A Song of Ice and Fire Thread

JardyB10

At the behest of His Lordship Victor of House Alfredson, I have decided to create a thread dedicated to the discussion of the Game of Thrones book series, so we can discuss spoilery things without tempting our filthy casual show-watching community.

I guess a good way to start the thread is to ask who here has read the books, and which ones exactly?

My parents got me the four paperback box set for Christmas 2012 after I became an addict from the first two seasons.  I read the first three, finished ASOS near the beginning of March.  On March 5 I decided to rewatch one episode a day until the March 25 Season Three premiere.  After the season ended I read AFFC.  ADWD didn't come out on paperback until October that year so I pirated the ebook and read that too.  Then I pirated The Tales of Dunk and Egg and The Princess and the Queen and read those in a couple weeks.  30 weeks before Season 4 began I rewatched an episode a week.  Now after the season ends I'll probably start my first re-read of all the books.  I've probably rewatched the series close to seven times.

So yeah, my scope is spoilers all.  You?

Read all 5 books before I started watching the show. My buddies were all over it and were telling me to go and watch it... I like to read, so i decided to pick up the books. Killed seasons 1-3 in about 2 weeks lol. 

Like I was saying in the other thread, I think they're making Sansa out to be a bit much here in the show. 

I would also like to predict Arya running the world by the end of the books.

Watched the first season of the show, instantly turned around and read all the ASOIAF books. I mean to read the Dunk and Egg books, but for now I actually turned to the Wheel of Time series next instead (of which I'm on Book 6).

My prediction? The entire seventh book is nothing but detailing the accounting of the Iron Bank of Braavos and a giant feast of lemon cakes after Queen Sansa improbably takes the throne.

I've listened to all the books on audio and working on doing it a second time.  I haven't listened or read to any of the spin off story lines that are before/after/different stuff.

Tales of Dunk and Egg are fantastic.  They're only like 100-200 pages each, and they're a nice light change of pace from the constant death and sadness of the main series.  Plus it's really nice to know that your POV is going to live to the end of the story for once.  P&Q was interesting, nothing too ball grabbing though.  It was told from third person, so it was an odd change.  They're all nearly impossible to find hard copies though if I understand correctly.  Maybe not impossible, but they're part of anthologies, and who the shit wants to read 30 other non-GRRM short stores?

Also I don't particularly think Arya's going to be alive by the end of the series.  She's a bit too batshit.  The only character who I think is 100% safe is Bran, and that's because he's a tree.  Rickon and Sansa seem like the next likeliest ones to survive.

I was so hoping that Jon would take the Stark name and rebuild winterfell.  Theories on his mother I mean everyone now rumors its Ned's sister but I dont know seems too obvious.

Edited by Mike

I think Arya's going to be alive, just not a "Stark". I see her in full-blooded killer mode, perhaps even leading assassins across the narrow see. For the Starks though, I totally see Sansa crushing all comers (including Littlefinger) and regaining control of the North though. It's Martin's style that the weakest one at the beginning becomes the strongest player at the end.

I think Arya's going to be alive, just not a "Stark". I see her in full-blooded killer mode, perhaps even leading assassins across the narrow see. For the Starks though, I totally see Sansa crushing all comers (including Littlefinger) and regaining control of the North though. It's Martin's style that the weakest one at the beginning becomes the strongest player at the end.

Wouldn't Robin have been weaker than Sansa?

someone just told me about lady stoneheart. Usually I'd be mad about spoilers but i dont even care it sounds so dope.

It's terrifying.

Oh and I finished Dance a couple days ago

Fucking Bowen. :'\

It's terrifying.

Fucking Bowen. :'\

Yeah, I looked up character redacted's page on ASOIAF Wiki, and it says "Dead (presumed)" so I'm wondering if the presumed is alluding to something coming in the future.

Most people agree that it's a temporary thing, what with

ADWD SPOILERS

George Martin saying in an interview that Jon Snow will find out who his parents are, and with Melisandre conveniently being at the Wall.  One solid theory was that she would burn poor Shireen to bring him back, hence "waking a dragon from stone," greyscale = stone, etc.  Her dialogue with Selyse in the show makes that seem even more likely.

They are starting to take some bigger changes to the book to make things easier to understand and get some people more screen time.  That Brienne/Hound fight was great but I didn't see that coming and they killed off grenn and pyp the episode before.

They are starting to take some bigger changes to the book to make things easier to understand and get some people more screen time.  That Brienne/Hound fight was great but I didn't see that coming and they killed off grenn and pyp the episode before.

That made me profoundly sad. :(

• 1 month later...
  • Admin

Finished the books woo.

Rickon tbh.

someone just told me about lady stoneheart. Usually I'd be mad about spoilers but i dont even care it sounds so dope.

Not in the show apparently gah.

Heard Jaime replaces Arys Oakheart and Ellaria Sand replaces Arianne Martell (BS that). And there are some clues to that:

- no Stoneheart

- no Tyrion telling Jaime about Cersei

But then Brienne's story line is a bit of a dead end so I dunno.

There is so much new stuff in books 4 and 5 though, it could be a major turn-off for a lot of people. Dorne, Iron Islands, Aegon/Connington things, all of the new people in King's Landing, yeah I dunno, I think GRRM went a bit over the top.

• Admin

Maybe it's because I read it just this summer, but I though Clash of Kings was worse. That said, if I wasn't reading it having watched season 2... I dunno. It's really disappointing after Storm of Swords fosho.