Something to Do during the Non Super Cup/WC Season

Mike

So with the Super Cup now we have a 3 season rotation.  1 Season for the World Cup, 1 for the Super Cup, and then 1 season for the whole don't do either thing.  In the past we have done something that many around the league seem to like (mostly for ego) but it wasn't ever controlled and it was done randomly.  I think the 3rd off-season could be used for doing the Top 25 list that we have done before.  Everyone in the VHL has 24 hours to vote for who they think is the #1 in the league at the time and vote for anyone they think should be added to the list for the following vote.

The only three issues we had with it were

1) when we do this list its done randomly with no reason other than the fact that someone feels like doing it.

2) there was never any good set of consistent rules for how long to keep the poll open and etc

3) there wasn't ever like a quick description of what the vote was actually meant to be

Now I was thinking we could either do it publically starting around the trade deadline of every 3rd season or make it strictly a BOG thing and have them make their list of top 25 ahead of time and starting at the deadline of every 3rd season they release the list backwards from 25 down to 1.

We could even take this further and ignore the player aspect and make it the top 25 most influential people of the VHL and add it to the HOF section and see how the list changes every 3 seasons.  Anyway just thinking of things we could add that wouldn't involve any additional effort by the commishes or simmers and give the league something to do in the quieter off-season.

I think 25 is too many, because I think it would be silly for something like this to spill over into the beginning of the season (and delaying the season shouldn't/wouldn't take precedence over something like this). This is something that could be prepared to start almost right when the playoffs end, but I still feel like a top 10 max (even 15 is a little much, as not all off-seasons will/should take that long).

These concerns, of course, are directed towards the idea of having 24 hour voting periods that determine the order.

Sounds like a bit of a circle jerk imho where none of us newer members really have a realistic chance to play much of a rule, so this doesn't exactly seem very enticing for someone like me... Or would there be multiple lists for different categories?

I would prefer something sim-based so that some actual games are played, but I fully understand if the Simmer preferred to take a break.

Edited by RomanesEuntDomus

I would love to set up a football game using Madden 07 to sim and have VHL players fill the roster. Players can sign up for any position and use their TPE to select their attributes, at 1 TPE per attribute. Then two captains can have a fantasy draft to choose their teams.

I would love to set up a football game using Madden 07 to sim and have VHL players fill the roster. Players can sign up for any position and use their TPE to select their attributes, at 1 TPE per attribute. Then two captains can have a fantasy draft to choose their teams.

I hope you mean football-football, not egghandball-football?

I think with all the stuff going on having an off season where nothing happens is probably a better thing for the league. Puts the focus on just the off season stuff, gives the Blue Team a break from all the extra work and even lets us evaluate our off season process to see if we ever want to make changes for future seasons.

What about one of those alumni tournaments we did back in S20 or whenever that was. Where the best players from each teams history was put on a roster. We could do something like that again every 6 seasons or so during the off-season where nothing happens.

i.e.

S36: Nothing

S37: World Cup

S38: Super Cup

S39: Alumni Tournament

S40: World Cup

S41: Super Cup

S42: Nothing