and the fact they are the gurus of the games future (ties into U-20). Probably will have to cut some staff though, but I think lots of hockey people have a special appreciation for the junior game cause its about passion and not pay cheques (to a certain point).

Just want to point out just how awesome Sean Couturier has been defensively this year (and really his entire career):

Taken from Appleyard from HFBoards.

Couturier now:

5v5: (among player with 0+ Corsi rel QoC and 0+ QoC... 122 such forwards in NHL, 65 centres. So basically guys who play vs top two lines regularly.)

5th best GAON/60 amongst forwards in the NHL.
3rd best GAON/60 amongst centres in the NHL. (Plekanec and Marleau ahead)

5v5:

Him, Bergeron, Staal, Couture, Little, Turris, Goc and O'Reilly the only centres with good Corsi with >50 zone starts and playing top line QoC.

Bergeron, Staal, Turris, O'Reilly and Couturier only 5 moving puck forward +6 (Couts +7.4)

5v4: (note, 43 guys have 2+ PK mins/60, 94 have 1.30+)

2nd most PK time/60 in the NHL. 8th hardest QoC on PK. (2+ minutes.)

4th best relative Corsi of any PKer with more than 1.30 of PK time per 60.
1st best relative Corsi of any Pker with more than 2.00 of PK time per 60.

2nd best Corsi on of any PKer with more than 1.30 of PK time per 60.
1st best Corsi on of any PKer with more than 2.00 of PK time per 60.

3rd best GFOn/60 on PK. (2+ mins)
9th best GAOn/60 on PK. (2+ mins)
5th best +/-/60 on PK. (2+ mins)

Ever since Berube has taken over as HC, Couturier has really blossomed. Over the past 5 games or so, Couturier is leading the Flyers forwards in TOI, usually with about 4 more minutes played than  the Giroux line. I think Couturier may only top out at 50 points or so, but that'll be more so because of the minutes he plays, not lack of offensive talent.

Doesn't help when Burrows is playing like a 3rd liner either.

Burrows is doing everything but score, I can't explain it. I'm just really tired of watching this core fail and fail again to be a "cup contender". Gillis needs to make changes or get the hell out of town instead of continuing to bullshit everyone.

I'm still a strong believer that Gillis should have been gone before AV. That being said I'm happy the entire coaching staff is gone. We don't have that spark or fire of any sort really after the Sedins, and don't have a hardworking checking line that hits everything that moves and throws everything on net. That kind of line can energize a team when they are the lowest. Its hard to pin point whats going wrong with the team right now but most of it falls on Gillis.

Gillis has made some very good moves recently (Richardson, Santorelli, Stanton) but so many more have backfired. His absolute refusal to address the team's actual needs are infuriating as well. Gillis was able to make AV the fall guy because he didn't hire them. AV's time here had run out either way, but Gillis should be gone as well. As much as I thought the Hodgson/Kassian trade was the right move (wrong time however) how much better would this team be with him? We'd be able to run Kesler as a winger full-time with Hodgson as the 2C.

Sedin - Sedin - Kesler

Booth - Hodgson - Burrows

Higgins - Santorelli - Hansen

Sestito - Richardson - Weise

Gillis has made some very good moves recently (Richardson, Santorelli, Stanton) but so many more have backfired. His absolute refusal to address the team's actual needs are infuriating as well. Gillis was able to make AV the fall guy because he didn't hire them. AV's time here had run out either way, but Gillis should be gone as well. As much as I thought the Hodgson/Kassian trade was the right move (wrong time however) how much better would this team be with him? We'd be able to run Kesler as a winger full-time with Hodgson as the 2C.

Sedin - Sedin - Kesler

Booth - Hodgson - Burrows

Higgins - Santorelli - Hansen

Sestito - Richardson - Weise

Getting: Weise, Alberts, Sestito, Kassian, Sturm, Ballard

Letting go: Volpatti, Ebbett, Sulzer, Hodgson, Torres, Glass, Tambellini (Biased opinion), R.Johnson, Mitchell, Ian Clark (Goalie Coach), Grabner (Trade).

Some of his stupid things.

the pick used with Grabner was used on Quintin Howden was it not? so we could have Howden :P

Could have Grabs and Howden if a stupid trade wasn't made.

Letting go: Volpatti, Ebbett, Sulzer, Hodgson, Torres, Glass, Tambellini (Biased opinion), R.Johnson, Mitchell, Ian Clark (Goalie Coach), Grabner (Trade).

