Why stacking VHLM teams sucks for everyone [1/2]

zepheter

Some of you have been following my quest to reach 500 posts in 31 days, and I wanted to save something I genuinely want to talk about. So, for my 500th post, I've decided that I want to vent over my main frustration with the VHLM. For those of you that have been following the M recently, you know that Mexico City just traded for a bunch of top players to help set the team up for a cup run. Normally you'd look at this and say it makes sense because there's only really one other team that could stand a chance against them in the playoffs. But I say fuck that logic. The best M team I was on got a swift kick in the ass in the first round of the playoffs to a MUCH weaker team. Meanwhile a team that had literally one good forward line and defensive pairing won the Founder's Cup. So here's why I think it sucks from a few perspectives:  

Noobs

Having just got into the league, they receive a billion different recruitment offers from contenders and rebuilders alike. Why should a contender want a new player? Not only does it seem illogical for a good team to pick up a poorly rated player, but it completely ruins the lines. They barely get any playing time, and every time I look back that was one of the major factors in why I "quit" at first. One thing that irks me is that some GMs offer a 1st/2nd line role then trade for three or four guys to take their spot. The least you could do is trade them to a team that isn't going to compete this year. 

Stars 

Mostly your guys that are going to be in the M for one full season. They're expecting to put up some serious numbers and get large majority of the minutes. Picking up (new) players through trades and signings seriously diminishes their ice time. I've been on both sides of this, and it honestly sucks for the guys who are putting up insane numbers (like my current defenseman that had 10 goals and 21 points in 8 games who now has 25 points in 15 games) before trades are made. 

Loyalists 

Pretty much your players that have committed their player's entire VHLM eligibility to your team. It would seem practical that you'd give these players the most ice time just because they've made arguably the ultimate sacrifice in their VHLM career by wasting a couple seasons to stay down and help the team. By this point in time, most of these players are already highly rated and destined to make an impact. By trading for and signing players, guaranteeing them ice time, you're once again stripping your most valuable players of what they earned. I've unfortunately been in this position, and even though it makes me look like a cry baby, I wasted multiple seasons just to keep a team in contention and wasn't getting the credit and playing time I thought I had earned- and yes I had a pretty good scoring build. 

I think it's fair to say that you only need a line and some spare change of highly rated players on your team. Stacking your team doesn't guarantee success, and sometimes you're forced to give top players less time to find the right chemistries. And if that doesn't work you're pretty much fucked. We have to entice our newer players to stay active, and squeezing them into a stacked team with practically no playing time isn't going to make them happy. Anyway, if my team goes on a tear I'm going to look like an asshole, but I just wanted to give some of the perspectives I've had since joining the league in March. If you have any comments, questions, or concerns for my health you may certain do so below. 

650 something words 

self note- claiming 12/1

Edited by zepheter

8 minutes ago, zepheter said:

Noobs

Having just got into the league, they receive a billion different recruitment offers from contenders and rebuilders alike. Why should a contender want a new player? Not only does it seem illogical for a good team to pick up a poorly rated player, but it completely ruins the lines. They barely get any playing time, and every time I look back that was one of the major factors in why I "quit" at first. One thing that irks me is that some GMs offer a 1st/2nd line role then trade for three or guys to take their spot. The least you could do is trade them to a team that isn't going to compete this year. 

This should absolutely not be happening as the #1 priority of the VHLM is development, not winning. GMs should be very clear in their pitch where their team is at and how much playing time someone will get. Some players may prefer being on a contender with limited minutes while others may want to max out their playing time. The choice should entirely be up to the new player, and if their situation changes or they want to move they should be able to do so quickly. 

12 minutes ago, eaglesfan036 said:

This should absolutely not be happening as the #1 priority of the VHLM is development, not winning. GMs should be very clear in their pitch where their team is at and how much playing time someone will get. Some players may prefer being on a contender with limited minutes while others may want to max out their playing time. The choice should entirely be up to the new player, and if their situation changes or they want to move they should be able to do so quickly. 

This is the standard practice for any VHLM team. Any GM saying 'Top line minutes!' and then playing them on the third line (for example) are usually called out in private if it is caught. 

On the opposite side of that double edged sword... well sometimes the GM does play them in the offered spots, but our job as GMs in the VHLM is to also encourage activity on top of growth and acknowledge the work they've put into their character.  

Let's say I sign a guy at 30 TPA and give him the last second line spot, and then sign another saying they'd be playing on the third line. 

If the second guy climbs above the first guy in TPE, they climb up the teams depth chart too, and while it looks like I just went against my offer I'm also following the standards for GM'ing in the VHLM. There is no way to make anyone happy, but the person who's maximizing their player should play over someone who say... is earning nothing but welfare and practice. It's just an unfortunate reality about sports, even if it is just simulated. 

VHLM GMs are also required by rules to play active players over inactive players and that's how it should be. 

There's this exact thing going on in Saskatoon right now. 

We started the season with a nearly inactive McDagg who had far more assigned attribute points (I think it was like 110 - 70 or something like that), but since we drafted @Laflamme's active Damien Wolfe he was promoted to the second line in recognition of his efforts. McDagg has since returned and understands that Wolfe earned the spot above him because his life got kinda busy while he fell inactive. 

I know I trailed a little bit, but I think there needed to be some more context to the bolded.    

23 minutes ago, Peace said:

VHLM GMs are also required by rules to play active players over inactive players and that's how it should be.

I understand that if players don’t meet their end of the “bargain” they shouldn’t take precedence over players that are doing their part. I didn’t really explain that very well in my post. 

Review

The M is a tricky beast, and I think you've highlighted some key concerns that are hard to pin down/anticipate in light of vastly different class sizes from season to season. One important bit to note here is that the M is intended as a developmental league, i.e. to get players trained and to the pro environment rather than win championships with their team. You bring up a set of salient points in noting that (1) contenders will contact players and sign them for a spot buried on the third or fourth line - but if that's consistent among all VHLM teams, that means we've done a great job recruiting (if not, then the player needs to make a decision on playing time vs. possible championship aspirations) and (2) stars and VHLM loyalists need to be carefully balanced in an environment that's designed to get them out within a season or so. Maybe the league does need to take a look at the VHLM, as it's the first exposure new members will have to the league - but it's an environment that has at least 10 managers' eyes plus commissioners on it at all times. We need to take a look at it from a management + player perspective and make suggestions as to how we can improve it.

Thanks for the article!

• DollarAndADream changed the title to Why stacking VHLM teams sucks for everyone [1/2]