A User's Thoughts on the D.C. Dragons

KC15

Ok. Now that the VHL draft has come and gone, I can be a little more open (really, I wasn’t open before?) about my desire to play for the D.C. Dragons first, second, and third choice. It still goes without saying – or really it does not go without saying so I will say it – there are a lot of fine GMs and locker rooms in this league and I really am quiet sure that I would have been happy in a lot of places. It’s funny. I’m in 3 hockey leagues. There are quite a few who can say the same, but there are also people who are in one, but not one or more of the others, because, “there’s so much drama there” or “that’s a pay to win league”. My experience is that it is sometimes best to ignore these voices, because everyone’s experience is different. In my case, I am enjoying all three.

So, not from the perspective of my player, but from my perspective as a user, why so excited to play for D.C.? Well, some of my reasons do parallel the reasons I have written about from the perspective of my player, Guy Lesieur. But there is more to say from a user’s perspective.

First of all, I really did appreciate the scouting conversations from my GMs @Enorama and @McWolf. They were really open and honest laying out where D.C. is right now as a really recent expansion team, but also clear-headed about a strategy not to stay at 20 wins forever. I play in these sim leagues for one reason only – to have fun. I have the most fun when I enjoy the companionship of the people on my team – GMs and teammates – regardless of whether we win or lose.

I researched my GMs a little further by asking around about them amongst the users I had already come to know a bit. They got stellar reviews which solidified my desire to play in D.C.

But back on the subject of teammates, it was really a seller to see our captain, Mikko Aaltonen’s @GRZ enthusiasm for his team in the forum. Also, with Piotr Jerwa @majesiu coming to the team I was assured of one more great teammate. Maj was commissioner of the PBE when I joined that league as my first sim league. He did a phenomenal job and was such a positive force that I was so looking forward to his coming to D.C. for the first chance of us playing on the same team together. Not sure I knew he was coming in the beginning, but I knew it was a possibility that interested me.

I also like the challenge of taking a franchise that is near the bottom and helping it reach the heights. When you win a Cup after having notched only 20 victories, it’s far sweeter than when you join and existing juggernaut and just ride the coattails of others to glory. And as a beginning player, it is easier to jump in with a team that is not full of 750 TPE players and grow along with them than to try to crack the lineup of a stocked team.

So, days after the draft, what’s it been like in the D.C. Dragon’s LR? All that I had hoped it would be – and more. Every user I come into contact with is just great to be around and the energy around the team is sky high. If we are like that as a 20 win team in S68, imagine what it will be like as we grow in strength and eventually win the Cup!