Where Oh Where Will I Land?

KC15

Preamble to a Draft

Now that the VHL Entry Draft has been announced for Thursday evening at 8:00 pm Eastern US, it seems a good time for me to reflect on where Luc Tessier, Centre for the San Diego Marlins, might be playing next season as it is virtually certain that he will exceed the 250 VHLM cap prior to opening day. He is at 248 TPE now with 10 capped TPE yet to claim for the week. I am not really the type of user to let 9 TPE slide (not to mention any uncapped that may present themselves) just to have my player in the juniors one more year – even though I LOVED my time in San Diego and I wish @thadthrasher @Eldredman and my teammates much success in S78.

I am only going to consider the first 6 draft slots. It is very possible that Tessier will fall lower than 6, but this number is being chosen for two reasons. 1) That is the number of rounds that are governed by the draft lottery which means if one of these teams actually does select Tessier, they have in some way “won” the right to do so. 2) Perhaps a more fun reason, is that my previous player, Guy Lesieur, went number 6 and so there is a kind of “doesn’t matter at all, but isn’t that a fun little connection” vibe going on.

So, let’s get to it!

Number 1 – Calgary Wranglers

I would be absolutely over-the-moon thrilled to be drafted here by the Wranglers! I mean, who wouldn’t love to go 1OA? I’ve played in six different leagues (PBE, VHL, SHL, GOMHL, ISFL, and EFL) for the past 2 plus real life years and I’ve never gone 1OA. I’ve had a 3rd, a 4th, and a 6th, but never a 1st. We all know it doesn’t really matter. Your career isn’t going to be affected at all by where you were drafted. But hey, we’re still human and 1st is 1st after all.

Calgary is also very attractive to me, as from my end, @Ricer13 and I have had great scouting conversations, and it looks like a good fit for where Calgary and Tessier are both at in terms of development. Also in terms of how Tessier might fit in as a centreman long term. And who doesn’t want to play for a western Canadian team, eh?

But …. Tallinder, the Calgary AGM, is in this draft and it seems very unlikely the Wranglers will pass on the opportunity to get such a top flight player and their AGM.

Number 2 and 3 – Moscow Menace

Again, a thrill to go this high if it were to happen. And I had an opportunity to briefly fill the AGM role in Moscow before events in the PBE made me realize I wanted to save my management time and energy for that league – at least for the foreseeable future. It might be that an opportunity to return to the ranks of minors GMs doesn’t materialize for many seasons and that would make me reconsider VHL management.

Anyway, my time in the Moscow LR showed me two things. 1) @Spartan is an excellent GM that is just great to be around and it would be a real honor to be able to play for him. 2) There is a fabulous group of potential teammates in that LR and anyone would have a great time hanging out with these guys.

However, taking a look at the current roster, there seems to be a very strong core of elite users at the centre position. Most are already double Tessier’s TPE and there is no sign of anything but top flight earning from here on out. This may mean Moscow looks elsewhere to fill other positional needs.

Number 4 – London United

My first player, Lesieur, was drafted by Riga, but quickly traded to DC moments later during the draft. I loved the thought of going to an expansion team at the time. The management team making that trade? @Enorama and @McWolf. Yep, McWolf was AGM then and now GM in London with an opportunity to draft my second player. Actually, it would be the second time I was drafted by London as McWolf picked up Lesieur in the expansion draft that formed United and about 30 games later I was traded back to DC. Best move for both London and Lesieur. Jury is out for DC. Lol

Having played for McWolf in both DC and London, I can say without hesitation that I would consider this a premier landing spot. Excellent GM, great guy to hang with in the LR. I’d play for or alongside his player any time. And being drafted #4 still beats Lesieur’s mark by 2 slots! Lol

But again, looking at the current roster, I’m not sure this is the best fit based on positional needs. London looks much stronger on the forward side than on the blueline so … But hey, playing in jolly old England where most of my ancestors immigrated from would be lovely if it did happen.

Number 5 – HC Davos Dynamo

Another exciting prospect. I had some good scouting conversations with @GustavMattias and it feels like we’d get along famously. Plus I recognize some great potential teammates.

This seems like one of the better organizational fits as well. Davos is not super top heavy at centre and I could probably earn my way into a first or second line role as soon as I could anywhere else and that is certainly a goal of mine. In general, the team seems to be on the young side and in a rebuild and it’s a great feeling to be able to grow with the team and get better at the same time that the rest of the team around you is developing. Been there done that with DC and it was a blast!

Davos will have a lot of options at pick 5, but there seems to be a real possibility for Davos to be the team Tessier hits the ice with as S78 opens in the next week or so.

Number 6 – Calgary Wranglers

Ah, it all begins and ends with Calgary. Not much more to be said here except the increased likelihood of going to Calgary at number 6 instead of number 1. Tallinder will likely be off the board and that opens up options for Calgary on their second pick in the first round. If not chosen by Davos, Calgary seems another likely landing spot for Tessier.

Conclusion

First thought – this all could be a load of hooey! Tessier could easily fall to 7, 16 or the second round.

Second thought – there really is no bad place for Tessier to be drafted among the top 6 picks.

Third thought – there is really no possible way to know ahead of time what will happen. Every GM has their own thought process for how best to build their team

I’ll just have to be patient and tune in on Thursday night to see what will be.

So, let’s all say it together – DRAFT HYPE!!!

1189 words - claiming weeks ending 5/16 and 5/23

3 hours ago, KC15 said:

I get the sad reaction @thadthrasher.  You have created one of the best sim experiences I've ever had there in San Diego.  I thank you for it, but I'm just going to use that great experience as a springboard to my next VHL career.  Thank you, brother.

Haha I get it man. It’s been great having you, especially being a fellow clergyman. I’ll miss you in San Diego, but I look forward to seeing you succeed in the VHL (unless you meet up against my goaltender). Good luck, brother!

Having you on The Marlins has been wonderful and i will miss you as you move on up. I wish you the best as you continue with your career! As for your article, it was a great read as always. Your paragraph structure is on point and "reading" language is very easy to read. Overall 8/10