What makes this community special

For the theme week I wanted to just take the time and reflect on the interactions I’ve had that makes this community so great. After joining the league in 2018 around the same time as my cousin @Plate and both of us not knowing what we were doing or how anything worked. I reached out to a few members who showed us the ropes in a sense. I was surprised coming into the VHLM and just seeing how inclusive everyone was. Right from the start the members in the teams discord grew closer as each day passed. There’s a few members who I really had a connection with and I’d consider them to be a big reason as to what made it so enjoyable for the time I was there. 

@Thranduil was the AGM of Halifax at the time and was pretty much my go-to guy for any questions I had regarding how to earn TPE or how the fantasy league worked. He’s one of the greatest guys I’ve met and if we didn’t live on opposite coasts I’m sure we’d be closer.

@rjfryman what can i say about Jules? He’s one of the best guys I’ve ever had the privilege of meeting. He’d always do pretty much anything for anyone, and was always going the extra mile when doing it. His generosity is astounding and when we were working on a project he was willing to front the bill for it just to see it take off. Absolute class act and if everyone could be a little more like him the world would be a better place. When I found out he got a job working with prospects and new players I was not surprised one bit. He’s the perfect candidate for the role and extremely personable. Definitely makes everyone feel welcome all the time.

@McWolf you’re an absolute legend. When you left the VHL due to time constraints it left a big void. You had set the bar so high for what I expected the league to be like that when you left it just wasn’t the same anymore. It’s people like you that make others want to stick around and become a part of the community long-term. When I heard you were back in the league it was very enticing to come back and be a part of this league again.

S66 was one of my fondest memories, not because of how it went or what happened in the league but because of these people and this community.

With recent events in the league and what’s happening in the world it’s shown me the true value of friendship and the interactions we have. Although a lot of us are a bunch of strangers to each other, but those same people could end up being close friends given enough time. To everyone in this community you guys are all awesome! Even if we’ve never talked before it’s just great being a part of this community that brings us together to share in a hockey sim. Although it’s a sim league there’s way more too it than just that and I think that’s what makes it special. There’s people constantly running things that a lot of members don’t see which we should all be more appreciative of so thank you to all the Admins and anyone who just helps keep this league on course. Although there are hiccups and some drama once in a while, I think now is a good time for us to all come together, put our differences aside and just appreciate how a forum site can bring people together from all over the world and create lasting friendships (as well as rivalries). The donation drive is a great initiative and I think it goes to show that this community can really come together to do great things. 

Also, @Victor I appreciate you drafting me at 5th overall back in S66. I apologize for going full inactive on you. I was a pretty big bust but you got a gem when you drafted @gorlab at 10th. Cheers mate, it’s good to be back

I hope that I can continue to live up to these kind words, and I'm glad you are back. As one of my early friends and rivals ?, I am extremely excited to see you come back and be active in the league. You were one of the first to give me the spark and our line was a great one. Hopefully we can play together again someday. ?

• Admin
10 hours ago, SirRupertBarnes said:

Also, @Victor I appreciate you drafting me at 5th overall back in S66. I apologize for going full inactive on you. I was a pretty big bust but you got a gem when you drafted @gorlab at 10th. Cheers mate, it’s good to be back

Things turned out alright, it's part of the challenge. Good to see you back, no hard feelings.

2 hours ago, rjfryman said:

I hope that I can continue to live up to these kind words, and I'm glad you are back. As one of my early friends and rivals ?, I am extremely excited to see you come back and be active in the league. You were one of the first to give me the spark and our line was a great one. Hopefully we can play together again someday. ?

You deserve them man! You’re a legend and Fryman should definitely be a first ballot entry in the HOF imo. We’ll see what the future holds but that would be pretty sweet

Definitely have some great memories the times we all had together. I'm happy I'll always be able to look back at my time in the league fondly. Maybe one day I'll return, but until then, thanks for all the amazing memories.