Back to Welfare

Jala

I can't be bothered making sigs for TPE anymore and will be going back to welfare and maybe doing a fan590 if I can be bothered to write 150 words or slap together some shit graphic. This league is just so frustrating to try and build a player on and I can't be bothered to waste any more time on it then absolutely necessary. In the spirit of why recruitment and retainment sucks around here, this is a list of my gripes that make it hard for me to stay motivated despite wanting to be more productive on SHL and even GOMHL. SBA will be my next project once I can work on my time restraints to find time to do everything.

1. Make VHL Fan Zone more rewarding. Give 1 capped TPE + 1 uncapped if you get it right. Otherwise it's pointless to try and predict it most weeks as the way this sim is set up is so fucking wonky.

2. Condense the league or create a league-wide LR. Something to fix how small this league is and create some activity around here. There is always teams with 0-2 players on it, and most times those players are inactive FAs. Even with 2 lines teams aren't filled and it's ultra-uncompetitive to have teams who are just gimme points. Don't understand why there's 5 teams a conference when there's a clear cut conference champ 2 games into the season half the time.

Look at the West; the Meute are somehow in a playoff spot with a sub-500 record and a -8 goal differential. The East is a little more competitive, but do you really think Stockholm is going to lose until potentially the finals?

Noone cares if a team is in a rebuild because once they form a solid team, one of the currently competitive teams will be in a rebuild. So great, you get drafted to a team who completed their rebuild and now you get to coast to a playoff berth because 2-3 other teams are trash.

3. This should be over 150 words, so I don't care anymore. 352, I could hand this in as a PT if Higgins' suggestion went through.

1. Fantasy TPE is uncapped, unless your talking about Trivia which is capped, but at the end of the season there is a leaderboard with uncapped TPE.

2. Majority of league is against contraction, they see it as a sign of weakness or think there is still potential to fill out majority of rosters in the future. There will never be 8-10 competing teams, ideally 6 would be good but right now there is probably 4 with Stockholm, Helsinki, NY, and Seattle.

11 minutes ago, STZ said:

Says he's doing welfare, but posts enough words for a Media Spot...

#pardon

And he could even hand this is as a MS which he questions in the original article. We have auto 6's now in the PT section @Jala provided you meet the word count. It isn't graded. AKA this is a 6 as a MS for you bud. :P 

1 hour ago, Devise said:

And he could even hand this is as a MS which he questions in the original article. We have auto 6's now in the PT section @Jala provided you meet the word count. It isn't graded. AKA this is a 6 as a MS for you bud. :P 

Isnt minimum word count 450 for media

Yeah, this is still 100 words short of a media 

Edited by Jala

3 hours ago, Higgins said:

1. Fantasy TPE is uncapped, unless your talking about Trivia which is capped, but at the end of the season there is a leaderboard with uncapped TPE.

2. Majority of league is against contraction, they see it as a sign of weakness or think there is still potential to fill out majority of rosters in the future. There will never be 8-10 competing teams, ideally 6 would be good but right now there is probably 4 with Stockholm, Helsinki, NY, and Seattle.

1. I meant the Pick 'em/Predict the Score. If you gave 1 capped TPE every week for each/both there would be more incentive to do it. Trivia is way too much work for the 1 TPE a week imo as it is, though I haven't done it since Victor gave up doing it. Could be way easier now. Using the lower word count PT for 3 TPE, you could still hit 7 TPE easily and more consistently for lower activity members.

PT (3) + Trivia (1) + Pick 'em (1) + Predict the Score (1) + Fan590 (1) = 7

It's not just a 'check-in' but it's not overly strenuous but would make people come and look at the site regularly, or at least once a week, to post their fan zone shit.

2. I don't get why pride plays such a big factor in how this league is run. You're right, 6 would be ideal because there won't ever be parity in this league and I don't mean that as a dig or something. With 6 teams you would basically eliminate the ghost team issue and legitimize the playoffs.

If the league contracted today to 6 teams, who would really be losing out? You'd just cut out the 0 player roster teams, move some players to the other 6 and flesh out rosters. That would actually help promote parity as you couldn't just have 2-3 high TPE skaters playing 2/3 the game.

3 minutes ago, Kendrick said:

He's always had gripes. I find it easy to do point tasks, maybe you're just lazy.

This league is just so frustrating to try and build a player on and I can't be bothered to waste any more time on it then absolutely necessary.

Simmer down cop.

20 minutes ago, Jala said:

Simmer down cop.

That's always your go too, I love how stupid one can be. I'm saying you've always had gripes but yet keep coming back. If you hate it so much no one will force you to stay and enjoy yourself.

