The one about Updating

Will

26 minutes ago, Will said:

I won't be able to do forum notifications because IPB gives no way of interacting with them. But I am looking to at least give notifications on the Portal.

Maybe a small pop up next time you log into the portal that says “Your player has been updated” or something

@Will

Is it possible to get the "Update Log" from our Player Page to also be a tab on our Player Management section?

We can view our previous updates on our Player Page in a new window, but it would be cool to have another tab of it while on the Player Management screen. I know we have Pending Updates, but I'd like to be able to see what I've already done without opening another page. :)

• Senior Admin
2 hours ago, DollarAndADream said:

@Will

Is it possible to get the "Update Log" from our Player Page to also be a tab on our Player Management section?

We can view our previous updates on our Player Page in a new window, but it would be cool to have another tab of it while on the Player Management screen. I know we have Pending Updates, but I'd like to be able to see what I've already done without opening another page. :)

Sure, that makes sense since one of the main drawbacks is that it's a little harder to keep track of what you claimed with this system. Plus it's as easy as copying the log already featured on player pages ? I'll get that added. 

3 hours ago, Will said:

I won't be able to do forum notifications because IPB gives no way of interacting with them. But I am looking to at least give notifications on the Portal.

That's not exactly accurate :)

• Senior Admin
6 minutes ago, emidas said:

That's not exactly accurate :)

A more accurate answer would be that (from what I understand) you can't access them externally, like through the API, without making some modifications to IPB itself which I'd rather avoid. If I'm missing something, I'm curious ;) 

8 minutes ago, Will said:

A more accurate answer would be that (from what I understand) you can't access them externally, like through the API, without making some modifications to IPB itself which I'd rather avoid. If I'm missing something, I'm curious ;) 

You could manipulate notifications on the forums the same way we automate forum posts over in the SBA. There's a table for notifications.

EDIT: Can't spell words

Edited by emidas

• Senior Admin
6 minutes ago, emidas said:

You could manipulate notifications on the forums the say way we automate forum posts over in the SBA. There's a table for notifications.

Hmm I suppose that's true. I'll have to look into that some more, thanks! 

But isn't that a little overkill for automating forum posts? Why not just use the REST API like I do with player creation?

6 minutes ago, Will said:

Hmm I suppose that's true. I'll have to look into that some more, thanks! 

But isn't that a little overkill for automating forum posts? Why not just use the REST API like I do with player creation?

No problem. Note there are a few columns in the members table you'll have to iterate in order to get the notification to show. If you look into it more seriously, I can point you in the right direction.

It was about the same amount of work, honestly. Doing it how I did allowed to me learn and understand the IPB backend better than their techs do for other projects. 

• Senior Admin
2 minutes ago, emidas said:

It was about the same amount of work, honestly. Doing it how I did allowed to me learn and understand the IPB backend better than their techs do for other projects. 

That makes sense, my experience with IPB is pretty much non-existent outside of the rest framework. Doesn't help that my PHP knowledge is rather limited. 

• Senior Admin
4 hours ago, DollarAndADream said:

@Will

Added an Approved Updates tab to Player Management.

• Head Moderator

Question: does this mean player updates in the sim will happen much faster or even weekly now? I presume this new system allows you to import player attributes into the engine in a bulk action?

• Commissioner
3 minutes ago, tfong said:

Question: does this mean player updates in the sim will happen much faster or even weekly now? I presume this new system allows you to import player attributes into the engine in a bulk action?

Much faster!

I doubt they will do it every sim but literally they could if they wanted to. The portal can export a ratings file that loads directly into STHS to update everyone in one go. Process takes about a minute.

4 minutes ago, tfong said:

Well I’ve been applying peoples updates almost mins after posting cuz I’m bored and I look through them and approve them. @Will could awnser when they are implemented now tho. Would be cool if they could be automatically updated once a week.

1 minute ago, Beaviss said:

Well I’ve been applying peoples updates almost mins after posting cuz I’m bored and I look through them and approve them. @Will could awnser when they are implemented now tho. Would be cool if they could be automatically updated once a week. Hour

Do that

• Senior Admin
1 minute ago, Beketov said:

Much faster!

I doubt they will do it every sim but literally they could if they wanted to. The portal can export a ratings file that loads directly into STHS to update everyone in one go. Process takes about a minute.

Yeah that ^ 

I'm not going to do it everyday but probably every 3-4 at minimum. I just update them before the sim I just did and it went flawlessly! 

1 minute ago, Will said:

Yeah that ^ 

I'm not going to do it everyday but probably every 3-4 at minimum. I just update them before the sim I just did and it went flawlessly! 

Soon it will be so automated we won’t even need you will.....

your creating your replacement :P 

• Head Moderator
1 minute ago, Will said:

Yeah that ^ 

Sweet, I asked a good question then :D

At least I know for my next player i should update sooner rather than later since i dont have to wait till halfway thru the season for a sim update lol.

• Senior Admin
1 hour ago, tfong said:

Another question: Going forward, where will we store things we are holding onto like free weeks, doubles etc from donation, stores, giveaways? 

Giveaways can be claimed through Other the same way you claimed the 3 for linking your player

Donations should be kept track of in the Donations thread where you claim your donation, likewise Player Store purchases will be kept track of through the player store thread (and admins will edit your player as necessary, like with +2 attributes for example) for now - but I'll be encorporating the Player Store into the Portal in the future. 

• Senior Admin
2 minutes ago, Higgins said:

What's the deal with 1000 word media now. How can I claim the same link in two separate weeks? 

@Beketov and I are considering whether or not to keep allowing those multi-week media spots as opposed to posting part 1,2, ect like was always done in the past. 

But not going to break the link validation over it, make a comment on original post each week when you go to claim it and link to that. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • Senior Admin
29 minutes ago, Fire Hakstol said:

On link validation, couldn't you just submit the link for the topic once and then the link for the post itself? Would the tool recognize that as two separate posts or would it recognize they're the same?

@Will

No, that would work fine. 

• Commissioner

An extra head’s up in regard to this: If you need anything from your old update thread(s) you should gather it up and PM it to yourself. I will be going through and hiding all the old update forums next week. They’ll still exist in case anything absolutely needs to be grabbed after, as all our unused forums do, but they won’t be accessible to anyone.