New Management in Oslo

Fire Tortorella

New Management in Oslo

4ofvocR.png

OSLO, NORWAY - It's been a long time since the Oslo Storm were relevant in the VHLM. The last Oslo team to win the Founder's Cup featured the likes of Keiji Torijama, Felix Zamora, Thomas Landry, and Karsten Olsen, all of whom last played in the VHL seasons ago. Many general managers have tried to bring success back to the Norwegian team, but none have succeeded. As a result of a lackluster season that saw the team lose 2-0 in the wildcard round to the Yukon Rush, the team's owners saw fit to once again go in a new direction. After an extensive search, the team decided to go with a familiar face around the league and brought in Jim Gow. Jim has previous GM experience with the Ottawa Lynx and Riga Reign, where he won two Founder's Cups and one Continental Cup respectively. It is the team's hope that Jim can bring continued success to a franchise still struggling to create a culture of winning. However, he will have to adapt, as the rules and culture of the VHLM have changed from when he was last in control of a team.

"I'm excited to join the Oslo Storm organization. I have to admit, I'm just a little unfamiliar with the geography and culture of Norway, but I'm looking forward to coming over and visiting before I actually start working. The league is a little different than I remember. They even gave players rights to pick where they want to spend their first season! All in all, the league has correctly shifted to more of a development focused league than a league focused on winning. Although it was a part of the league's culture at the time, it's a very valid criticism that the teams I won Founder's Cups with relied on some aging free agents that weren't practicing as well as some players represented by agencies well known within the VHL. This time around, I'm going to focus on maintaining success year in and year out with agencies new to the league. The VHLM is a stepping stone to the VHL it's important that we keep the pipeline flowing."

Next season will most likely be challenging as well. The team will lose star players Boner and Ko Kane to the VHL and is also without its 1st round pick due to a previous trade. Take away those players and there's not much left, but that's to be expected in a league with high turnover. However, with proper development and some timely signings during the season, it's more than fair to say that the team has the opportunity to provide an upset, whether that's in the wild card round or quarter finals.