Jeff Downey - Press Conference

JeffD

1. do you want to see a VHL(M) team in Oregon?

2. do you think you could hit at least 200 TPE?

3. what made you return into the VHL?

4. any preferable VHL destinations?

5. same for VHLM?

6. how's Sasky?

7. is Oregon Trail the best game ever?

8. how happy are you to have +1 in playoffs considering that you're pre-much not playing at all?

9. have you ever been in both Portland and Seattle IRL?

10. what type of D you wanna create?

1. You have played under 1 minute per game on average in the playoffs - what is the reason behind that?

2. In your opinion, who is the most annoying player to play against in VHLM?

3. Got any teams you really like in VHLM or in VHL?

4. Is first round selection in the VHL draft the main goal when talking about the next couple seasons?

5. Got any plans for the off-season?

6. Noticed you are a big dude, 6´4 and 220 lb - do you plan on being a physical player when going forward?

7. What kind of music is played in the Saskatoon dressing room?

8. Did you play any other sports when growing up?

9. Least favorite TV show of all time that everybody else around you seem to like?

10. Do you play video games?

On ‎6‎/‎24‎/‎2019 at 5:01 PM, hedgehog337 said:

I would love to see a franchise come to Oregon and am looking to head up a campaign to make it happen.

Based on my history in this league that is a big ask but I'm already over 60 so I think I have a shot. We will see.

I actually swing by the forum once or twice a year to see who is still around and whatnot. This time I swung by and these days I have a bit of spare time so I decided I would give this whole thing a shot again.

Heading back to Helsinki would be pretty cool to try and have a better career than my first player.

5. same for VHLM?

I don't really have a destination in mind for the VHLM. I think going to Vegas would make for some good content though so that would be cool.

6. how's Sasky?

Cold.

It isn't a game. It is a fight for survival.

8. how happy are you to have +1 in playoffs considering that you're pre-much not playing at all?

I feel that I contributed greatly to our run but unfortunately just couldn't carry my team all the way.

I have never been to either. I haven't been West of St. Louis.

My initial focus I think will be on a good skating defensive guy. It would be cool to get some offensive flair afterwards but we will see how the build progresses.

On ‎6‎/‎27‎/‎2019 at 3:59 PM, jRuutu said:

1. You have played under 1 minute per game on average in the playoffs - what is the reason behind that?

I feel that Saskatoon may have been attempting to tank my draft stock for the VHLM draft so they could potentially pick me up as an undrafted free agent. I cannot confirm this but I have no other explanation.

2. In your opinion, who is the most annoying player to play against in VHLM?

Unfortunately with me averaging under a minute per game I am not even sure I played the same player on multiple shifts. Hard to form and opinion on a guy if you never see them.

3. Got any teams you really like in VHLM or in VHL?

I have always been a fan of the Helsinki Frostbite as my grandfather was their first captain and I'd like to follow in his footsteps. The Mississauga Hounds have taken a chance by drafting me and are also the closest team to my hometown so I'd say they are my favourite in the VHLM.

4. Is first round selection in the VHL draft the main goal when talking about the next couple seasons?

The S68 draft class has a ton of talented defensemen so cracking the top round is going to be tough. I think the GMs around the league will see my commitment to my training and I could stand a chance of being picked that high but it will be tough.

5. Got any plans for the off-season?

Training. Training. Training. I am fully commited to realizing my VHL dream so that will be my only focus this offseason.

6. Noticed you are a big dude, 6´4 and 220 lb - do you plan on being a physical player when going forward?

The main focuses of my game are defensive as well as my physicality. I feel it is a big positive if you can make the other team think about where you are on the ice at all times and the best way to do that is by throwing your body around.

7. What kind of music is played in the Saskatoon dressing room?

It was Old Town Road on repeat. I won't be sad if I never hear that song again.

8. Did you play any other sports when growing up?

I played football and baseball through high school. I still play baseball in the offseason to work on my hand-eye coordination but that may need to come to an end if I make it to the VHL.

9. Least favorite TV show of all time that everybody else around you seem to like?

I'd probably have to say Rick and Morty. Everyone I know seems to like that show and I cannot stand it.

10. Do you play video games? 

I like to play some video games every once in a while. Lately it has been quite a bit of Rainbow 6: Siege. I'll always play Chel when the boys are over.

