Opinionated VHLM Season Recap (So Far)

cody73

The VHLM season is halfway done at the moment, and each team is slowly starting to gear up for either the playoffs, continuing the tank or maybe looking to buy/sell, given the trade deadline is next week. I've decided I wanted to take a look around the league and see whose doing well, whose not, and if I see any trends. This is my VHLM season recap so far, going off where each team fares in the standings: 

1. Ottawa Lynx :ott: (24-8-3, 59 points, 152 GF to 73 GA) 

The Lynx have by far been the best team in the VHLM all season, mostly capped off by the outstanding play of Pekka Pouta, whose wins can be chalked up two major factors, one being exceptional play given he has 7 shutouts, and a very strong defense in front of him, as he's faced an average of less than 20 shots a game. In addition, the team can thank Don Draper for his exceptional play as of late, as he has reached 50 points in 35 games, placing him on a 102 point pace currently. Other key names to contribute to teams success include Pascal Batz, Blake Laughton & ACL TEAR. Ottawa is best off staying pat, as they're more certainly one of the Founders Cup Favourites going into the 2nd half. 

2. Philadelphia Reapers:phi: (27-5-3, 57 points, 137 GF to 63 GA) 

The Reapers are essentially neck and neck with the Lynx, edging them out for being the leagues best defensive team, while having a 50 point scoriler of their own in Johns Frostbeard, who has 52 on the year. These guys are also probably best off staying put, and are neck and neck faves for the FC, however I personally do feel that if they could find a trade for some more offensive firepower, they should probably pull the trigger. The Lynx may have a similar goal differensial to the Reaps (79 to 73), but they have a massive lead in goals scored.... something to think about going into this last stretch. 

3. Saskatoon Wild :ssk: (24-10-1, 49 points, 130 GF to 89 GA) 

The Wild have certainly been interesting this year, and could be seen as a sleeper option when it comes to the playoffs. Led by top league scorer Rocky LaGarza, these guys could be seen as potent if he remains hot in the 2nd half. However, this is another time where I could see a team opting to looking for some insurance. The teams 2nd best scorer is Milan Griffin, who has a measly 40 points to LaGarza's 56. It's up to the Wild, but personally, I'm team #GETROCKYHELP if they really want to rival either the Lynx or Reapers. 

4. San Diego Marlins :sdm:(22-10-3, 47 points, 122 GF to 100 GA) 

One of 3 expansion clubs, the Marlins so far have surpassed people's expectations going into the season. The teams strong play can be attributed to the league's 2nd best defenseman in terms of points, Lincoln Tate, who sits at 49 for the year. This is another case where a team could look to buy, but given the Marlins already gave up their first rounder in a trade earlier in the year, maybe looking towards the future might be their better option. Tate should certainly have value on the open market, as would Edgar Tannahill. 

5. Halifax 21st :hfx: (21-10-3, 45 points, 123 GF to 111 GA) 

Oh, how the mighty have fallen. Last year's Founders Cup runner up have seen themselves be a more middling team this year. One of the most frustrating decisions has to be seeing former 21st player Cody Smith blossom into the league's best goal scorer. That being said, the teams leaders are players here from last year in Blake Gaudette & AJ Axelsen. This is a club that could be in the market to buy, but it depends on if they feel they have enough to go for it. Might be best to stay pat and hope to play spoiler. 

6. Mexico City Kings :mck: (17-13-4, 38 points, 78 GF to 76 GA) 

The Kings should not be this good.... seriously. The team has no offence, yet somehow they're winning games thanks to some solid lockdown play. However, the Kings are in the same situation as the Marlins, having sold their first round pick earlier in the year. Given the state of this club, they should either stay pat or look to sell. 

7. Minnesota Storm :osl: (18-15-1, 37 points, 82 GF to 95 GA) 

The true outlier of the league. How does a team that has scored less than they've let in have a postive record? One can assume it's a mix of luck and a easy schedule. Personally, I don't see them keeping up this play, and they should see if they can probably get the tanks rolling in Minny.... this could be a great target for the Wild to make a deal, IMO. 

8. Mississauga Hounds :mis: (17-16-3, 37 points, 122 GF to 120 GA) 

The Hounds are the true underdogs of this season, having 3 players in the top 10 for scoring, the leagues leading goal scorer and the best defenseman in terms of scoring. The issue has been they've been leaving their goalie, Rayz Funk, out to dry. From what I've heard, GM Jerry Garcia wants to stay pat, but.... this is another target for Saskatoon in my eyes if they can get 'Sauga to talk. 

9. Las Vegas Aces :veg: (9-22-3, 21 points, 87 GF to 145 GA) 

The Aces are easily trying to tank while also signing young guys that they hope will stick around so they grow into a contender. It's not a bad strategy, but personally they have a guy who could be a huge asset to a club in MORPHEOUS DESTRUCTOUS. A bruising, physical defenseman, DESTRUCTOUS could be very helpful to a contending club and sending him off would help the tank. 

10. Yukon Rush :yuk: (5-26-3, 13 points, 56 GF to 114 GA) 

The Rush are another team that's hoping to tank it's way to the top.... and honestly, I have 0 idea if they have anything to really sell at this point. I say stay pat, and hopefully they out-tank Vegas & Houston. 

11. Houston Bulls  :hou: (2-27-5, 9 points, 63 GF to 164 GA) 

I think we've found our Sam Hinkie, guys. #TRUSTTHEPROCESS, Houston! 

Early playoff predictions/projections

1v8: Lynx vs Storm: Lynx in 5

2v7: Reapers vs Kings: Reapers in 6

3v6: Wild vs Hounds: Wild in 7

4v5: Halifax vs Marlins: Marlins in 6

Second round:

Lynx vs Marlins: Marlins in 7

Reapers vs Wild: Reapers in 6

Finals:

Reapers vs Marlins: Reapers in 5

The Lynx will probably beat the Marlins but I just felt like throwing in a wild prediction. I considered picking the Hounds over the Wild but ultimately pick the Marlins vs Lynx as my sexy upset. It probably won't happen, but just to make my predictions kind of spicy. Even if the Lynx beat the Marlins I still think they would lose to the Reapers

Edited by Matt_O

13 minutes ago, Matt_O said:

I considered picking the Hounds over the Wild but ultimately pick the Marlins vs Lynx as my sexy upset.

I'm disappointed that you think @InstantRockstar is sexier than I am.

39 minutes ago, Lincoln Tate said:

Fantastic article! I appreciate the shout out, it's been a wild ride so far and I'm hoping to be a Marlin the whole way through, let's take this to the finish line! Great work, keep those recaps coming :)

I might do more, not sure yet... and you're welcome.