Halifax 21st Press Conference

ShawnGlade

9 hours ago, ace_five_ said:

WB7wpI2.png

I like the questions this week, so I'm going to answer this press conference lol

1. The VHLM is super important to me!  Even though my player has already moved on through the VHLE and I'm now in my first season in the VHL, the M still holds a special place in my heart and it's actually one of the most exciting leagues because of all the energy and enthusiasm that a lot of new players bring.  It seems like sometimes people lose that spark as they move up or things become more about just maintaining a level of development over time.  But I've seen a lot of creativity ad original forum posts from M players and that's really fun and exciting!  Also just the raw enthusiasm for beginning to build a player-- that's just not there where you're 5,6,7 seasons in.  

GIF by Denyse®

2. Well, for Halifax, we like our team pretty much the way it is and we're not really looking to trade any of our players away.  That being said, if there's an opportunity to add one more player that could give us a depth option in the playoffs or really solidify our forward core, I think we could potentially try something there-- but it's certainly not a dire need and not something we're going to do if it doesn't make sense.

Mascot Not Adding Up GIF by BuickMake It Happen Makes Sense GIF by WE tv

3. The number I'd guess is 57-- which would be 6 more than last season.  I'm cautiously optimistic that we'll have a strong finish to the season, but our schedule certainly doesn't get easier down the stretch as we'll be seeing a lot of Miami, Mexico, and Saskatoon, so those are games that can definitely make a difference.

Happy Birthday GIF by Minka Comics

4. If my player got traded, my top choice would be Malmo.  I really like alot of the people they have on their team and they've been super fun to interact with on the forum-- and they make amazing posts!  I also super love the Nighthawks aesthetic and Sweden is awesome. AND also, the Malmo Redhawks are probably my favorite SHL team-- not that I watch a ton of the SHL-- but I always thought the name and logo were pretty cool and, honestly, I think the Nighthawks' is even better!

Redhawks Ishockey GIF by Manne NilssonMalmo Ff Fans GIF by Manne Nilsson

5. I'd give a lot of credit to my first GM here in the M, which was @AJW.  When I joined the league, I definitely did not expect to become so invested in it and it took me almost a week to even join the team discord after I joined the team because I didn't really know what to expect or if it was something I would enjoy.  AJ was super welcoming and made it really easy for all of us new players to come together and just have fun.  He also did an incredible job of helping to explain things when we were confused, but also just making himself available if we ever had questions.  Honestly, if it wasn't for AJ, I don't think I'd be on VHL still and probably would have missed out early on-- so thanks AJ, you're the best!

Proud Emma Stone GIFSeason 3 Thank You GIF by The Office
6. 72.  It's a no brainer win-win.  I get $360,000 for sitting out all season AND my team can replace me with a player that can actually shoot the puck and defend well and will probably help win more games.  This is better for the team! And obviously for me too lol

Show Me The Money GIFSeason 1 Starz GIF by The Rook

1. It's important to me because I make less mistakes and have more time to decide what kind of player I wanna be. Going into the VHL I wanna be the best member I can and hope to find people I can have fun with so more time the more chances to make connections 🔗 

2. Before being traded I expected a few moves in the final days, didn't expect so much action. Heck, I even put my trade request in the background, surprise! 🎉 

3. 60 wins sounds wonderful to me, but there's still time left for the other teams to make moves so I'll say 59 instead, don't want to jinx it. 20-5-2 in our last 27 🔮 

4. Whenever I made my request to be traded earlier in the season, it didn't matter where I went, if it was a bottom feeder I would have stayed down another season and earned less, my favorite team is Las Vegas though. Happy to continue being on a competitor, seems like it worked out nicely fully capping most of the time 🧢 

5. It was my sister but not really anyone specific now, memories from everybody that helped me in the past and all of my friends from San Diego for different reasons. I take it all in! 🧠 there's still more to learn to be even more successful!!

6. Zero. 27 × 5,000 is only 135k and I still have 1.5M in he bank. Even with my presence not being needed as much now, there's teammates who still need my help in depth positions and drills during warm ups 🤝 

Edited by diacope

1. VHLM is important because iv enjoyed my start to a fun career in it

2. im not to sure. i believe in our gms to make the best moves for the team and i'll keep playing my best.

