Claimed:Landry: Cologne's Missing Piece?

Doomsday

Landry: Cologne's Missing Piece?

la-brown.jpg

COLOGNE - The VHL community has seen many a roller coaster ride, but perhaps nothing quite like the fortunes of the Cologne Express. After making a trip to the playoffs last season and winning their first playoff series against the Davos HC Dynamo, the Express suddenly find themselves ten points out of a playoff spot, behind the reborn Vasteras Iron Eagles. Rumors are wildly circulating out of Cologne that this could be the end of Joey Kendrick's tenure as the Express' general manager, which could signal the beginning of a long and difficult journey for the club. No doubt the loss of promising center Davey Jones, who was traded to Davos shortly after the season began, has played a bigger role than anticipated in the team's struggles. What makes this turn of events difficult to swallow for Cologne's fans, however is just how close the Express were to keeping this from ever happening. Below are three opportunities that Kendrick and the Express had to acquire a young forward named Thomas Landry, who has instead become a leader for their biggest rivals: the Davos HC Dynamo.

Season 33 VHL Entry Draft

The First Opportunity

2007-NHL-Draft-KereRemle.jpg

The career of Thomas Landry began when the 32nd season of the Victory Hockey League was winding down, as he would be claimed on waivers by the Oslo Storm. While the Storm would go on to eventually win the Founder's Cup that season, Landry had a small part of the team's success. He played sparingly, scoring just one goal and five assists in over 20 games, not including an assist during the Storm's playoff run. With his agent trying to support what ultimately would prove to be a failing sports league, Landry's activity began to suffer. However, around the time of the draft, his attention was fully back to the VHL. 

Largely forgotten, Landry watched as he slipped further and further down the draft board. When Cologne came on the clock with the third pick of the second round, he held his breath... only to watch the Express select left wing Riley Stevens instead. Three picks later, the New York Americans selected Thomas Landry with the sixth pick in the second round, 16th overall. While Stevens remains with Cologne to this day, he has not developed into the caliber of player that Landry has, with less than half of the total practice hours of Landry and less than a quarter of the total points scored this season.

Season 34 Trade Deadline

The Second Opportunity

tradeCentre_2013_splash.jpg

After a successful season in the VHLM with the Bratislava Watchmen that was capped off with a Founder's Cup, Landry was called up to the Americans' VHL roster for Season 34. New York's roster was loaded with legends such as Phil Rafter, Ryan Sullivan, Alexander Labatte and David Smalling, giving the team one last push for a Continental Cup. Finding himself playing on the first line with Rafter and Smalling, Landry had a quiet, but decent rookie season. With a rebuild imminent it became clear, much to Landry's dismay, that he would be traded to bring in draft picks for the rebuild. After missing out the first time through the draft, Kendrick came calling to attempt to acquire Landry before the bidding would even begin in the off-season. 

When the smoke cleared, Cologne's final offer wound up being two second round picks. New York's general manager, Christopher Miller ultimately decided to hang on to Landry for the playoff push, feeling he could get more than that for the promising young player. Unfortunately for the Americans, their quest for the Cup ended in the first round of the playoffs against Alexander Chershenko's Wranglers in seven games. Calgary would go on to be defeated by the Helsinki Titans in the finals, fittingly also in seven games. But for the Americans, their eleven year streak of reaching the playoffs was at an end and the rebuild was now looming.

Season 34/35 Off-season

The Final Opportunity

jeff-carter-kings.jpg

With New York now shopping Thomas Landry with the season over, offers began to come in for the young forward. Vasteras and Davos came in with big offers right off the bat, but Kendrick seemed unwilling to budge from his previous offers or to come close to matching the sort of offers being presented to Miller. Thusly, Cologne quickly faded from view as a destination for Landry, ending his hopes of joining former teammate Davey Jones. Ultimately, he became a member of the HC Dynamo as the first big piece for the rebuilding squad. He would be joined by goalie Lennox Moher, wingers Tony Stark and Earl Parker, along with the promising Matteo Gallo, who had joined the team through the draft a season prior. Landry also showed his dedication to his new team by signing a five-year contract, indicating he was in for the long haul and intended to never switch teams again.

The Express had done well for themselves a season prior as well when they landed center Davey Jones, who had played with Landry on the Watchmen in Season 33. In his first season in the VHL in Season 35, he exploded, scoring 44 goals with 42 assists, winning the Christian Stolzschweiger Trophy for the best rookie. His production continued in the playoffs, as the Express dispatched the HC Dynamo with ease in five games to win their first playoff series in franchise history. It seemed as if the Express had the last laugh over Landry and the Dynamo and would remain a constant obstacle to their title hopes.