1 minute ago, Kendrick said:

That's always your go too, I love how stupid one can be. I'm saying you've always had gripes but yet keep coming back. If you hate it so much no one will force you to stay and enjoy yourself.

I went to get a coffee and was going to come back and apologize for saying that, but I forgot how much you piss me off. I don't know what it is about you in particular, but you just make me want to punch a wall in frustration. I love how stupid you can be for catfishing people and then AFTER it was exposed continue claiming you were a cop.

My gripes are with how much resistance is brought forward whenever someone proposes a change or new idea because it's 'not how its been done for the last 50 seasons and the league's still around'. Finally some changes are being brought forth that benefit new members, but you ol' boys need to put your pride aside and do what's best for the league. Leaving a new member on a junior team with noone but a semi-active GM isn't going to make them stick around. Drafting new members/SHLers to teams with 0 other actives isn't good for retainment.

The answer for why recruitment sucks is simple, the league needs to change. 'I don't want it to be like the SHL' is a dumb reason to refuse to change. The SHL and SBA are both wildly successful, and even the GOMHL has more active members when I looked through update pages yesterday. Something has to be going right with those leagues, especially considering 2 are hockey sims using STHS as well.

Regardless of why I posted this, I did bring up 2 ideas that I feel would help the league retain members and promote activity. Refute those points properly instead of claiming I'm just lazy, which is hilarious because I volunteered to update the entire GOMHL yesterday. I WANT to enjoy being here and I want to replicate the fun I had a long time ago when I first joined, but it's hard to do when there's so much heel digging.

14 minutes ago, Jala said:

I went to get a coffee and was going to come back and apologize for saying that, but I forgot how much you piss me off. I don't know what it is about you in particular, but you just make me want to punch a wall in frustration. I love how stupid you can be for catfishing people and then AFTER it was exposed continue claiming you were a cop.

My gripes are with how much resistance is brought forward whenever someone proposes a change or new idea because it's 'not how its been done for the last 50 seasons and the league's still around'. Finally some changes are being brought forth that benefit new members, but you ol' boys need to put your pride aside and do what's best for the league. Leaving a new member on a junior team with noone but a semi-active GM isn't going to make them stick around. Drafting new members/SHLers to teams with 0 other actives isn't good for retainment.

The answer for why recruitment sucks is simple, the league needs to change. 'I don't want it to be like the SHL' is a dumb reason to refuse to change. The SHL and SBA are both wildly successful, and even the GOMHL has more active members when I looked through update pages yesterday. Something has to be going right with those leagues, especially considering 2 are hockey sims using STHS as well.

Regardless of why I posted this, I did bring up 2 ideas that I feel would help the league retain members and promote activity. Refute those points properly instead of claiming I'm just lazy, which is hilarious because I volunteered to update the entire GOMHL yesterday. I WANT to enjoy being here and I want to replicate the fun I had a long time ago when I first joined, but it's hard to do when there's so much heel digging.

I don't expect an apology from someone who is a sheep following someone elses opinion. Weak minded individuals are allowed to be on sim leagues as well, don't worry.

In the BOG as we speak they are discussing a few of the items you listed above, but of course they are just in discussion right now (some being brought forward a little bit more heavily than others). Us old boys? Umm it appears you haven't been paying attention but as someone who has been here since day 1, I don't go with the normal routine more than anyone. In fact, my price was pushed aside awhile back in the name of recruitment and retainment. If you think that's false, you really have been away for awhile.

"I don't want it to be like the SHL" has literally not been a reason for anything in the past 15 seasons actually. That just shows how out of touch you are. If you still believe thats the mindset we have, than yes you do need a league update fairly quickly. But maybe your thoughts on that stem from always being Pro-SHL and never been truly "here" to provide a realistic opinion on it. The SHL has some great qualities and some I have even pitched in discussions, but they also have a ton of problems with how they work as well. I mean I could say the same about our league, SBA and any other league out there. You can't sit and complain while comparing leagues, because each league is independent and the only thing connecting them is that they are sim leagues and share some of the same overlapping members.

I said lazy because how long have you been coasting with welfare and such and complaining at the same time. You recently said that a post in a LR hadn't been made for 5 days. I agree that is alarming, but nothing is stopping you from posting a small post to boost it's activity. Everyone looks at the "everyone but me" mindset when they are deciding to post and they are on the fence about the league. I also spoke up because (bless her heart) Jaime and you seem to speak out more than actually invest any time. If it's bugging you more to post and be active but keep coming back just to gripe, that's not a positive discussion.