GM 275: Helsinki Titans vs. HC Davos Dynamo

VHL Games

• Commissioner
4 minutes ago, Quik said:

pretty dumb of Simon to send out bots after the first 6 shooters...oh well

I mean it’s designed not to have bots, that’s kinda just on us haha.

Also goal #350 for Thompson. Despite having a terrible season I’m still on pace to hit that elusive 400!

1 minute ago, Beketov said:

More meant that there's better players (obviously) and it should probably have some sort of formula to take the best available shooters vs. any random player. Hell, even if it just went by forwards, Meyers should have been next. Obviously, there's not much we can do about it, since there's only 5 shooter slots to fill, just a bit of an odd decision formula from Simon.

5 minutes ago, Beketov said:

Also goal #350 for Thompson. Despite having a terrible season I’m still on pace to hit that elusive 400!

Terrible? It's a pretty tight scoring race across the board. Certainly not the domination Thompson had, but relative to other top scorers and such, competitive while probably on the whole lower than usual across the board is how I'd describe it.

4 minutes ago, Quik said:

More meant that there's better players (obviously) and it should probably have some sort of formula to take the best available shooters vs. any random player. Hell, even if it just went by forwards, Meyers should have been next. Obviously, there's not much we can do about it, since there's only 5 shooter slots to fill, just a bit of an odd decision formula from Simon.

Agreed, didn't even notice that and you'd figure with all the damn shootouts it'd have come up. That is certainly nonsense though.

• Commissioner
1 hour ago, Quik said:

Yeah, I’m not sure what it’s based on really. Was going to say alphabetical but I think our little special character makes them all go to the end so who knows.

59 minutes ago, Devise said:

Terrible? It's a pretty tight scoring race across the board. Certainly not the domination Thompson had, but relative to other top scorers and such, competitive while probably on the whole lower than usual across the board is how I'd describe it.

I more so meant terrible by my usual standards. Scoring across the board is down by a bit for sure but the amount of games I’ve had where I don’t score at all, often without even a point, is much lower than usual. I’m on pace for 39 goals this season when I’ve had over 50 the last 5. Same with being on pace for 83 points despite having over 100 the last 5 seasons. I wouldn’t say I’ve been dominant those seasons, there’s always been some competition for me, but 18 goals and 30 points lower than a 5 season average isn’t good.

• Admin
7 hours ago, Beketov said:

I more so meant terrible by my usual standards. Scoring across the board is down by a bit for sure but the amount of games I’ve had where I don’t score at all, often without even a point, is much lower than usual. I’m on pace for 39 goals this season when I’ve had over 50 the last 5. Same with being on pace for 83 points despite having over 100 the last 5 seasons. I wouldn’t say I’ve been dominant those seasons, there’s always been some competition for me, but 18 goals and 30 points lower than a 5 season average isn’t good.

Cry me a river. I had 80 points last season for no reason at all. Your "terrible" season would be a career year for Leph Twinger (S62 notwithstanding) despite having pretty much identical builds. You're gonna make the HOF unlike the 3 other forwards who just retired this week, despite similar TPE levels.

• Commissioner
10 hours ago, Victor said:

Cry me a river. I had 80 points last season for no reason at all. Your "terrible" season would be a career year for Leph Twinger (S62 notwithstanding) despite having pretty much identical builds. You're gonna make the HOF unlike the 3 other forwards who just retired this week, despite similar TPE levels.

How dare I have 1 good player out of every 5-10.

• Commissioner
1 hour ago, Victor said:

Have you ever gotten close to this level of TPE earning before?

Holik finished at 1000, most averaged around 800. TPE levels in general are higher than average now though.

16 hours ago, Victor said:

Kinda my point to yours @Will in BoG about stats being "relative" and nobody would complain if they are. We are already seeing people complain. Nobody wants their numbers to go down, period. Even if the whole of the numbers go down, even if defenders are barely getting by a point per game pace the reality is we still compare this stuff to regular HoF numbers and less than 100 points for most forwards is considered average. Yet in this era especially as the seasons go on 100 points is like a god damn milestone that a few players will be lucky to hit. 

Somehow a top earning TPE player considers his season "terrible" despite being a few goals shy of the goal scoring lead. Not to bring that debate into here, because I'll probably respond there in kind...only pointing out that even now without any of the things discussed being in play we see members not happy regardless of how "relative" the stats are. Unless we change the metrics people want to be able to get the stats that they have always gotten to a certain degree. HoF numbers still look like HoF numbers. Ergo, the relative stats argument is garbage. Everyone wants to hit "tiers" with their players based on their perceived TPE. It's always been that simple, messing with those tiers and changing them means losing members if they don't hit those tiers. 

• Senior Admin
5 minutes ago, Devise said:

Kinda my point to yours @Will in BoG about stats being "relative" and nobody would complain if they are. We are already seeing people complain. Nobody wants their numbers to go down, period. Even if the whole of the numbers go down, even if defenders are barely getting by a point per game pace the reality is we still compare this stuff to regular HoF numbers and less than 100 points for most forwards is considered average. Yet in this era especially as the seasons go on 100 points is like a god damn milestone that a few players will be lucky to hit. 

Somehow a top earning TPE player considers his season "terrible" despite being a few goals shy of the goal scoring lead. Not to bring that debate into here, because I'll probably respond there in kind...only pointing out that even now without any of the things discussed being in play we see members not happy regardless of how "relative" the stats are. Unless we change the metrics people want to be able to get the stats that they have always gotten to a certain degree. HoF numbers still look like HoF numbers. Ergo, the relative stats argument is garbage. Everyone wants to hit "tiers" with their players based on their perceived TPE. It's always been that simple, messing with those tiers and changing them means losing members if they don't hit those tiers. 

I mean I think there's some distinction between stats and attributes, I was referring strictly to attributes in the BoG and my point was nobody has the right to claim unfairness if everyone is decreased relatively. Of course nobody wants their stats to go down, although I would propose that on this version of STHS we could probably reduce attributes significantly and still see similar stats with the same level of 'randomness'..just do the little weight this version puts on attributes vs sliders, but there's here nor there.

I see what you're saying, but at the same time we can't just cater to people that are upset with their player performance lol. The fact is, and this was my point in BOG, if you want to move to an engine where top TPE players always perform like top TPE players than attributes have to go down. That's a fact. There will be a group unhappy about it, but the reality is there's nothing unfair about it. 

Also, I would argue vehemently against the notion that we lose many members due to how their player performs, I think that's quite a bit of hogwash and literally can't recall anyone leaving citing their players performance. In fact I would suggest we'd be worse of if peoples players performed exactly how they hoped 100% of the time. 

• Admin
10 hours ago, Beketov said:

Holik finished at 1000, most averaged around 800. TPE levels in general are higher than average now though.

(S1) G - Robert Sharpe; TPE: 188
(S6) LW - Alexander Beketov; TPE: 593
(S14) G - Alex Young; TPE: 481
(S21) RW -  Niklas Kristensen; TPE: 217
(S25) C - Jason White; TPE: 506
(S32) G - Evgeni Chekhov; TPE: 675
(S39) RW - Jackson Miller; TPE: 825

https://vhlforum.com/topic/26238-s48-g-jakab-holik-tpe-1017/

OK so you had one goalie who had shit luck in the playoffs and no other players who put up HOF TPE levels: https://vhlforum.com/topic/16036-hall-of-fame-players-by-position/

Not sure where you're getting the notion the sim hates you, you're basically a very late bloomer in VHL terms whose best players have you been your last couple.