Season 36

Epilogue

DS_DecRoadTrip_12152011_12_8124.jpg

However, Davey Jones had noticed during his time with Cologne that the team had consistently failed to bring in new talent through free agency. Although the Express were a good team capable of making the playoffs and winning a series or two, he began to doubt they would ever be able to land the final player needed to win a cup. With his intentions of not returning after Season 36 becoming evident, Kendrick decided to get a return now, as opposed to getting nothing after the season. With being teammates with Thomas Landry once again one of his primary desires, Davos had all the leverage they needed along with their offer to reunite the former Watchmen and the trade became a reality shortly after the season began. With the addition of Odin Tordahl in free agency, the HC Dynamo had suddenly become a powerhouse. Halfway through the season, Davey Jones leads Davos in total points as the HC Dynamo sit atop the European Conference standings. Meanwhile, the Cologne Express sit in fourth, ten points behind the third place Vasteras Iron Eagles. Without a major addition at the trade deadline, it appears as if the Express' run is over.

Hindsight is absolutely 20/20 and no one could have ever predicted things would unravel in the way they have. That being said, Cologne's run to the top never had to come to an end the way it did. Had Joey Kendrick, on any of the three opportunities he had, ponied up and acquired Thomas Landry, the Express could be the powerhouse of the European Conference instead of the Davos HC Dynamo. With Landry on the team, Davey Jones would have never left, which would remove two of Davos' current top four scorers. Instead, Landry and Jones don purple sweaters while Cologne prepares to potentially enter a new era in their history.

Jethro Novacek is a writer for the MSFL Times, the leader of hitting you right in the feels. He enjoys bantering with Richard Sherman, wishing NaVorro Bowman a speedy recovery and patiently awaiting the beginning of baseball season.

• Admin

Anyway, this does show how tight the margins for GMs are. People can look at the moves that were made but equally important are the ones not made. My NY GM tenure had 2 moves I should have made which would have made it much better.

An interesting look. A lot of What if's go into players and deals though anyways.

You said you didn't want to give up too much for him because he was a season ahead of me and was only that half a season worth of work. You didn't want to pay for something that in turn would have kept me in Cologne and helped us out. I tried to tell you I feel more comfortable around people I know and such and if you had, Cologne would be on top.

You said you didn't want to give up too much for him because he was a season ahead of me and was only that half a season worth of work. You didn't want to pay for something that in turn would have kept me in Cologne and helped us out. I tried to tell you I feel more comfortable around people I know and such and if you had, Cologne would be on top.

Once again a bunch of what ifs'. Because at the time the price I was told for him was higher, I was prepared to do that. If that's your excuse for saying you'd leave for FA after you said you wanted to be the franchise, than that's your choice. All this is is a bunch of what ifs'. It's like Kesler's podcast, a bunch of assumptions. Landry is a great player, but at the time it was the value.

But to spell it out completely, you said to acquire him because he was a friend. So has every single player I've had on my roster (told me to acquire a certain guy), when the value is too high on the projected picks it doesn't work that way. All 20/20 now.

That's all this article really is: looking back at events and wondering "what if" certain things changed and how it could have changed the current season/future.

That's all this article really is: looking back at events and wondering "what if" certain things changed and how it could have changed the current season/future.

Yup! A good analysis on things. I mean in the end there are a ton of different things that go back to one major thing, the Draft. Anyone of the teams ahead could've drafted Landry as well.

Yup! A good analysis on things. I mean in the end there are a ton of different things that go back to one major thing, the Draft. Anyone of the teams ahead could've drafted Landry as well.

And who knows what happens if I got drafted somewhere besides New York. If I'd have gone somewhere like Vasteras, which wasn't facing an impending rebuild, I probably don't end up on the block in Season 34.

My back Kendrick, I meant nothing negative. Was just saying it might have helped.

I understand what you were saying. I'm just saying, it's the same with kesler telling me "Go acquire this guy" when he was here, after awhile you sort of tune that music out. The way it comes across from you is that it's my fault entirely. Add that with the captaincy debacle haha

I understand what you were saying. I'm just saying, it's the same with kesler telling me "Go acquire this guy" when he was here, after awhile you sort of tune that music out. The way it comes across from you is that it's my fault entirely. Add that with the captaincy debacle haha

Well for me to be captain, I felt I should have gotten it but I wasn't around long enough. I mean my past history with Boom was pretty darn good and I knew he wouldn't disappear or anything. I understand how you feel, but looking back now, it would have been a good idea. As of right now, he wasn't acquired and things are the way they are and hopefully it's for the better in the long run all the way around.

Content: 3/3 - Would of, could of, (possibly) should of. Lots of potential opportunities for Jones to have ended up in Cologne, but none of them ever came to fruition. Would have been awesome to have had you on Cologne while I was there, but it didn't end up that way. I'm sure you'll do fine in Davos.

Grammar: 2/2 - I GOT ONE.

fans, however is = fans, however, is

Appearance: 1/1 - Yup.

Overall: 6/6