On ‎7‎/‎8‎/‎2019 at 6:39 PM, TheLastOlympian07 said:

1. What brought you back to these parts?

I have some more free time these days and decided to swing by the forums as I have about once a year since I left. This time I got talking to some members and was convinced to make a player.

2. HOw has life treated you since you left?

Life has been good. I'm eight years into my post school career and things are looking good.

3. Would you really name your team the Oregon Trails?

I mean I think it is a great team name. Better than that trash from Hawaii.

4. Would you run another #Jeffership?

Oh this is a hard one. I'd love to be involved in another thing like this but I'm not sure that can ever be replicated. I would absolutely love to read through that thread again though.

5. Thoughts on the VHL teams?

Sad to see that Vasteras isn't around anymore. I'd still love to go back and play for the Titans if given the chance. And down with these rumours of expansion to Hawaii.

On 6/24/2019 at 2:01 PM, hedgehog337 said:

5. same for VHLM?

6. how's Sasky?

1. I would love to see a team in Oregon! Such a big potential for new fans there. 

2. I do believe in myself enough to reach that much TPE. I am still new to the league but I know I can reach it. 

5. This is my first season in the VHLM and I am loving it. So I will be coming back 100% next season. 

6. Very cold. I’m from California so it’s a big difference. 

7. It is for sure up there. 

8. That is really going to help a lot. Our team is already strong so it will only help even more. 

9. Yes I went to school at the University of Oregon and have been there a ton. It’s such a beautiful place. 

• 1 month later...

1. The race for 3rd in the S68 is heating up. What do you think gives you an edge over the others in your draft class?

2. There are two expansion franchises that will participate in this season's draft. Would you prefer to join an establish club, or to grow with one of the new teams?

3. Have there been any teams contacting you leading into the draft? Is there anything specific that attracts you to certain teams over others?

4. What has been most surprising so far for you in S67 in the VHLM?

5. Houston has had an interesting season, being the "worst" of the good teams (large gap of wins between Houston and San Diego). What do you think of Houston's chances heading into the playoffs?

6. It seems certain that Downey will make the jump to the VHL for S68. What was your favourite part of your VHLM career?

7. The US wasn't able to bring home a medal at this year's WJC. Is there anything you would have changed in hindsight?

8. What was it like to be involved in the management process so early in your career?

9. If you could pick one thing to change about the VHL, what would it be?

10. What's your favourite pre-game meal?

@JeffD

Edited by jack

On ‎8‎/‎18‎/‎2019 at 8:26 PM, jack said:

1. The race for 3rd in the S68 is heating up. What do you think gives you an edge over the others in your draft class?

I'm not sure I really have an edge over the other guys around me. I know defense is in high demand around the league right now but the two guys that are far and away the best prospects are also defensemen so that could hurt my value.

2. There are two expansion franchises that will participate in this season's draft. Would you prefer to join an establish club, or to grow with one of the new teams?

Personally I think starting out with an expansion franchise would be an awesome experience and one I would love to go through.

3. Have there been any teams contacting you leading into the draft? Is there anything specific that attracts you to certain teams over others?

I have had three or four teams reach out to me. Nothing specifically attracts me to any particular team but a team taking interest and reaching out to me is a definite positive.

4. What has been most surprising so far for you in S67 in the VHLM?

Probably the whole getting traded thing. I came into the year expecting to play the whole year for the Mississauga Hounds but that changed prior to the deadline. I didn't mind the trade as it has given me a chance to compete, but it was definitely unexpected.

5. Houston has had an interesting season, being the "worst" of the good teams (large gap of wins between Houston and San Diego). What do you think of Houston's chances heading into the playoffs?

I believe once the playoffs start that anything can happen. While there is a clear gap above us in the standings we have been playing well lately and I think we can surprise some people.

6. It seems certain that Downey will make the jump to the VHL for S68. What was your favourite part of your VHLM career?

Oh that is a hard one. I'd actually have to say going through the draft process was great for me. I came in with high expectations and was humbled when I fell to the fourth round. I have used that as motivation to have what many are calling a very good season.

7. The US wasn't able to bring home a medal at this year's WJC. Is there anything you would have changed in hindsight?

That was a pretty big disappointment to be honest. I am not sure if I would really changed much as I feel the team selected was the best that we could have brought to the tournament but it was a learning experience in strategy and tactics which I will use in the future.

