Rules to becoming a great defender

Greg_Di

Montreal Canadiens announce 30-man roster for Stanley Cup Qualifiers - Eyes  On The Prize

These main rules of defending are what Tom Eagles has learned over the years and is now sharing with everyone in this article. This is more for younger players trying to make it into the league but can be a good use to even veteran players. If you want to be a top defender in the VHLM and VHL then you should follow most of these rules. The best Defenders in the VHL follow these Golden Rules most often. A player of average skill will do very well if these rules are trained and if he always has them in the back of his head. While the rules are basic and seem obvious, it may take many years of concentrated effort for most players to automatically perform them properly.

1. Always back your defensive partner whether its on the offensive blue line, in the neutral zone or, especially, in the defensive zone.

2. Always one defenseman in front of the net when the opposition has the puck in your zone or there is danger that they may gain possession. This is used to help clear out any players in front of the net so that your goalie can see or that a rebound will not be scored by the opposing team

3. Do not leave the offensive zone too soon. Leaving too soon is a much more common mistake than leaving too early. A lot of new defenders will be seen making this mistake but if you want to make it to the pro’s, you need to know when to leave and when to stay.

4. Always play defense first. If attacking with the puck, only go deep into the offensive zone until the prime scoring opportunity is over and you are part of it. All Defenseman want to help and put up points but always remember your main priority is and always will be Defense.

5. Never play a 1-on-1 head on. Give the attacker a little room on one side to force him to go where you want him to go. This will help you having a higher success in taking the puck away from him but also gives your goalie a higher percentage to make a save.

6. Shoot intelligently from the point. The best shot is always low, generally not too hard and accurate. This will help produce rebounds or will give someone a chance to tip the puck into the net. Most skilled Defensmen seldom shoot to score, but rather to put the puck into the scoring area so that forwards can score.

7. Do not tie-up the opposing players in front of the net, rather gain position and control. This will make it easier for you and your goalie to prevent anything slipping past and into the net

8. Do not tie-up with an opposing player anywhere when your team is a man short. As the players on the team with a penalty tie up and are out of the play, the odds get better on the power play, i.e. 4-on-3 is better than 5-on-4, 3-on-2 is better than 4-on-3, etc.

9. Do not stand looking for someone to pass to, especially in the defensive zone. Always move your feet, always be skating as this will make it harder for the opposing team to know where you will be sending the puck and harder for them to strip you off the puck. This will also make your pass more accurate as it will have more momentum then when you are standing still

10. Always train your backwards skating and turning. A defenseman must be as comfortable going backwards and sideways as forward. You may find it easy but it always helps to practice to make sure your backward skating is always as smooth as possible and that you can keep up with the incoming forwards.

11. One of Tom’s biggest rules is to check only for purpose. Checking just for the sake of a hit is seldom of value and creates risk of self-injury, missed checks and open opposition players, as well as penalties. While hitting is always fun and makes the fan’s get excited, don’t go for a hit that can open up a opportunity for the opposing team to score.

12. Communicate with your defensive partner, your goalie and your forwards. It is an important part of teamwork. Without communication and team-work and team will not gel well. Make sure to call out where to pass or if the other teams players are nearby.

13. The blue lines are critical. Always clear the puck over the defensive blue line as a first priority, then, move up to the blue line quickly.

14. Learn the critical skills of flipping the puck out of your zone and deflecting the puck off the glass without sending it over the glass. This is always vital in a penalty killing situation, but you want to make sure you don’t get an extra penalty for going over the glass.

With these 14 simple rules, you will be on your way to becoming a great VHLM and VHL Defender

Edited by Greg_Di

9/10

Great article! A lot of valuable information in it.  I especially liked the number 14, sounds simple enough but while under pressure I imagine you don't have that much time to think and aim, need to have that skill ready to go.

Many of the points sound ''obvious'', but a couch fan like myself might not even think about these things while watching games, errors and good plays have a lot more going behind them than just simple skill, so good job!

• 2 weeks later...

I actually really like this as someone who never played/got to play hockey growing up. A lot of good insight in here that I've never been aware of.

After my goalie career I was wanting to do some defensive work. Thanks for putting it in nice simple numbered list too. Makes it easy to keep track of. 10/10