Alternatives for gaining TPE?

Banackock

I've spoken to a lot of old members and SHLer's over the past week or so due to recruiting purposes and two things have consistently been brought up when it came to the negatives of the VHL. One was the board activity and the other being that all you could do for gaining TPE was writing. Oddly enough, that's pretty much what you do on their too, however, I think we could maybe up the weekly cap slightly and see if we could find some other alternatives that would allow members to gain TPE while also benefiting the site in other ways.

1. Up the Cap slightly and swap the tpe/salary around slightly to open up a weekly training.

Weekly, we'll be allowed to do a minimal training. In a section potentially for training, we can do something similar to the SHL and our team training camps where our  members will post weekly. Suggestion:

$50,000 gets you 1 TPE

$100,000 gets you 2 TPE

2. Some other sort of "Team Task" for TPE

Unsure on what it could, graphics or written, but can each team member anywhere from 3-5 tpe per season? Could be held at the end of the season, during or whenever?

3. Donation options:

Higher options to strictly buy TPE. I get we have lots of money, but this could also open the door to bigger and better for advertising spending. On facebook, it can get pricey but if we could reach out on Facebook to millions and specific areas (all hockey related in North America, Europe etc) it could really be huge for us. 

Maybe $1 per TPE  or $2 for 1 TPE?

4. TPE award for weekly activity/Activity Check?

I get it's fairly simple for people to post, but for an additional 1 tpe a week, we could have an activity check. Makes it easier for members to gain tpe but also keeps the gap between bad - good and great players.

5. Recruiting - special rewards that we need to come up with.

Recruiting is huge and to see new members join the site is an amazing thing. SHL is crazy busy and while I enjoy how close knit the VHL is, I'd love for us to add another 20 or so consistent members. We all enjoy this site, so why not take some small time out of our day to see and make it thrive? Dunno on rewards though.

6. Buying Equipment once per season? (another store purchase?)

Self explanatory

Players:

Gloves, Skates, Stick, Shoulder Pads 

Each costing $100,000? 

Gloves - +2 Puck Handling or 1/1

Skates - +2 Skating or Defense or 1/1

Stick - +2 Scoring or Passing or 1/1

Should pads - +2 Strength, or Checking or 1/1

Goalies: 

Pads, Glove/Blocker, skates etc

Each costing 100,000

Glove/Blocker - +2 Reaction Time

Pads - +2 Rebound control or Style Control or 1/1

Skates +2 Skating or Agility ? 1/1

I'm sure there's a lot more. Just some I could think of off the top of my head. Don't give me grief - may just help the VHL as that's what I've heard from lots who have come and gone :) 

1. No. We're a PT/welfare league.

2. These were done in the past to varying degrees of success. Don't remember why we stopped, but my guess is low participation.

3. Nope. Not pay to win. As far as I know, the VHL is not hurting for money.

4. Don't really see the point. The VHLM already has this as an extra way to improve your player. Don't see how adding this to the VHL does anything to improve retainment. If it was capped TPE, all this does is further decrease the incentive for a member to sign up for a job, and we already have enough trouble hiring for some jobs.

5. Recruitment rewards are already pretty high and easy to obtain (I believe you get the highest reward at 175 or 275 TPE? Either way, much lower than it used to be). This is something more members (including myself) should take advantage of.

6. Already have the player store with it's own purchases. Might as well just go back to the old system of buying straight TPE if this is the direction we move in.

Sorry, but a lot of this sounds like SHL members who prefer that league (and so it doesn't turn into one of those topics, THERE'S NOTHING WRONG WITH THAT) wanting the VHL to implement some things to be more like the SHL. 

The big difference is that VHL has things that have to be done each week, while SHL is more of a "per season" system for a variety of reasons. Each system has it's pros and cons and works better for others.

1. All you can do for TPE is writing? You can write, do graphics, or do a podcast, and they're all worth the same 6 amount of TPE. So that's wrong.

In the SHL, you're doing the same thing, except you have to write a shit ton more in order to earn the $1M that is required for only 5 TPE. That's one of the reasons why I don't like writing anything in the SHL. It's a lot more work, and it's all based on wordcount as well so half the time I feel like I'm just going off about nothing just to put more words out.

I don't think we really need to have cash for weekly training. If we're going to change a bunch of stuff to make it more similar to the SHL, then we might as well just be in the SHL. Also on top of that there would need to be a full time banking job, which is a shitty job on its own.

2. Team PT idea is fine with me. We've done it here before, although for the rebuilding teams with less players it kind of sucks having a bunch of work placed on a few guys. But we could always combined a couple of smaller teams to let them do one big team PT.

