VHL/M Expansion Ideas

jakkysosa

Hello, I go by Jakky on Discord and Jakob Sosa on the ice. I am a brand new competitor in the VHL and currently am part of the Season 75 draft. Ever since joining the league I have greatly enjoyed my stay and learning the ropes along with the history of most teams. One thing I certainly would love for most major sports and including the VHL/M is expanding. With the S75 draft being one of the largest with plenty of prospects being potentially drafted, I have created this post along with some ideas and logos for potential new teams to be included in the VHL and the M. All of these are purely ideas, the logos and names aren’t perfect but at least a starting point for possibly something good to come. No logos are included but ideas are completely open, some teams I have included color schemes aswell. Some teams don’t have a name which leaves the door open for ideas to flow in.

Colorado Cutthroats

Colorado is one of the coldest locations in the United States and a great location for a new team. The name Colorado basically means “colored red” due to the red sandstone soil of the region and the Colorado river. With that in mind, the jerseys and logo should be red heavy,  darker red along with a base red with possibly white, silver or black outlines. The name Cutthroats come from the Greenback Cutthroat trout, the state fish. So with the Colorado River in mind, the fish would be the logo focus and with the name, color and theme it would be a good inclusion into the VHL/M.

Chamonix Experts/Black Diamonds

One of the weirdest additions but hear me out. Chamonix is a city in France, a city which has 30 Magnus Cup wins since 1923. It is near the junction of France, Switz. and Italy and is most known for it’s skiing mountains. With that in mind, the highest difficulty for skiing would be the two black diamonds which can be incorporated in the logo. The name can be adjusted into French to sound better but is simply a recommendation for a potential name for the team. France is also a great location as it can be a part of the European Conference, French is well known in hockey thanks to Canada and the amount of registers French NHL players is about 22k.

Detroit Rocketeers

Some of these names are gonna be sketchy, be aware of that. The location is plain and simple, Hockeytown. Detroit doesn’t have a team in the VHL or the M and that needs to change, a perfect location for a dedicated fanbase. The name simply came from “Detroit Rock City” and while the name can certainly be adjusted, Rocketeers doesn’t sound TOO bad to be a part of.

Glasgow Guardians

The name and location actually came from a custom league I have made myself, with a fitting name and decent location, Glasgow can certainly be an option for another European team to be included. Ice Hockey is apparently one of the most popular indoor sports in Scotland so that certainly can bring motivation to locate a team there! Color scheme used for the Guardians was black, red and dark green.

Boston

One of the most known cities in the United States, a massive rival to New York and one of the most decorative locations for sports and somehow it doesn’t have a VHL or VHLM team. Boston has plenty of history and possibilities when it comes to names, I’ve used “Boston Blues” because of the House of Blues origin, Boston Redcoats and more. Even if the name is simple like “Lions, Tigers, Bears (oh my!)” the location is certainly a top priority for expansion.

Thunder Bay & Regina

I wanted to include two Canadian cities into this list to not only balance out the size of the league for conferences but to also give diversity in certain areas. While Quebec and Montreal are two well known cities that don’t have a team, I wanted to pick other Canadian cities instead of the popularly known. Thunder Bay and Regina are well known for producing several hockey players in it’s population from well known such as the Staal brothers to Ryan Getzlaf, Jordan Eberle and more. With that in mind, having those two cities have their own team would be perfect production for more stars to come.

Atlanta

Yes, I know but third times the charm! With two previous franchises in the NHL and plenty of teams in other major sports, including Atlanta into the VHL can certainly be a possibility for an extra team. Now whether they choke by 28-3 or 3-1 is up to them but giving them the opportunity to have a team here is always a possibility.

There you have it, 8 locations for 8 potential teams for the VHL and VHLM, whether that turns the team list from 16:12 to 20:16 or 18:18, all of these can be possible. These are all ideas and I would love to know your opinion on some of these locations, team names and more. With more people coming in, instead of leaving more Free Agents hung out to dry or overflowing teams, this can be a possibility for the future.

I wrote a similar article about nearly 2 seasons ago, I had new alignments and everything haha.

This article has some humor which can always be appreciated, and some really cool factoids that I didn't know about.  The paragraphing and conciseness is very clear and easy to read and navigate.  You certainly could have gone a step further and mention what team would go in which league and how the alignments could work.

I'm only going to give you an 8/10 though.

You forgot the mention MONTREAL!

@MattyIce Thank you! I mentioned Montreal in the Thunder Bay & Regina section as I wanted to give less known Canadian cities a chance.

Regarding alignment I should have included where teams should go but wanted to keep it open for owners to decide, I will however add some extra detail to it

Chamonix (France) and Glasgow (Scotland) should go to the VHL and be part of the European League (duh)

VHL has 3 Canadian teams (Vancouver, Calgary and Toronto) while the VHLM has 5 (Yukon, Halifax, Mississauga, Ottawa and Saskatoon) so if there were two new Canadian teams, if you wish to balance it out they should go to the VHL.

Which leaves 4 other teams which can go to the VHLM or VHL gets 6, VHLM gets 2 total. However you want em! :)

I love the idea especially of having a Boston team, but both the VHL and the M have expanded recently so it could be a while till that happens but great article overall and some good names I love the Black Diamonds for Chamonix
rating 10/10

2 hours ago, MattyIce said:

I wrote a similar article about nearly 2 seasons ago, I had new alignments and everything haha.

This article has some humor which can always be appreciated, and some really cool factoids that I didn't know about.  The paragraphing and conciseness is very clear and easy to read and navigate.  You certainly could have gone a step further and mention what team would go in which league and how the alignments could work.

I'm only going to give you an 8/10 though.

You forgot the mention MONTREAL!

Montreal Voyageurs. Bet on it

As much as I think this is a great idea, I think this influx of new players will not hold up enough to sustain more teams. I'm also a first generation player and I think players will lose interest or forget about the league. I love your analysis though. Very clean and concise. I'm also surprised that Boston wasn't a team in the VHL. Boston vs New York is such a classic rivalry that it could work in the VHL.

I'd give this a solid 10/10 rating. Good job!