The activity killer? [1/2]

hedgehog337

jeff_the_killer__shhh__by_aqilesbailo-d6g3ina.jpg

*here it is!*

We thought S52-54 drafts were really good...until the VHL saw a huge influx of members after the S60 draft thanks to our recruitment crew. Suddenly the second round picks became very valuable and even thirds are not easy to sell anymore. Everybody are hyped for drafts, then for the season itself. Discord is booming, the VHL Portal is critically acclaimed by new and veteran members. What could go wrong here? Seems like everything here is perfect. Every, but one. This thing is very pesky since it is one of the reasons why the activity could be killed and hype fades away. It's very important to move out of that period without losing very much of first-gens since it's indeed a boring time. So what I'm talking about? Here is is:

Spoiler

MID - SEASON!!!!

I believe this is not only VHL's problem, but it don't matter. This period is not entertaining enough, period. I think the reasons for that are obvious, but I'm going to name them anyways:

1. Routine effect. We all are hyped about the start of the season and the first set of games are usually fun to watch. But then we need something new to stay hyped, but all we see are same old games...that's it. We can't wait for playoffs to start and then off-season. Especially if you're playing for a team that sucks and you know they'll be eliminated early;

2. We used to see an entertaining trade deadlines with some blockbuster or just interesting trades. Now we're seeing all contender teams already having no money even before the season starts. So nobody would be interested to take risks for probably nothing. Alright, we will see a trade which supposed to be a blockbuster between NY and Davos. The problem is that we already know about that. I guess, recruiting new members before may be our new wave of having an entertaining trade deadline;

But where's the solution though? Can I name only problems and leave it to others to solve? Maybe, but there is one thing that could help:

- I know we had a discussion about implementing mini PT during the season. Maybe it's time to put it into the mid-season and don't even at me with the TPE inflation, ok?

or

- Make seasons shorter a.k.a. shorten the regular season by a week or so a.k.a. the @Beaviss idea which brought some discussion, but it didn't go further than a poll. Also could help to avoid boring mid-seasons. 

By the way, we can merge that first and second suggestion into one to not lose much TPE.

We can also put some more ideas, but we really need to figure it out before members will leave this site just because the mid-season is boring as hell. I'm also having trouble to be fully involved here in that period and I'm sure I'm not the only one. I do really hope first gens won't be too bored with the mid-season slump as S63 draft is about to be even more huge than the last one and we can help them with that.

That's it and I'm out.

To keep people here I would support a sort of streak system, basically where if you reach the TPE cap 3 weeks in a row then you get like an extra TPE per week on the streak It wouldn't be huge but free TPE opportunities would keep people involved. 

1 minute ago, ShawnGlade said:

To keep people here I would support a sort of streak system, basically where if you reach the TPE cap 3 weeks in a row then you get like an extra TPE per week on the streak It wouldn't be huge but free TPE opportunities would keep people involved. 

Yes, but I would change it to point tasks only. See my response in my previous media spot.

• Admin

I prefer just option 1 tbh, I think we have loads of scope for more interactive PTs as I've alluded to before in some 590 article, so we should try that out first before moving on to more drastic measures.

Interesting take. As a new member its hard to know what the off  season doldrums are like, as I started near the beginning of the season. It is good that older members are trying their best to keep people interested and active