Gritty & Smitty's Time with Moscow Has Come to an End

During the S69 Offseason, aka the Great Davos Purge, the Eaglesfan and Flyersfan agencies made a decision that they would enter free agency as a package deal for the first time in nearly their decade in the league together. Due to salary cap constraints in an increasingly competitive league, Smitty and Gritty were largely left with just two decisions, as Seattle quickly backed out after making other moves (can't say that turned out badly for them). It was down to either Toronto or Moscow, and while Devise made a decent pitch to us, Moscow wound up being the perfect fit. While we never formally declared the following three goals, these were generally what I hoped to accomplish in signing with Moscow:

1) Make Moscow the first recent expansion era team to win a Continental Cup

Season 70 was a glorious year in the Moscow Menace history books, as they clearly became the most successful of the recent era expansion teams so far. On a personal level, being a part of an expansion team's first cup was something I've always wanted to be a part of, as a team's first is always the most prized and cherished. Looking back on this era of Moscow history, a major storyline will be how the signing of Smitty and Gritty helped turn this franchise around. 

2) Get Smitty into the Hall of Fame

While Flyersfan was obviously more concerned about this than myself, it definitely was something I was pushing for as well. I knew statistically he would have a great chance based on continually being the highest point scoring defensemen and winning multiple awards, but getting that cup was the icing on the cake for Smitty. While both of us are in the Hall of Fame as builders, it was nice to see some success on the player side as well. Last point on this, Moscow is great for anyone who wants to score a lot of points, as win or lose the club seems to be known for stat padding. 

3) Make Gritty into a Legitimate Player

It has been so long since I have made an actual good player that @McWolf actually mocked Gritty to be drafted in the 2nd round, behind DT's player (LOL). When I was on Vancouver, part of the reason I got into little disagreements with Beaviss was because Gritty was putting up absolutely horrible numbers, and despite having higher tpe than other players seemed to be riding the pine minutes wise. In the end we did wind up winning a cup so it wasn't all bad, and I've always been about cup > player. However, it did feel nice to have Gritty flourish in Moscow, and finally become the PPG player that I've wanted. 

I would like to thank all of my teammates in Moscow for a really fun last few seasons. I especially want to thank @gorlab and @Mr_Hatter, who are two of Moscow's shining stars. Hatter in particular really impressed me by being a great teammate while being stuck as a backup goalie all these seasons, and then coming through in the clutch when it was his time to start. Great group of guys that I will definitely miss as I go on my next quest. Also, Victor thanks for moving all the cap space to fit us in here, it was a great choice by both of us. 

Edited by ContinentalCup036

49 minutes ago, ContinentalCup036 said:

It has been so long since I have made an actual good player that @McWolf actually mocked Gritty to be drafted in the 2nd round, behind DT's player (LOL).

Whatever I accomplish in the VHL, this will always be my legacy according to Eagles.

Gritty ended up being a stud though. I was wrong on all counts.

• Admin

Thanks for agreeing to join the project, it's been a great 3 seasons.

1 hour ago, ContinentalCup036 said:

Moscow is great for anyone who wants to score a lot of points, as win or lose the club seems to be known for stat padding. 

Yes, everyone come to Moscow.

10 hours ago, ContinentalCup036 said:

I would like to thank all of my teammates in Moscow for a really fun last few seasons. I especially want to thank @gorlab and @Mr_Hatter, who are two of Moscow's shining stars. Hatter in particular really impressed me by being a great teammate while being stuck as a backup goalie all these seasons, and then coming through in the clutch when it was his time to start.

Thanks for the kind words ❤️ it was a pleasure playing with you and sharing the locker room the past 3 seasons. Moscow, Moscow,  and Moscow. :)