3. i hope we win 61 but i hope we win as many as we can. i enjoy winning

4. id be fine traded to a team that is in need of my talent's to help win games to get them close to a championship

5. the whole team and the management that built such a good team to make my player as good as he can be 

6. no amount of money would make me sit. i wanna be out there battling with my team and help win games

On 6/18/2024 at 12:25 AM, ace_five_ said:

WB7wpI2.png

1. It is where players begin their careers and hone their skills. I would say that is pretty important.

2. From our standpoint, not much.  I think we have what we need to have a very successful season. I am expecting some movement, but nothing too crazy.

3. I would guess 55 plus or minus 1. I would be excited to hit the 60 mark.

4. First I would be disappointed to get traded, but I would be happy to be on any team.  I am still pretty new in the league to have a favorite.

5. So far, our GM has been the most helpful in helping me strengthen my game.

6. Zero...  I need all the games I can get.

7 minutes ago, LucyXpher said:

1. "Halifax or Philly, I'd say. A lot of the logos in the VHLM feel really...uninspired? Boring? I'm not sure, the only reason I like Philly is because they have that gasoline green which is one of my favourite colours, but Halifax feels very...original? Like, if you took a lot of other logos and slapped them on a different team they could still work, but with Halifax's, it's personalised and unique to Halifax." 

2."I don't want to say ten, so...seven? Six?" 

3. "This is so awkward uh...I think...Dancalot, Simmons, and Khan? You know...me...obviously, but I can't do it without them, so. Okay next question--" 

4. "I have so many...Fome by Junior and Gloria Groove...Super Ultra Graphic Modern Girl by Chappell Roan...melodrama by Angelina Mango...Qué Más Quieres by The Warning...AMEIANOITE--I have so many--I'll make a playlist and send a link to the group chat and see what they think."

5. "God...I mean...it has to be Hyman. Has to be." 

6. "Maybe our league, honestly. We're really talented but because we're in the 'minors' we're not like...given that same respect, I guess? Weird to explain." 

On 6/17/2024 at 10:25 PM, ace_five_ said:

WB7wpI2.png

1. The VHLM in general is pretty important because it’s where you see which players have the potential to be the next superstar in the VHL.

2. A few trades from other teams to try and compete with us.

3. 60 big ones. 

4. None because all the others teams are worse than Halifax.

5. @LucyXpherbecause they are encouraging Boris to be the best player he is able to be.

6. Boris doesn’t care about money, he just cares about how many injuries he is able to accumulate throughout the season.

2 hours ago, LucyXpher said:

1. I have a sweet spot for Halifax😅 Don't particularly like saskatoon?🤷🏽‍♂️

2.minimum of 8 games

3.I think all of the mentioned above players should hit the 100points

4. Alan parsons project - sirius. I know it's short but still good to pump up before stepping on the ice

5. Conn Smythe should go to Mcdavid win or lose. Too good to ignore

6.After seeing the jerseys in black and gold, I really want them in that color

9 hours ago, LucyXpher said:

1. After seeing the swaps this past week in an article, I still think Vegas, because it's my favorite, and Mexico City, Miami went up the ranks ⬆️ for their solid schemes, showing me that they can fit improve other teams current brands. On the other end, are the worst design is Houston, but only in it's swapped and miniature form, alternate logos when?! 🌶 😏 

2. First of all, I love how you added stats to this question! Looking at be teams I can feel a lean on winning 50% of all games, rounding up if it's uneven. With my assumptions, 6 wins added to our total ➕ 

3. Really wanna say 3 but it could only be 2 with players still improving, would be awesome if all 5 were able to collect enough 🙏 

4. Has to be a classic to instill the reminiscences of the past 💭, hard enough to get the blood flowing 🩸 but clear enough to sing with your teammates 🎶, I have too many options to choose just one so I included a description to a potential playlist instead 😂 

5. I really liked Bobrovsky earlier on but since the collapse there's a few more selections, McDavid for Edmonton right now, Barkov if he comes out swinging and I guess Bobrovsky still has potential if he has a crazy game 📸 

6. Everything is pretty much flawless 💅 but if I had to change something, make the logo a different shape, every logo is circular and I like when they are unique 🤷‍♀️ 💎 

Edited by diacope

23 hours ago, LucyXpher said:

1. Mexico City Kings have a pretty sick colour scheme, I've always liked the Red, Black, Gold, and White together. San Diego, Philadelphia and Houston have pretty bad colour schemes. They just don't mesh together.

