Americans...**** Yeah!

TheFlash

Well, how about those New York Americans? The VHLs resident unlucky team, the one that always has the worst sim luck, currently is riding high atop of the VHL standings. Is this article a jinx? Probably. But I need to get those birthday TPE, so I’m writing this anyway! Let’s go!

Nearing the quarter mark of the season (yeah that’s right, tomorrow teams will hit game 18! Unbelievable), the Americans are currently numero uno in the entire league.  They have 54 goals for, and just 33 against. Both numbers are League best. They are the only team in the league to have a 20+ goal differential, and one of only two teams to have a differential over ten (the other being Riga, who sit at eighth overall in the league and possess a +14 differential). As most know, this stat is usually quite accurate at measuring success. Those who have a positive number usually do well, and those who are negative do not. Let’s look at the reasons for the early success;

1) A Red HOT Guy in net

If there’s a player on the Americans that deserves the team success, it’s their long time netminder, A Red Guy. Entering his sixth season as the teams number one backstop (his lowest games played was 54 in his rookie year), there were rumours of an early retirement. Hopefully his early numbers will put an end to those rumours and keep him in New York another season. He leads the league in wins (12), and is second among starters in both goals against average and save percentage. A top goalie is always a key part of any good team, and A Red Guy is doing his part to ensure success for New York.

544E2FF9-36A8-4CB0-95BC-6DA6A380A125.jpeg.6e737e72d7900c9bb81801dc78356a56.jpeg

A Red Guy stops a shot in a game against Calgary earlier this season

2) Wheelin’ and Dealin’

General manager Esso has been committed to putting a winning team on the ice, and is making his intentions to build a “win now” team clear in the last season. Three acquisitions stick out as being moves that greatly improved the team and lead them to their current spot. Julius Freeman, Acyd Burn and Jerry Wang are three veteran forwards that were brought to the team via trade. Freeman, who is in his final season and is a sure fire hall of famer, is scoring over a point a game and sits second on the team in goals. Burn is a player not known for his high scoring seasons, only scoring over a point a game once back in his second year. This season though, he seems to be firing on all cylinders with 23 points in 14 games played. Perhaps the most surprising player on the team though is Jerry Wang. Wang was acquired in the off season, and has surprised most by scoring a team leading 24 points thus far. This comes as a bit of a surprise as Wang’s previous career high was just 45 points, a total that he is on track to surpass very shortly. Wang is punching a bit above his weight as he has just over 600 TPE, but you won’t find his American teammates complaining.

3) Deep Defence:

The Americans are one of the few teams to run only three defensemen, and it’s been working wonders for them since last season. They are led by two of the top defenders in the league, Michael Gary Scott and Lance Flowers, who rank #3 and #9 in TPE among defensemen. Their third and final defender is third year player Hugh Jass. These three have combined for 42 points in the first 14 games of the year, and have blocked a ton of shots as well. Between the three, Flowers has been the defensive force, throwing out nearly three hits a game.

’Murica.

Mentioned: @.sniffuM @Esso2264 @CowboyinAmerica @ColeMrtz @Motzaburger @Acydburn @rjfryman

12 minutes ago, ColeMrtz said:

You would not believe the amount of wood I’m knocking on right now

6 minutes ago, CowboyinAmerica said:

I'm just gonna wonder through a forest knocking on everything

I’m sorry. I needed the Tpe lol. 

*knocks on all the wood*