Spyro in comparison to recent Christian Stolzshweiger winners

DarkSpyro

Another offseason is finally about to come to an end and this past season we have witnessed the rise of many new faces. One of these many high caliber rookies was the sensational goaltender Jimmy Spyro, where he continued to enlighten the league with his unique and explosive goaltending style.

Filling in the backup role for the Vancouver Wolves and playing behind their Elite goaltender Greg Eagles, he managed to appear in 14/72 games this season recording a winning record of 9-3-1 and posting up some amazing stats with a 2.12GAA and a 0.923SV% with 2 shutouts for his first season in the VHL. These impressive numbers were enough to place Spyro as one of the top 3 goaltenders in the entire league, as well as one of the top rookie goaltenders the VHL has ever seen.

Despite generating such unexpected success in his rookie season, these achievements were not enough to warrant even a mention towards the Christian Stolzshweiger (Rookie of the Year) award. This doesn’t appear as much of a shock to the league due to him being a backup goalie with only 14/72 games played, which was nearly double the minimum games required for a backup goalie to play (8/72). This raises a few questions about what it would take to actually win the Rookie of the Year award as a rookie goaltender, and so for comparison we are going to look at the last time a goalie actually won it.

The most recent winner who was of the goaltending trade was not long ago back in Season 67, where future franchise goaltender Rayz Funk took home the award while backstopping the Seattle Bears in his rookie season. Not surprisingly, Funk played significantly more games with a whopping 65/72GP and with a record of 28-29-8, posting up a 3.08GAA and a 0.913SV% with 2 shutouts as well. While playing far and away more games than Spyro and having an even number of shutouts, Spyro clearly leads everywhere else. I’m more curious to see the runner up behind Funk for S67 compared to the winner of the S70 Christian Stolzshweiger.

The runner up behind Rayz Funk in S67 was a player named Lucas Nygren and he posted up some amazing stats that year playing in all 72/72 of his rookie games with 27 goals, 36 assists for 63 points as a Defensemen. Now we will compare Lucas Nygren with the winner of the S70 Christian Stolzshweiger Eric Summers, who also played in all 72/72 of his rookie games but with only a total of 7 goals, 32 assists for 39 points as a defensemen as well. This isn’t even a fair contest with Nygren almost doubling Summers in points yet Nygren still lost out to Funk. To take this a step further to show how brutal it is that Spyro was FISTED ANALLY BY A CIRCUS MONKEY entirely from the award, we will also take a quick look at the S70 runner up, Chad Magnum. Magnum also played in all 72/72 games but his stats are almost laughable to even think that he was the runner up this season with only 7 goals, 17 assists for a total of 24 points as a Forward (Centre). 

After going through the facts, it’s safe to say Spyro should have at least be in the conversation this time around despite his lower games played. I say ”this time around” because honestly this looks and feels a lot like a repeat of the S69 Benoit Devereux (VHLM Top Goalie) award, where Spyro was failed to even be mentioned despite easily being one of the top goalies that season if not the best.

Edited by Spyro

It's GP man, nobody's going to get the award playing under 1/5 of the season, no matter how well they do.

With human backups becoming more prevalent though, we should have some sort of official rule to allow players to keep their rookie status should they play ~20 or fewer games in a season. Maybe ruling should be no more than 20 games in any one given season and still on their rookie contract? @Victor I know you mentioned this once briefly but idk if there's anything actually in the rule book though.

1 hour ago, Enorama said:

It's GP man, nobody's going to get the award playing under 1/5 of the season, no matter how well they do.

With human backups becoming more prevalent though, we should have some sort of official rule to allow players to keep their rookie status should they play ~20 or fewer games in a season. Maybe ruling should be no more than 20 games in any one given season and still on their rookie contract? @Victor I know you mentioned this once briefly but idk if there's anything actually in the rule book though.

What if a rookie plays the minimum 8 games? Is that considered his rookie season. Kind of BS If that's the case 

• Admin
4 hours ago, Enorama said:

I don't think theres anything in the rulebook but we definitely made an exception once - Claudio Martucci won it in in S25 having played a similar number of games to Spyro in S24.

14 games is indeed too few to stand a chance though. Youd need at least half the season imo.

4 hours ago, Victor said:

I don't think theres anything in the rulebook but we definitely made an exception once - Claudio Martucci won it in in S25 having played a similar number of games to Spyro in S24.

14 games is indeed too few to stand a chance though. Youd need at least half the season imo.

I'm thinking of Calgary's rookie goalie Jacques Lafontain.  He played the league required 8 min games  last season and that's it. Following the NHL he would still be considered a rookie.

Now this season he will play the max as a #1 goalie.  If he tears it up is he considered a rookie this season or was the 8 games it ?

1 hour ago, SlapshotDragon said:

@Spyro Life as a backup is tough but don't worry, you'll get your shining moments. As much as I hate to admit it as a rival goaltender, I look up to your player.

Thanks dude, and congrats on becoming the new starter for Calgary! We will probably always be goalie rivals, but at least we won’t have be enemies too. 

jack respect GIF