2. At least 6, they're all tough teams, but I'm confident we can get majority.

3. I think everybody there reaches 100 points. They're all great players.

4. Something rock, maybe AC/DC.

5. Obviously, Connor McDavid, win or lose.

6. Honestly, I can't think of anything at the moment that would be better than what we already have.

1. halifax is my first pick for the best because i like blue and i cant say who has a worse one. i like them all they are all pretty cool in there own way.

2.honestly i wouldnt mind winning them all! so i wanna say all 10. but to not jinx us. 7-8

3.  i think they can all do it. just gotta keep the grind and work hard

4. definitely hells bells by ac/dc

5.  Bobrovsky was definitely my vote for it. he stole like 3 games for florida and stole the final game for the big win. no bob no cup

6. nothing i like the team i like the name i like the logo and im fine with the colors. im a fan of any blue!

4 hours ago, TheDuke said:

5.  Bobrovsky was definitely my vote for it. he stole like 3 games for florida and stole the final game for the big win. no bob no cup

I totallly agree!  McDavid's point total was incredible, but he didn't do much for 5 games of the series and collected 8 points in two blowout wins, where as Bob was good all playoffs and was great in the 4 games they needed to clinch the finals (even if he did have a few off games) 🤷‍♀️

On 6/23/2024 at 6:07 PM, LucyXpher said:

1. For me it is a toss-up between Las Vegas and Miami...  I really like a simple design with 3 colors max. Regarding the bottom, Philadelphia is probably the hardest to determine what's being represented.

2. My guess would be eight out of ten. I just think we have a really solid team.

3. I think that at least Robin and Dancalot will make the 100-point mark.  It would be sweet for all of them to make it.

4. Du hast by Rammstein.  I don't know what they are saying, but it is always a crowd-pleaser.

5. Since I am doing this after Monday night, I know that it is McDavid and I am in agreement.

6. I would not change a thing.  Great team, a great logo and I really like the colors.

20 hours ago, Quanack said:

Du hast by Rammstein.  I don't know what they are saying, but it is always a crowd-pleaser.

I can help you with that I am a native German speaker (okay technically Swiss German, but I am fluent in 'real' German).

On 6/23/2024 at 6:07 PM, LucyXpher said:

1. I just made a trading card for a player on Houston and I really liked how the colours worked together, so I'll have to say Houston is my favourite. The worst has to be the Marlins. I'm not a fan of those colours to begin with, let alone together.

2. I would have to go with 8/10. 80% wins would be great and would solidify us as the team to beat for the Founder's Cup.

3. I think we can get at least half the team over 100 points. Everyone works so well together and it's shown all season long.

4. I suggested a few songs to go onto the team playlist but my favourite has to be Go Time by Down With Webster. It always gets me going and ready to play.

5. I'm going to have to go with Florida by a slim score of 2-1. The winner of the Conn Smythe has to be Connor McDavid.

6. I think we could get a logo with a little more movement on it. Something that could be a little more intimidating than the common circular theme with logos.

11 minutes ago, ace_five_ said:

mplPTh9.png

1. Woooo-- I mean, huh, how about that?  I'm going to try not to celebrate too hard since our real goal is the Founder's Cup.  It's definitely a big accomplishment for the team though, so we'll celebrate that maybe after the playoffs or something.  Curse?  There better not be!  I will sacrifice John Season as many times as it takes to satisfy Simon and avoid some silly curse! 

200.gif200.gif

2. Well, we have full control of our destiny here.  If we beat Ottawa tomorrow, then we get Philly in the first round, otherwise it's possible Ottawa gets in.  I think we can beat either team in a 7 game series, but Ottawa scared us a little recently with a shootout game so maybe we just win tomorrow and take Philly first round?

