Unsung Hero - The Visionary

Tagger

While Will deservedly gets a lot of credit for his work in creating and maintaining the portal (the league's greatest ever addition in my eyes), I feel like an unsung hero when it comes to the portal would be @Devise as he was the person who first put forward the idea of transitioning the VHL to a more website-based outfit from the then, at the time, completely forum-based (outside of the indexes) VHL. Back in Season 55 (a really dire time for the VHL and roughly a year before we got anything close to the current portal integration), Devise sent out a message to a few high profiling members talking about his idea and while the change that Devise suggested was a bit more radical than the actual outcome (his idea leaned to taking a lot more away from the forums and onto the website), there's definitely some points he made in that PM he sent that were very true and have been realised following the greater portal integration. Quotes from the PM such as:

People wouldn't have to post in any claim threads to get points either, even for welfare. As I was mentioning to Lynch could easily do 1 TPE or 1 free attribute point upgrade per day. Then make a button for the user to claim it daily. 

Outside of the amount of it's use, this is essentially what we have today with our practice facility and, maybe there will come a time when Welfare and the like also transition onto the portal. Also:

Basically here what I'm pitching is that we take the popularity of the VHL as it stands now, the user base we have, and we integrate the VHL with it's current name onto a site such as this. We put them all together, and we try to make this thing as user friendly as possible. 

When I did my podcast with Enorama, he mentioned about how the Portal's ability to create a player (as opposed to the old forum system where you had to fill out a forum template) was a huge factor in his decision to create a player in this league, and I'm sure this is the case for several other of our newer high-profile members as well. So Devise's desire to make the league much more user-friendly definitely was justified given those results (Bear in mind, between S44 draft class and S61's draft class, outside of Beaviss and Spade, first-gens who actively wanted to engage in higher-up roles just were not there at all or burnt themselves out way too early, so first-gen development was a huge struggle at this time).

So hats off to you Devise!

• Commissioner
9 hours ago, Devise said:

Quik

Yeah give credit to the guy who came in when it was mostly done and then peace’s out instead of the guy who designed the look of the damn thing and was actually around for implementation. I see how it is :P