A Song of Ice and Fire Thread

JardyB10

There was also like, a fourth party rumour about a major death allegedly supposed to happen in Episode 4 quite some time before the series aired. Except after the leaks hit there was a hard ban on talking about unaired episodes, so it has me scurred. :\

It happened. :(

• 2 weeks later...
  • Admin

So Jorah is getting the Jon Connington treatment then. Pretty annoying as the show has now implied that Stoneheart is not important, Aegon/Connington is not important, and both Jorah and Barristan die.

So Jorah is getting the Jon Connington treatment then. Pretty annoying as the show has now implied that Stoneheart is not important, Aegon/Connington is not important, and both Jorah and Barristan die.

Greyjoya not important, manderlys nor important, the list just goes on.

• Admin

Am I becoming a cranky old man or is this season just...not that good?

Well to be fair the book.... OK the book was a nice read. I hated Clash of Kings the most but obviously this was a pretty big drop off after Storm of Swords.

But as I was reading the book (or books), it never felt like it would successfully translate onto screen. It's just not movie material at this point, all the intricacies, all the little things they left out in the past added up.

On a lighter note, I like that (based on the build-up), most seasons end with Stannis being involved in a battle haha. All over the continent.

Aye, A Feast for Dragons wasn't the most TV-friendly chunk of the series. Although that said, neither was AGOT. Other than the Sand Snakes, I think the show is wonderful and doing a wonderful job. And I've said it before, the more different it is from the books, the happier I am. I'm glad they killed Barry for kicks because now I have no idea how he'll die in the books. Everything is wonderful.

I read the series nine years ago (not Dance with Dragon's obviously, read that when it came out). I enjoy watching the series because I do not remember all the details of the books, also I am completely okay with changes they make in the show as they are working WITH Martin.

It is not like the Hobbit where the director makes a mockery of Tolkien's work and the author has no ability to prevent that sacrilege from taking place.

Edited by Glaciem

I read the series nine years ago (not Dance with Dragon's obviously, read that when it came out). I enjoy watching the series because I do not remember all the details of the books, also I am completely okay with changes they make in the show as they are working WITH Martin.

It is not like the Hobbit where the director makes a mockery of Tolkien's work and the author has no ability to prevent that sacrilege from taking place.

In fairness, neither does GRRM- he's alive, but he signed over rights to them. He's already told them not to kill off people that have been killed off, they don't care what he says anymore.

In fairness, neither does GRRM- he's alive, but he signed over rights to them. He's already told them not to kill off people that have been killed off, they don't care what he says anymore.

Considering he has wrote an episode a season I'm not sure you are correct.

He has also already told the people involved the ending to the series so they cannot muck it up completely.

Edited by Glaciem

He has also already told the people involved the ending to the series so they cannot muck it up completely.

an episode a season is not the same as him having input on every episode and every storyline. They killed a Dothraki bloodrider back in season 1 that is a PoV character in the next book despite martin expressly telling them not to. And it has nothing to do with them knowing the ending, it's about the changes they're making to the basic story. They're already straying so far that Martin has done interviews to remind people that the show and books are now two completely separate stories.

Basically yeah we'll get the same endgame but not the same story.

• Admin

Pretty telling he has not written an episode for season 5.

Hobbit was based on a book already written so that's a counter argument.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Admin

So episode 10 (wiki article didn't have the name until very recently) is called Mother's Mercy, I know this will be about Cersei but maybe a last minute Stoneheart appearance? I can hope, right?

Though it seems the chances are about as high as the Greyjoys becoming relevant.

I doubt it, but I'd be very happy for it. Also there's been a casting call for Euron for next season. Also the Tarly family. Also young Ned, Robert, and maybe Brandon for flashbacks.

As per our IM conversation, I'll put my full speculation in these spoiler tags in case some poor soul wanders in here by accident.

In Episode 9, Ramsay and his 20 bros ambush the Mannis camp. Mannis dies in a final scene which causes the oceans to run asunder in readers tears. The next episode involves much bruhaha with Mel-Selyse camp wanting to burn Shireen to bring him back. Davos opposes hard, and possibly also dies. I'll never know what happens beyond this because I'll be so grief-stricken I'll scratch out my own eyes. Meanwhile Olly stabs Jon because he's an evil little shithead. Meanwhile Mel gets her way and Shireen burns and this is the most sad two consecutive hours in the entire world I just realized. Stannis does not come back. Jon does. The end.

• Admin

Well fuck that's deep.

I don't actually believe Davos will die or that you were more than half serious about that but now that you mention it I question where his not-searching-for-Rickon storyline will take him.

I do however agree that Winterfell storyline will culminate and go ahead of the books. Though I don't know what outcome I expect. I hope that Stannis has some role in the future (reddit theories are so numerous and borderline ridiculous but surely one of them has to be a bit accurate). So with that hope I think he beats Ramsay and fucks him over with a surprise attack during the storm when Ramsay does his foray and then who knows.

I am fairly confident this will be episode 9. Partially because I retain hope for Stoneheart (why do I bother with hope in this show?) reveal in episode 10 and/or Jon death as last scene of season. Although I can see Jon being moved to the traditional Stark murdering slot of episode 9. But I do think that Jon will be left on the same cliffhanger as the book because the show has actually never done that yet. Any surprise death was followed by the aftermath in the same season.