8. What was it like to be involved in the management process so early in your career?

It was great. Although the tournament didn't end the way we wanted it was an amazing experience and I am hoping it leads to a possible job in the future.

9. If you could pick one thing to change about the VHL, what would it be?

That's a good question. I'd have to say trying to get a system in place that leads to some more build diversity would be nice.

10. What's your favourite pre-game meal?

Some sort of pasta is always a good pre-game meal. Maybe a nice penne with a vodka sauce and chicken breast.

• 1 month later...

@JeffD former supreme leader checking in.

1. What are/were your expectations for this season, and are you living up to them?

2. Downey's taken on a lot more of a two-way scoring build since leaving the Hounds. What motivated this change?

3. Since you're likely of the opinion that Vancouver will beat Calgary and make the cup final again this season, give me one reason why this will happen.

4. What do you see yourself doing with your career? Do you think you'll stick with Vancouver as long as you can, or explore your options elsewhere?

5. What are your predictions for Halifax this season?

6. What have you learned so far as AGM in Halifax? Anything you were surprised to find out about management?

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/24/2019 at 1:52 PM, GustavMattias said:

1. What are/were your expectations for this season, and are you living up to them?

My expectations are right about where I am at. I got picked by the defending champion Vancouver Wolves so I didn't expect to step into a top role right off the hop. 

2. Downey's taken on a lot more of a two-way scoring build since leaving the Hounds. What motivated this change?

It just seemed like that is what most teams were more interested in coming to the draft. I started as a stay at home guy but my value is no doubt higher if I can play both ends.

3. Since you're likely of the opinion that Vancouver will beat Calgary and make the cup final again this season, give me one reason why this will happen.

Because Calgary is trash.

4. What do you see yourself doing with your career? Do you think you'll stick with Vancouver as long as you can, or explore your options elsewhere?

So far so good with Vancouver. They are giving me even more minutes than I ever expected in my first year and they are treating me very well so far.

5. What are your predictions for Halifax this season?

We will be making the playoffs, I have no doubt about that. I think with a couple of more moves we could make some serious playoff noise.

6. What have you learned so far as AGM in Halifax? Anything you were surprised to find out about management?

One thing that surprised me was how hard it is to keep players active. We have a good group of guys over there but keeping them all active is a lot of work.

• 2 months later...

Bana's Quick Q's

What are your thoughts on your season?

What are your thoughts on how your team is doing?

Who do you think wins MVP?

Who has been your teams best player?

If you were to drop the gloves with any other VHLer, who would it be and why? don't be afraid to tag a bitch. 

Who makes it to the finals out of North America?

Who makes it out for Europe?

If the VHLM were to move Mexico but keep logo/name, where would you rebrand em to?

What are your thoughts on 12 days of Christmas?

What are you doing this year for the holiday season?

What are you hoping to get for presents this year?

Tell the league and those who lurk creepily reading these... a fact about you as a member.

[A few for your to pick and answer etc]

@JeffD

On 12/16/2019 at 2:49 AM, Banackock said:

What are your thoughts on your season?

I could not be much happier with it I don't think. While I would like to see some better offensive numbers the Wolves' season could not have gone much better than it did.

What are your thoughts on how your team is doing?

First place in the league baby. Let's bring it all home in the playoffs!

Who do you think wins MVP?

HHH has been truly pivotal in our team being tops in the league this year. I think it could be his award to win.

Who has been your teams best player?

I would have to say HHH but we have a lot of good players.

If you were to drop the gloves with any other VHLer, who would it be and why? don't be afraid to tag a bitch. 

@HulkHogan - I'm the real champ

Who makes it to the finals out of North America?

Gotta stick with my squad here, the Vancouver Wolves.

Who makes it out for Europe?

Riga has looked very strong down the stretch here.

What are your thoughts on 12 days of Christmas?

Excellent idea and it has kept people engaged throughout.

What are you doing this year for the holiday season?

Me personally? Working. Only day I get off is Christmas day.

What are you hoping to get for presents this year?

I could do with a new hockey stick.

Tell the league and those who lurk creepily reading these... a fact about you as a member.

I am a 29 year old electrical engineer who wants nothing more in life than to farm.