Amazon Prime Video GIF by The Man in the High Castle

3. My player is an enigma.  I can never tell when I'm going to go 10 games without a point or score 4 points in a single game.  So I mostly ignore her and I'll check the stats at the end of the season and probably be okay with it.

Black And White Shrug GIF

4. Boris Bone-Breaker @RileyL is an all-timer for me, especially because he plays exactly how you'd imagine he would.  I also really like the Dorji Khan story that @Oddpurplefly has created and the Mongolian Stallion he's become!
beast mode hockey GIF by Capitals

5. Yes! I spray paint the bottom third of my stick a matte white and then use white tape (stole the idea from Joe Pavelski).  It makes the stick super hard to see against the ice and harder to read on shots.  Same reason why goalies mostly wear white equipment.  That's a real thing, look it up if you don't believe me lol. Gotta take every advantage you can get!

Ice Hockey Sport GIF by NHL

6. Lol no chance in hell.  I don't think I could stop 1/10 shots by an old Pat Maroon, let alone a prime Pat Kane.  But for a million dollars, I'll try 😅

Happy Patrick Kane GIF by NHL

1. I don't think there's a curse. Regular season and playoffs are 2 different hockey games. Some teams are built for the season and some are built for the playoffs... then some are built for both.. *cough cough* Halifax 

2. I feel it's going to be a hard fought battle. Us being number one in the league, the pressure is on us to win ,but every team in the playoffs earned their spot and are able to win it all

3. I was happy until the last stretch of the season where he started slacking. I hope he's just resting to be fresh and a game changer in the playoffs

4. So a name? Name alone I like my fellow teammate  Boris Bone-breaker @RileyL

5. Jersey tucked but also sporting the old style jofa helmet

6. I bet I could. I mean if you're unorthodox and awkward and he can't read you.. he might have a hard time. But then again he could probably put the puck in from center ice and I wouldn't of had a chance

1. no i dont think so and if there is. i think our team can break it and keep winning

2. who ever we play, the game plan will be the same and thats winning and moving on.

3. im very happy with how my player has been doing. much better then last season

4. Boris Bone-breaker is pretty funny and i like it

5. blue laces, tinted visor and my right side of my jersy is tucked.

6. yeah i'll just spam stacking the pads over and over and pray

21 minutes ago, TheDuke said:

6. yeah i'll just spam stacking the pads over and over and pray

lol, good luck with that 😝 tbf, I’d pay to see it— though I don’t have a million dollars… unfortunately for me

On 7/2/2024 at 5:27 PM, ace_five_ said:

mplPTh9.png

1. I really don't believe in curses, but being a hockey player, I am a little superstitious. Hopefully, we can exercise those demons.

2. At the time I am doing this, we have already swept the first round, so I am feeling pretty good.

3. My player did pretty much what I was expecting given all the talent on this team.

4. Boris Bone-breaker is an awesome name.

5. I am pretty particular about my stick.  I like black tape on the shaft and white tape on the blade.  Also, I pack my bag the exact same way every time... I don't want to forget anything.

6. Not a chance.  Maybe if the net was 2 feet shorter and 2 feet narrower...  Oh who am I kidding, I probably still could not do it. LOL.

4 minutes ago, Quanack said:

1. I really don't believe in curses, but being a hockey player, I am a little superstitious. Hopefully, we can exercise those demons.

6. Not a chance.  Maybe if the net was 2 feet shorter and 2 feet narrower...  Oh who am I kidding, I probably still could not do it. LOL.

unlucky tv show GIF

Also, real.  Kane is too good 😅

On 7/2/2024 at 3:27 PM, ace_five_ said:

mplPTh9.png

1.WoooHooo! I mean… who knows, I personally don’t think so but I guess we will see right?

2. Well going into the first round Boris felt pretty confident and with us sweeping Philadelphia he has just gained even more confidence.

3. Yes, very!

4. I like Dorji Khan. @Oddpurplefly

5. Boris plays with a wooden stick without tape on either end of the stick, he doesn’t wear a visor but if it was up to him he wouldn’t wear a helmet.

6. Easy, just flying poke check him every time 😉