Game of Thrones

Victor

• Admin

aMrLNvA_460s_v1.jpg

1. No one watched Game of Thrones for 5 seasons because of a rape scene in episode 1

2. Book readers hated both equally. Maybe Sansa's more but that's because Sansa isn't even in Winterfell in the books.

this thread just backs my opinion up to never watch the show. books >

As long as you recognize that the show and the books are two different things, the show is pretty good from seasons 1-4, with some seasons being stronger than others. Season 5 has been a pretty big let down IMO. 

As long as you recognize that the show and the books are two different things, the show is pretty good from seasons 1-4, with some seasons being stronger than others. Season 5 has been a pretty big let down IMO. 

Agreed, kind of. I've liked season 5 BUT it's nowhere near the same standard as the previous seasons. I'm just easily entertained.

:yeahthat:

Seasons 1 and 2 are pretty much by the book anyway. The changed elements in seasons 3 and 4 are not annoying. Season 4 starts to become annoying near the end.

Yeah, you can almost always tell the difference between stuff D&D changed from the books and the stuff Martin wrote. That's not to say all show only changes have been bad, a couple have been alright or even damn good (I loved the Arya/Tywin interaction). But as someone else on Reddit put it, "D&D are great at adapting from source material but they're pretty shit at coming up with stuff on their own". It's really starting to show as they're getting towards not having any more hard source material to adapt.

Eh.

If it wasn't for the constant cultural milestone this show is losing it's luster for me. It's getting better at not spending 10 minutes on every overt sex and violence scene, but a lot of the plot lines are SO fucking slow. 10 episodes doesn't do most of these stories justice. It may also be a victim of something that probably wasn't meant for film/tv adaptation. There is just way too much going on and not nearly enough time to showcase it.

Just as a story line gets intriguing, it gets put on hold for an episode. In previous seasons they would make up for that with a lot of build up to some crazy big moments. But realistically speaking, I don't think those moments hit anymore. We get it, all breed of characters can die. But now it's easy to tell who will die and who won't imo. Again they are "somewhat" still going off the books although a lot of people who have read the books now tell me they do some stuff that is past them and some not. Either way though you can clearly tell when a plot line isn't complete to the point that they are comfortable killing off main characters. 

Like Arya isn't going to random die right now, or Tyrion. Down the road? Maybe. Also all that plot line stuff for Bran last season and NOTHING this season? Game of Thrones is quickly becoming the most overrated and overhyped show, particularly on the internet. Get past the good setting and the obvious ambitious attempt at translating a very difficult book to TV. Get past some of the good performances and the "who will die?" bullshit. Ultimately it's the perfect example of a great magician. They lure you in, they tease you, they distract you, they keep your on your toes, and them boom, something amazing happens. But behind it all? It's not that fucking interesting. If it wasn't for the fact that this is going to be this generations "show" and I've already started the series I'm quite tempted to check out on it honestly. 

Also for anyone who wishes to challenge me on the quite literally shitty ass storytelling that is happening....quite literally nearly half or more of the main characters are all going through various stages of the same fucking story. Bad things happen, they deal with them, they boil, they break, their are consequences, they go on the run. Arya, Bran, Jon, Tyrion, Jorah, Sansa hell even Stannis had some of that type of story. 

The entire time in a episode or so back Jon was trying to "rally the troops" about aligning with the wildlings I was utterly dissapointed by the horrible script writers. Also by the lack of commitment by creative on the show I'm assuming since I haven't read enough to tell exactly what is adaption and what is created anymore. Seriously, everyone on the wall has dealt with and encountered remnants of the GIANT FUCKING ARMY OF UNDEAD and their decision to murder each other? Sorry. Don't believe it. Nobody is that fucking stupid. It didn't help that John's speech was almost nothing. But come on! Everyone knows their are dragons on the other side of the world threatening to come over, and they have undead zombies on this side and everyone is like "ah fuck it I"d rather rape this girl with a little baby boy because I"m a bad person won the watch who apparently has zero morals/care in the world like everyone on this fucking show."

It's simply lame. The lack of a "hero" in any regard is getting really tiring. I realize it's attempting to showcase a darker side of humanity, but not EVERYONE is that dark. It's simply the truth. The idea of teaming up with other people (wildlings) to defend yourself against giant undead armies is something that would go well in the real world. Real people would work together. Whether they were thieves or not. Especially given that these people have encountered the undead first hand. They know the threat. Grumble. Just more "build" for this show though and more of the usual. 

All you dumbasses except Boubabi are showing exactly why they did it.

"Hmm, how can we further the Sand Snakes' storyline now? I KNOW, TITS."

I'd argue that they're finally giving the Sand Snakes personality, and more in line with their book counterparts at that. I kinda feel like, "I poisoned you. You're dying. Do you think I'm pretty? You better, you are at my mercy. Here's my boobs. Here's the antidote. Wildcard, motherfucker" is much more interesting than "OBERYN WAS MY FATHER PREPARE TO DIE." Yes, there was gratuitous nudity and it was awesome, but they could have had an extremely similar version of the scene without boobs and I'd still think it was a well done Sand Snakes scene for once. Because the Snakes are supposed to be these seductive yet strong hot-headed wild types, and they had been fucking up the latter part for the last two or three episodes they appeared in. Today's was good and may get them back on track. Or not and you're right and it was a one-off gratuitous boob scene. But I thought it was solid.

These books are the hardest/worst to make a TV counterpart for. As odd as this may sound, I'd say this season is actually going very fast when compared to the source material. There was a really good reddit post about it a while back, but some of the best parts of these books (Theon/Reek's POVs, Tyrion's first-half of his "voyage", the Robert/Ned flashbacks) don't mesh well with TV for one reason or another.

I'd argue that they're finally giving the Sand Snakes personality, and more in line with their book counterparts at that. I kinda feel like, "I poisoned you. You're dying. Do you think I'm pretty? You better, you are at my mercy. Here's my boobs. Here's the antidote. Wildcard, motherfucker" is much more interesting than "OBERYN WAS MY FATHER PREPARE TO DIE." Yes, there was gratuitous nudity and it was awesome, but they could have had an extremely similar version of the scene without boobs and I'd still think it was a well done Sand Snakes scene for once. Because the Snakes are supposed to be these seductive yet strong hot-headed wild types, and they had been fucking up the latter part for the last two or three episodes they appeared in. Today's was good and may get them back on track. Or not and you're right and it was a one-off gratuitous boob scene. But I thought it was solid.

I get what they're supposed to be, but it still doesn't make sense to me. There is literally no reason for her to have saved Bronn other than fanservice, it just doesn't make sense. I get the whole "you're at my mercy" thing, but why? Why not just let him die? Granted I have to wait and see how it plays out, but I didn't like the scene. If anything, I think it would have been pretty good if they had done everything in that scene *EXCEPT* had her give Bronn the antidote. I don't/didn't want Bronn to die, but it seems more likely that as seductive strong women, she'd seduce him and make his blood pump faster so the poison spreads quicker, just so that the audience can see it. I dunno.

I just really hope they don't try to turn it into some bullshit Bronn/Tyene love connection where he betrays Jaime because Tyene saved him... fuck now that I type that out it could fit into some other shit too if that happens.