Give VSN more publicity

As you know, VSN is the official sports network of the VHL. We have articles and podcasts weekly that have many different themes, but one big problem is that no one seems to care, as most VSN articles fail to hit 75 views. My Rewind series mainly gets views due to the old timers enjoying the nostalgia and revisiting, not because new people are coming and reading it. One thing that could help solve this by putting VSN articles in the featured articles section of the Portal. 

Another potential solution is a little out there, but perhaps we should make a reviewing system for VSN articles, that would reward people for reading VSN articles and leaving a review. Each article would be worth at least 1 review point regardless of length. BUT if it's 500-1000 words, you get 2 points. If it's over 1000, you get 4 points. This is a little strange but I think this would make VSN more popular. These are two potential solutions I thought of, but I'm sure there are better ideas

• Commissioner

Isn't a VSN person in charge of the features articles on the portal? I'm not sure who does those anymore but it seems like an easy fix haha

7 hours ago, Matt_O said:

As you know, VSN is the official sports network of the VHL. We have articles and podcasts weekly that have many different themes, but one big problem is that no one seems to care, as most VSN articles fail to hit 75 views. My Rewind series mainly gets views due to the old timers enjoying the nostalgia and revisiting, not because new people are coming and reading it. One thing that could help solve this by putting VSN articles in the featured articles section of the Portal. 

Another potential solution is a little out there, but perhaps we should make a reviewing system for VSN articles, that would reward people for reading VSN articles and leaving a review. Each article would be worth at least 1 review point regardless of length. BUT if it's 500-1000 words, you get 2 points. If it's over 1000, you get 4 points. This is a little strange but I think this would make VSN more popular. These are two potential solutions I thought of, but I'm sure there are better ideas

giving it more publicity is your job .-.

Two things:

1. VSN should definitely be given more publicity if it is to be seen as a legitimate part of the league. Otherwise, it's just a bunch of people with fancy titles and the authority to say "HEY LOOK AT MY MEDIA SPOT" in VHL Discord without getting weird looks. Sadly, that's really all it is at the moment--if I write a media spot and then go and post it in VHL Discord (which I've done once or twice for my longer ones), then I'm practically a VSN writer already, just without the job pay. That shouldn't have to be the case.

2. But if we do give more publicity to VSN, then what's the guarantee that it won't just be a bunch of people writing media spots and annoying people to look at them? I agree with @Sonnet here in that it's getting too formulaic. I like the rewind series. I like reading power rankings and all that. But nothing that VSN does right now is enough to make me come back week after week to see what the latest is. I already know what's going to be released, and if I care to check (which is sometimes but not always), then I'll do it. But sometimes, knowing what I'll get is enough to make me stop caring. 

What I'd suggest is a possible re-evaluation of what VSN does. Instead of the same quantity of articles (in most cases, your friendly neighborhood media spots) being put out every week, I'd suggest longer, extensively planned, extensively fact-checked articles packed with interesting information and statistics, perhaps brainstormed and handpicked to be the best ideas by the VSN crew as a whole. Quantity should not be an issue here--these articles can be released around once every two weeks, to allow quality to substantially increase. If quantity is still an issue, perhaps VSN could simply hire a few more writers to make up for the once-every-two-weekliness.

That's just my two cents though. I'm sure there are many other ideas to improve things.

19 minutes ago, GustavMattias said:

What I'd suggest is a possible re-evaluation of what VSN does. Instead of the same quantity of articles (in most cases, your friendly neighborhood media spots) being put out every week, I'd suggest longer, extensively planned, extensively fact-checked articles packed with interesting information and statistics, perhaps brainstormed and handpicked to be the best ideas by the VSN crew as a whole. Quantity should not be an issue here--these articles can be released around once every two weeks, to allow quality to substantially increase. If quantity is still an issue, perhaps VSN could simply hire a few more writers to make up for the once-every-two-weekliness.

That's just my two cents though. I'm sure there are many other ideas to improve things.

I see what you're saying. Not trying to toot my own horn but with my rewind series, usually they are up around 1,000+ words, with pretty extensive research. In almost every case I wasn't around when these things happened, so I have to look for sources and find new stuff to write about. I do like the idea of just having a sit down with the entire crew and having a discussion about what ideas we can bring to the table that would make people want to come back week after week and see whats new, and re-evaluating what we put out. By chance, what exactly would you consider something that you would come back week to week for? 

21 minutes ago, Matt_O said:

By chance, what exactly would you consider something that you would come back week to week for? 

Really, anything at all, so long as an interesting article can be written about it. Right now, the subject material isn't really the problem with VSN--it's the combination of "this is (in most cases) just another old media spot" and "we see the same thing week after week" that brings it down, in my opinion.

• Commissioner

I agree with what you said... then I read something like this with just no real extra research put in:

2 hours ago, Josh. said:

I agree with what you said... then I read something like this with just no real extra research put in:

So this was supposed to be released alongside a VHL Power Ranking. However, due to our editor being busy it could not be done. Doing both is what caused this one to be slimmed, if I continue with one then it will go back to more detail.