Guessing at a S37 Mock Draft

CowboyinAmerica

Sure, it’s great that Kendrick offers his opinion in terms of mock drafts. But he is only one source, after all, and as long as he holds his GM spot, his predictions can be taken with a grain of salt.

That’s why, in medicine and in life, it never really hurts to have a second opinion. That’s why VHL Inside Scoop’s Zach Warren is set to give his own take into the upcoming S37 Draft now that the players are finalized and the VHLM season is over 80 percent finished.

1. New York Americans (via Calgary) – LW Tom Slaughter

Easy. While Xiao and Tremblay are already young, growing offensive weapons, Slaughter could become the next great scoring champion.

2. Riga Reign – D Slaeter Fjorsstrom

Mike has been searching for the next great defenseman for about four seasons, and he finally gets the perfect piece to complement last year’s acquired offensive weapons.

3. New York Americans – LW Logan Laich

First generation players are great and all, but let's be real: Devise does come with a background in producing high-TPE players. Plus, it’s safe to say that he has a passing familiarity with the franchise and may be happy back in New York.

4. Cologne Express – G Blaine Olynick

The big draft for Cologne will be S38 when they have four first round picks, but that doesn’t mean you pass on a franchise goaltender this year. Especially if Chekhov is shipped, this one is easy. This pick allows presumed new GM David Collier to recreate in a different position of need if he chooses as well.

5. Calgary Wranglers (via Seattle) – C Konstantin Azhishchenkov

Calgary isn’t winning right away, so long-term activity and star potential are the keys here. Azhishcenkov could be the centerpiece to a new-look Calgary offense, and I believe GM Glasser values offensive firepower over defense with this pick.

6. New York Americans (via Vasteras) – D Ron World Peace

New York has already nabbed two offensive players, so it only makes sense they turn to the blue line with Low’s line mate of the future. After a slow December, World Peace has gotten back on track with his training and should be an easy first rounder at his current activity.

7. Helsinki Titans – G Kimmo Salo

When will the rebuild begin in Helsinki? If it’s next season, then Salo could be tabbed as the direct replacement to Tuomas Tukio in net. I would imagine GM Higgins does not want to be the agent for another goalie if he continues to manage, and this pick would allow him freedom to recreate elsewhere. Plus, Helsinki wants him here before Toronto selects slightly later.

8. Riga Reign (via Quebec City) – LW Jakob Linholm

Once again, activity is the name of the game, and Linholm has been very steadily improving despite getting a somewhat later start than other of his S37 draft mates. Already, Riga could be building a strong second line centered around winger Linholm and either center Damon Tyrael or Robin Gow.

9. Toronto Legion – C Lars Strummer

What do you get for the team that has everything? A player that is steadily improving and can contribute far down the road. Strummer is currently collecting welfare more often than not, but that may be fine with a Toronto team that will be right up against the cap line the next two seasons anyway.

10. Cologne Express (via Davos) – C Mikael Svensson

Once again, long-term projectability is the name of the game for Cologne as they begin rebuilding. When Svensson’s on, his analytically-based training style will always mean maximum returns. But will he have the drive to continually train? He’s certainly worth the risk with the 10th pick.

I have ties to Rig, Calgary, New York, Quebec, and Seattle. NOW WHAT?! Man, a severe lack of European conference teams on my played for list. Cologne...draft me. 

We are choosing to go a different route sorry. Unless you switch to Goalie

hmm I can't remember when you were in Seattle. 

Pajari played out his final season in Seattle for a Cup run. We lost to Calgary in the finals the last year before expansion. Then the next year Noah! sent Lebedev to New York to join us for our Cup run. Up until that moment Noah! and I had never played on a team before so part of that was the reasoning behind those two deals. But I have enough ties with people on your roster that I'd love playing with you guys again without any hassle. Toast, Rockstar, Noah!, 808, Damien (although mostly inactive) and still a few members I have yet to play with that I'd like to. Namely Cowboy, +/- an Sball who I'd like to play with at some point. 

Pajari played out his final season in Seattle for a Cup run. We lost to Calgary in the finals the last year before expansion. Then the next year Noah! sent Lebedev to New York to join us for our Cup run. Up until that moment Noah! and I had never played on a team before so part of that was the reasoning behind those two deals. But I have enough ties with people on your roster that I'd love playing with you guys again without any hassle. Toast, Rockstar, Noah!, 808, Damien (although mostly inactive) and still a few members I have yet to play with that I'd like to. Namely Cowboy, +/- an Sball who I'd like to play with at some point. 

right, now I remember

Edited by gregreg