A Look at Each VHL Goaltending Situation

Hybrid1486

I was going to consider delving into this in MS form, but since @Sonnet brought up the discussion already I was thinking I would just take a quick look at what each team's long-term situation in goal looks like.

Calgary - Brick Wahl is just getting off the ground, and the extremely promising second-round pick in S64 should be able to backstop the Wranglers into the 70's

Davos - You would think Stoffiday's unexpected retirement would have thrown them for a loop, but Finn Davison is a rookie who looks more than capable of moving forward as the primary goaltender for the Dynamo. He could stick around just as long as Wahl.

Helsinki - Basically the same situation as the first two teams, except Alexander Pepper is one year older than Wahl and Davison. He's not going anywhere

New York - One of three teams with a GM player as the goaltender, Ismond Kingfisher was a S62 rookie who is also still on his rookie contract. He's also not going anywhere...gee, that seems to be a theme so far.

Quebec/Vancouver - Tristan Iseult is the first goalie on the list who isn't still on his rookie contract, but as a S60 draftee he still has three seasons of eligibility left after this one.

Riga - The second GM goalie, Kallis Kriketers is a S63 rookie who is now the fifth starting goaltender still playing on a rookie contract. I'm just realizing as I'm writing this how many teams are in that situation.

Seattle - Roger Sterling isn't on his rookie deal anymore, but the S61 draftee still has four seasons of eligibility left after this one. That's a spot that won't be opening up anytime soon.

Toronto - The disappointing Johnny Carison led new GM @Devise to make JB Rift his GM player, and the S64 rookie makes three GM goalies and six netminders still playing on their rookie contracts. Six. Of eight.

Moscow - The only team that isn't settled in net for the next few seasons, @Victor still has yet to create his GM player. I believe he's gone into net twice, with the most recent try ending with a HoF induction for Greg Clegane. Could he go for 3?

Edited by Hybrid1486

2 hours ago, Gooningitup said:

Chances are with so many promising goalies id be shocked if Victor went goalie with his GM player. Id assume one of them in this draft will be his target in the second round 

Yea,

Most of these GM goalies were made when Goaltending depth in the league was an issue.

Seeing as that is no longer the case, I would assume we're gonna see less GM player Goalies from here on out.

4 minutes ago, Spade18 said:

Yea,

Most of these GM goalies were made when Goaltending depth in the league was an issue.

Seeing as that is no longer the case, I would assume we're gonna see less GM player Goalies from here on out.

except the issue was fixed and you still made a goalie...tisk tisk

6 minutes ago, Beaviss said:

except the issue was fixed and you still made a goalie...tisk tisk

Because some mother fucker had no draft picks that year and needed a goalie ASAP since mine was forced to retire =P 

Kingfisher WAS originally a center, but the whole STZ thing really fucked my day up.

4 minutes ago, Spade18 said:

Because some mother fucker had no draft picks that year and needed a goalie ASAP since mine was forced to retire =P 

Kingfisher WAS originally a center, but the whole STZ thing really fucked my day up.

tisk tisk

There is always an option to draft a goalie, then after 2 or so seasons retire my goalie and put him as the starter. That's for the easier cap situation and long-term competing. But that's if that goalie is active as hell. This draft has only Nixon who might have a chance and he prolly goes to Moscow anyways. And then less active Cole and Chase. 

7 minutes ago, hedgehog337 said:

There is always an option to draft a goalie, then after 2 or so seasons retire my goalie and put him as the starter. That's for the easier cap situation and long-term competing. But that's if that goalie is active as hell. This draft has only Nixon who might have a chance and he prolly goes to Moscow anyways. And then less active Cole and Chase. 

I was going on the assumption that you wouldn't prematurely retire the goalie you prematurely retired your center to create. Whatever works.