A Song of Ice and Fire Thread

JardyB10

• Admin

Yeah I was gonna mention that but reconsidered because maybe Barristan's death is a sign of things changing up in that regard?

Drogon IS still out there but they also seem to be giving more attention to Jorah who's not really part of it in the book.

If they had a pit fight with no dragon riding conclusion I'd light myself on fire. I feel like Tyrion and Jorah Connington will be taking more of Barristan's role. Which will likely just be reduced to, "Fuck this place, we're going to Westeros" by S06E05 or something.

I'm also sure of this. Before the season started I thought they were gonna stick with Marsh because they casted a dude for him, but I don't even know if he's had speaking lines yet, and it's episode 9.

It would be worse if it was Ser Alliser. And they've been hyping up Olly to do it from the first. All that doubt and all those death stares. And the horrible lesson from Sam, "Sometimes people do things that are presumably bad for the greater good!"

I'm also sure of this. Before the season started I thought they were gonna stick with Marsh because they casted a dude for him, but I don't even know if he's had speaking lines yet, and it's episode 9.

It would be worse if it was Ser Alliser. And they've been hyping up Olly to do it from the first. All that doubt and all those death stares. And the horrible lesson from Sam, "Sometimes people do things that are presumably bad for the greater good!"

I thought it was him that ran against Alliser/Jon for Lord Commander but then I realized, it was Dennis Mallister right?

But yeah, exactly Jardy. The worst thing Sam could have told him was exactly what he did. "Sometimes you have to do what you know is right in your heart even if people won't agree with you."

Meant Jon/Wildlings, unknowingly gave Olly the last bit of a push he probably needed to just be like fuck it, I'm killing Jon cuz I know it's right in my heart.

Edited by Caillean

I thought it was him that ran against Alliser/Jon for Lord Commander but then I realized, it was Dennis Mallister right?

Yeah. I think they were going to give him more scenes and draw out that whole process a little bit, but the actor died during filming, so he was very low key.

Yeah. I think they were going to give him more scenes and draw out that whole process a little bit, but the actor died during filming, so he was very low key.

:( Didn't know that, that sucks. Poor guy.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Admin

omg hahahahaha

by removing Aegon, show Varys in season 1 now tried (and would have succeeded had 0.01% chance of Jorah interference not happened) to poison the person he has always wanted to take the throne.

• Admin

I guess Stannis won it in the books... so that war is completely irrelevant in light of recent events.

To be fair to the show though, does Varys poisoning Daenerys make sense in the book either? I thought he was a general Targaryen supporter.

• 2 weeks later...

I guess Stannis won it in the books... so that war is completely irrelevant in light of recent events.

To be fair to the show though, does Varys poisoning Daenerys make sense in the book either? I thought he was a general Targaryen supporter.

Varys is a Varys supporter. He was safe and comfortable as Robert's spider. While I'm certain he would prefer to support House Targaryen I respect Varys for taking the logical approach to maintain his influence. Varys was operating in a future world where Robert lives and Dany dies and planned accordingly.

No. Luckily, I have just happened to finish re-reading ASOS, and I came upon this quote I forgot about/never really noticed...

“A lie.” Ser Jorah’s face darkened. “I would never... Daenerys, it was me who stopped you from drinking the wine.”

“Yes. And how was it you knew the wine was poisoned?”

“I... I but suspected... the caravan brought a letter from Varys, he warned me there would be attempts. He wanted you watched, yes, but not harmed.”

And in the first book even Littlefinger claims to Ned he convinced them to try the assassination on the cheap so there would be a better chance of it failing, which I kind of believe. Mind you, in the context he was trying to sound like he was pro-Ned "Don't kill the children," when in reality he just likes stirring shit up. All the same, there does seem to be a couple of hints that the assassination was kind of designed to fail from the start.

• Admin

cuz POV characters never die. Except Ned. And Jon, maybe. And sort of Catelyn. But they actually have a pretty decent survival record if you look at the whole picture.

Also he was almost always in the same place as Catelyn. And I guess nothing interesting happened just to him and he wasn't a particularly interesting human being.

The depressed mother quota was in desperate need of filling.

Handsome teenage warlord was overfilling.

idgaf about handsome, Robb was far and away fighting the most interesting battles. Jon (much as I love him) was brooding on the Wall, and I can't think about any other handsome teenage warlord PoVs.

I would much rather have seen what was going on wth Robb from his PoV. Then again, we wouldn't have gotten the shock of finding out about him betraying his promise to the Freys, we would have seen it happening, etc.

I'd rather have had a Robb PoV than Cat, I fuckin hated her.

Me too but reading her die was the most metal experience of my life. I felt legitimate terror.

On my first read I don't even remember the specific details after Robb was stabbed and Jinglebell and Cat got their throats cut because I was so stressed out and traumatized. My eyes were refusing to take in anymore information. I got to the epilogue where Merrett was like, "she still had her own claw marks on her face" and I was thinking, "The fuck is this guy talking about?" Then I had to re-read the last page and a half and I was sad again.