4. I wouldn't mind an Activity Check here. Every other league basically has it that I've been in, except for SBA. SBA only has that in the NCAA, just like VHL only has it in the VHLM. Practice facilities. I like SBAs idea of posting in sim threads for "Sim Attendance" which grants you 1 TPE, for a max of 3 a week. So you'd get 6 for PT and 3 for sims giving you 9 max, unless you have a job then you get 12 TPE max. Although, I think if people here were earning 12 TPE a week then the TPE scale would need altering, which is another thing that's been discussed here a lot.

5. Recruitment is something that does need work. Although, we've had a lot of opportunities of posting in Reddit threads or on other websites for 1 TPE or so. It just hasn't seemed to have worked as well as the SHL ones have. I wish it did.

I feel like a lot of the SHL guys concerns are just concerns with them wanting it to be like the SHL, which shouldn't be a thing. The SHL and the VHL are different entities. They are similar in a lot of ways, but SHL requires a lot more work. VHL is just more 'laid back' and straight forward. I don't know why so many SHL guys like the SHL more. I think it's more of a bias than anything. I say this as a 1000+ TPE member in the SHL.

See I didn't necessarily think the SHL members want these things or think that the VHL is so repetitive with ways to earn TPE, but it's more of a case of them being told something that is not. I am in both leagues (like many here) and my players over there has around 950 TPE and that is probably in the lower half of the league. What I mean by that is that 50% of the league has more than 1000 TPE or so. So let me speak on experience from both places:

1. The VHL offers Podcasts, Graphics, Media Spots, VHL/VHLM Weekly Fantasy Predictions, VHL Fan Articles as well as Welfare for those who can't do any of the previously aforementioned tasks. The SHL offers very similar things like Articles, Graphics, Podcasts, Weekly PT's and Predictions. I could argue that the VHL has a broader range of things to do and most being things that take 5 minutes tops if you know where to find them. When they tell you they don't think the VHL offers things, its most likely them just not being informed or they simply don't want to have to find out about it and are basing that assumption on laziness.

2. Team Task isn't a bad idea, but it is something that would have to come into effect with higher parity; otherwise a rebuilding team will just have 1-3 people working on it.

3. No. Pay to play or pay to earn is not the message you want to send to people. Sure the money for our advertisement would be awesome, but that's not what were about.

4. I think this is better off in the VHLM and that's it. Over there I earn 7 TPE per week by logging in for 2 minutes and I can forget about anything for the rest of the week. Activity Check and my bank rollover cash fund my training for 7 TPE. If it wasn't for the odd conversation I poke into, I'd basically be what we call a "5 minute member".

5. I've always wanted huge rewards for this and it's something we may need to look at. I tried to hash something out in the BOG once but basically was turned down by people who at the time said "that's too big of a reward for simply posting on a board and getting a member". Those same people I think (if I recall) are the ones who really want Recruitment to take off but won't lift a finger to do so.

6. We had this once, it was a mess to deal with.

*My interactions with SHL members has been all over the map. Many have told me they strictly do not have time for a second league; which that is a fair reason of course. Some have said the VHL is too much work and that they are confused with how to do things. That is fair for anyone that is new to a new forum but whoever recruited them or told them most likely didn't help them past that point. The last point I want to make is not to ruffle feathers but it's actually the response I have gotten from some SHL members. Some just straight up think the SHL is the devil and they are too set in their ways to want to navigate it. There is also this big contingent who do feel animosity towards the VHL because they don't feel like rewarding "competition" or "rivals". It's one of the reasons I've urged guys from here not to purposely go there and troll or start shit, because that does more harm. In the end a lot of the people you messaged probably just don't have any passion to come here and told you some slightly off story so you'd be content with it. It's a shame really because I gave them a shot and still do have a player, a HOF player as well and I just weed out the VHL hate and continue on my way.

I'm glad you did this though because it gets people talking. If everyone who reads this and is also in the VHL recruited just one active teammates, we'd have another 10 players for next seasons draft.

If we were to do any of these things I wouldn't really want to see a higher cap. We already have enough of an inflation problem as it is. It shouldn't be so easy to hit 99 in every important attribute halfway through your career. I don't really think we NEED a bigger variety of ways to earn TPE, but if anyone has any other good ideas for PTs they are welcome to suggest them. Usually when someone has an idea they post it anyway and it gets done. Before a playoff run one year I remember @Noah!! making a sweet hype vid. Nobody really does videos very often but he was still able to claim it.