Volpatti I miss, sure. Ebbett sucked, much happier with Santorelli. Sulzer is in the AHL, isn't he? Hodgson + Torres I agree. Tambellini may not have wanted to stick around, but I liked him. Johnson was washed up (Lapierre and now Richardson are much better 4C). People didn't even know if Mitchell would play again, giving him two years as a risk. Ian Clark wasn't willing to be full-time with the Canucks so I'm glad he's gone.

Grabner really is the most difficult one to talk about here. I think he would've been shit with us like usual. He constantly showed up to camp out of shape and played poorly, and he's said that getting waived by FLORIDA of all teams was the wake up call that made him the player he is now. Not to mention Raymond was coming off a 25 goal season and there was no place for him on the roster. We were going to lose him either way.

Volpatti I miss, sure. Ebbett sucked, much happier with Santorelli. Sulzer is in the AHL, isn't he? Hodgson + Torres I agree. Tambellini may not have wanted to stick around, but I liked him. Johnson was washed up (Lapierre and now Richardson are much better 4C). People didn't even know if Mitchell would play again, giving him two years as a risk. Ian Clark wasn't willing to be full-time with the Canucks so I'm glad he's gone.

Grabner really is the most difficult one to talk about here. I think he would've been shit with us like usual. He constantly showed up to camp out of shape and played poorly, and he's said that getting waived by FLORIDA of all teams was the wake up call that made him the player he is now. Not to mention Raymond was coming off a 25 goal season and there was no place for him on the roster. We were going to lose him either way.

It wasn't a "this or that" Sandro. Ebbett didn't suck, he produced in limited minutes. Tambo wanted to stay, I have had numerous conversations with him about that. Johnson wasn't washed up, now he is but he was a great blocking centre and good face-off man. Ian Clark couldn't be full-time with the Canucks.

Ebbett was awful last season. He had run his course here. Obviously you would know more about Tambellini, I really hoped he would stick around. Johnson was washed up, he started the next season in the AHL and after working his way up to Chicago for part of the season, he's been out of the league. Couldn't/wouldn't, it doesn't really matter with Clark. They needed a full time goalie coach. And what is "this or that" in reference too, Grabner? It kind of was. Where was he going to play? The 4th line?

Ebbett was awful last season. He had run his course here. Obviously you would know more about Tambellini, I really hoped he would stick around. Johnson was washed up, he started the next season in the AHL and after working his way up to Chicago for part of the season, he's been out of the league. Couldn't/wouldn't, it doesn't really matter with Clark. They needed a full time goalie coach. And what is "this or that" in reference too, Grabner? It kind of was. Where was he going to play? The 4th line?

I hep you're not one of those fans that thought Ebbett was a 2nd line centre? He is a fourth line guy with third line upside. Stop looking at where they went after and how they did. That's the worst argument because they were successful here and working well.

The "This or That" is in response to Santorelli/Ebbett. It's not a case own having one replace the other. It's a case of having Ebbett on the roster. You may not like him but he is more useful than Weise, Sestito, Dalpe, Welsh.

I hep you're not one of those fans that thought Ebbett was a 2nd line centre? He is a fourth line guy with third line upside. Stop looking at where they went after and how they did. That's the worst argument because they were successful here and working well.

The "This or That" is in response to Santorelli/Ebbett. It's not a case own having one replace the other. It's a case of having Ebbett on the roster. You may not like him but he is more useful than Weise, Sestito, Dalpe, Welsh.

I actually laughed out loud at that. I'm sorry, but at least Weise and Sestito can fight/hit. What is that midget Ebbett going to do playing a fourth line crash and bang role? Welsh is even on the season and is winning 50% of his faceoffs. Ebbett was a -1 last season and was under 40% on the draw. Ebbett is a 13th forward MAYBE, more like a 1C in the AHL.

I actually laughed out loud at that. I'm sorry, but at least Weise and Sestito can fight/hit. What is that midget Ebbett going to do playing a fourth line crash and bang role? Welsh is even on the season and is winning 50% of his faceoffs. Ebbett was a -1 last season and was under 40% on the draw. Ebbett is a 13th forward MAYBE, more like a 1C in the AHL.

I ain't religious but I'd be praying for you if you became a GM. To think Sestito and Weise have any value is crazy.