Dil: A Game 7 Story

Matt_O

I saw hogan write about this and took his idea, but I will make it different. Lets start from the beginning, shall we?

@DilIsPickle was selected seventh overall by the Calgary Wranglers in S64, a draft in which they picked up superstar netminder Brick Wahl in the second round. Calgary took Mark Gebaurer fourth overall as well, but he would later be traded to Moscow for Elasmobranch Fish. 

Dil was also hired as the New York AGM in a time when @Spade18 started to fall out of the VHL loop. Dil started acting as Interim GM for New York in S66, and they made the playoffs as the third seed in the NA, and had to take on Vancouver. In Game 6, long time New York American hater @eaglesfan036 scored the series winning goal in overtime to defeat Dil for the first time. But wait, it wasn't over yet. His beloved Calgary Wranglers were waiting for Vancouver in the next round. In Game 7, double overtime, Shawn Glade would send Vancouver to their first finals appearance since they moved from Quebec. Dil was 0-2 against the Wolves so far.

It doesn't end there. The very next year, S67, Dil no longer was in charge of NY. He was loyal to Calgary, and guess who they faced in round one the next year? Vancouver. It went seven games again, but this time, things ended differently. Just kidding. Dil lost again in game 7 overtime, this time to a goal scored by Ben Hafkey. Dil was truly on suicide watch after this, as he left no comments on this game post. This brings us to glorious S68.

S68 might be the most hilarious moment in VHL history. Dil, long time Wrangler, who was incredibly loyal, was traded to his arch-rival team in the Wolves, who had beat him in back to back game 7 overtimes. He was very upset and even retired, until everyone yelled at him and then he unretired. Guess who matches up with the Wolves in round one? The Wranglers, dil's old team. The emotions were flying high, and it was pushed to a game 7. Wouldn't you know it, the Calgary Wranglers pulled out the victory in game 7 without dil. Dil is now 0-4 in playoff series and has never won a playoff series as far as I can remember. Dil losing to his old team is truly poetic. This time though, he wouldn't go down silently.

His tirade in discord was unlike anything I have ever seen (not including the vhlm gm discord channel, of course). Sadly I don't have any screenshots but it was quite the spectacle, I can assure you.

So what's next for Dil? He signed a contract extension with Calgary last offseason after he made everyone think that he was leaving. He is stuck on Vancouver for the time being. His change to defense will most likely pair him alonside Jagger Philliefan, who is an absolute unit. Kudoes to @Philliefan for absolutely killing it this year, and maybe helping me win my fantasy league. Unfortunately I also picked myself as the third forward and I sucked, so I'm hoping Kastelic and RSJ outweigh my player enough for me to finish top 3 in the league.