The Victory ProAM Tournament: What it is and why YOU should get involved!

Laine

The VHL as a whole tends to slow down during the offseason. The VHL and M drafts along with Free Agency provide some activity but it doesn't usually hold up the entire offseason, leading to quite a bit of inactivity until training camps commence. In the past, many members have tried to keep active during the offseason but nothing seems to stick. Myself, in partnership with @Zetterberg and @MexicanCow123 have come up with not only a solution to the offseason inactivity but also something that benefits the league as a whole: The Victory ProAM Tournament!

What is the Victory ProAM Tournament?

The Victory ProAM Tournament is a tournament put on by Myself, @Zetterberg and @MexicanCow123 during the offseason. Users can join by checking out the recruitment drive during the playoffs.

How does the Victory ProAM Tournament work?

The amount of teams will vary, but the overall structure stays the same. Different teams will be picked every offseason, with different GMs and AGMs at the helm every go around as well. To benefit newer players, we always try to make the GMs newer users or users with no GMing experience, not only to help teach them but to also give them the vital experience they need. Each GM is allowed to appoint one AGM for the entire tournament. Extra help will be available to the GMs besides their AGM, as many players alike help GMs when help is needed. GMs are allowed to name their own team, with names also changing every offseason.

The team building process begins once GMs are selected. A draft lottery is conducted to determine in which order GMs will pick throughout the draft. The draft board is put up with players going off as they are selected. The draft is in a snake order. Each GM must select 6 forwards, 4 defensemen and 2 goalies to complete their team. Skaters CAN be moved around to various positions, although we prefer you draft based on natural position (Ex: a forward can be moved to defense if needed). Once teams are selected the sim schedule will be uploaded with sims starting one or two days after the final playoff game is played.

Why should I care about the Victory ProAM Tournament?

There are many reasons to join the tournament. First and foremost, it helps cure the boredom that ensues during your standard VHL offseason. It also gives newer and older members a chance to make friends and communicate with one another. Last offseason, we saw many friendships come as a result of this tournament. Lastly, it helps give younger players experience with opportunities in GMing. It also benefits older players who can pass their skills down to young members.

Our S75 Offseason recruitment drive will launch NEXT WEEK! We have also started formal recruitment in many VHL and VHLM lounge rooms, so keep your eyes peeled for that. If you want an invite for the discord server but don't see the thread or any invites in LRs, feel free to contact myself, Z, Cow or any of the other members inside the discord server (there is a lot of us). Until next time.

(525 words)

First off great writeup Laine, you really explained the tournament well.

Now I've said this before but I will say it again if people see this and are on the fence. The Victory ProAm is an amazing opportunity, especially for new players and people with management jobs in the VHLM and VHL. Last offseason I was coming off of my rookie season in the M. I got picked up off waivers by the Saskatoon Wild and although  I had a great time in Saskatoon, I really only knew the guys in that LR and that was pretty much the extent of my VHL social circle. I saw the post to sign up for the ProAm and I thought it sounded cool. I joined and then they said "we are going to let some new players sign up to be GMs". I jumped at this opportunity because I thought it would be fun and I really wanted to get some experience under my belt. Sure enough, I got picked to be a GM. I drafted a team with some VHL pros and a few guys from the M. We had a dope locker room and we ended up winning the tournament.  But coming out of that, I had met a ton of new people. Among those people were @IamMOOSE and @MexicanCow123, who players who I drafted.  I ended up getting to know these guys pretty well. Fast forward to the start of season 75. I was drafted 2nd overall by the San Diego Marlins (who Moose is AGM for) and I landed myself an AGM job for Yukon (serving under Cow). I really think neither of these things would have happened if I hadn't of signed up for the ProAm.  I can't recommend it enough. Also if you are in management it is a good way to scout some players you may want to draft in the near future!

1 minute ago, fromtheinside said:

First off great writeup Laine, you really explained the tournament well.

Now I've said this before but I will say it again if people see this and are on the fence. The Victory ProAm is an amazing opportunity, especially for new players and people with management jobs in the VHLM and VHL. Last offseason I was coming off of my rookie season in the M. I got picked up off waivers by the Saskatoon Wild and although  I had a great time in Saskatoon, I really only knew the guys in that LR and that was pretty much the extent of my VHL social circle. I saw the post to sign up for the ProAm and I thought it sounded cool. I joined and then they said "we are going to let some new players sign up to be GMs". I jumped at this opportunity because I thought it would be fun and I really wanted to get some experience under my belt. Sure enough, I got picked to be a GM. I drafted a team with some VHL pros and a few guys from the M. We had a dope locker room and we ended up winning the tournament.  But coming out of that, I had met a ton of new people. Among those people were @IamMOOSE and @MexicanCow123, who players who I drafted.  I ended up getting to know these guys pretty well. Fast forward to the start of season 75. I was drafted 2nd overall by the San Diego Marlins (who Moose is AGM for) and I landed myself an AGM job for Yukon (serving under Cow). I really think neither of these things would have happened if I hadn't of signed up for the ProAm.  I can't recommend it enough. Also if you are in management it is a good way to scout some players you may want to draft in the near future!

You even have the banner to show for it!