Israel - Palestinian 2021

Baozi

• Head Moderator

Palestinians aren't even just Muslims. Historically they are just people that lived there so they also included Christians, Jewish and Arabic folks. Like it can't even be about religion at this point because there are modern day Palestinian Jewish. 

1 hour ago, tfong said:

Palestinians aren't even just Muslims. Historically they are just people that lived there so they also included Christians, Jewish and Arabic folks. Like it can't even be about religion at this point because there are modern day Palestinian Jewish. 

And while it's not about religion, you can't discount religion when talking about the situation. There's two opposing sides that are different, and religion is the biggest and most important between the two. It's probably more appropriate to call Israel's enemies "Arab nations" and not "Muslims" - places like Egypt have huge Christian populations but, let's be real, they aren't and haven't been in charge of their country as long as Israel has been around. The common bond between Arab nations is their Muslim majority population, and that's relevant when talking about Israel because of how central Judaism is to their national identity. In an "Us vs. The World" mentality, either you're Jewish (ethnically and religiously), or you're the bad guy.

*Really important thing to add that I haven't prefaced yet: Judaism and Jewish people /=/ Israel. Israel is not a reflection of the Jewish people. The nation state of Israel has human rights abuses and fought unjust wars for decades, not the Jewish people. This is why I don't like the anti-Semitism card being played when anyone criticizes Israel. Israel is not the Jewish people, it's a militaristic nation state founded by and for Jewish people. It's kind of like China: Chinese people are great, but the Chinese state is an oppressive, genocidal, and militaristic entity. It's so important to breaking down our tribalistic tendencies to separate criticism of the Chinese/Israeli state from a hatred of the Chinese/Jewish peoples.

• Head Moderator
53 minutes ago, bigAL said:

And while it's not about religion, you can't discount religion when talking about the situation. There's two opposing sides that are different, and religion is the biggest and most important between the two. It's probably more appropriate to call Israel's enemies "Arab nations" and not "Muslims" - places like Egypt have huge Christian populations but, let's be real, they aren't and haven't been in charge of their country as long as Israel has been around. The common bond between Arab nations is their Muslim majority population, and that's relevant when talking about Israel because of how central Judaism is to their national identity. In an "Us vs. The World" mentality, either you're Jewish (ethnically and religiously), or you're the bad guy.

*Really important thing to add that I haven't prefaced yet: Judaism and Jewish people /=/ Israel. Israel is not a reflection of the Jewish people. The nation state of Israel has human rights abuses and fought unjust wars for decades, not the Jewish people. This is why I don't like the anti-Semitism card being played when anyone criticizes Israel. Israel is not the Jewish people, it's a militaristic nation state founded by and for Jewish people. It's kind of like China: Chinese people are great, but the Chinese state is an oppressive, genocidal, and militaristic entity. It's so important to breaking down our tribalistic tendencies to separate criticism of the Chinese/Israeli state from a hatred of the Chinese/Jewish peoples.

Yeah i agree with the distinctions and more or less the thought process for this.

But tribalism and nationalism are the hallmarks for national conflict to begin with so is that any real surprise?

10 hours ago, Mrpenguin30 said:

No you're right concentration camps for 20 years is cool along with no running water, an apartheid state, IDF posting videos of them shooting women and children, bombing apartments of journalists, dozens of videos of Israeli citizens calling for the genocide of Arabs as they are the enemy, having nuclear weapons, breaking every international human rights law, having far right youth groups that were deemed to be terrorist organizations till the most recent PM was elected, saying that the said children were Hamas, saying that Hamas is the most dangerous terrorist organization in the world when they can intercept ever ballistics missile shot towards them ten times over, the PM is a know holocaust denier. But no it is super complicated but I guess we can say that about the Holocaust by your stance. Also hilarious that palestine "committed atrocities when they do not have fucking running water.

lmao please shut the actual fuck up dumbass -- and adding actual content. This is not a holocaust and it is absolutely disgusting and disingenuous to compare the situation here. The 1948 war was to destroy a Jewish state, 1967 Israel conquered land and the issue of helping the Palestinians were then put onto Israel. Palestinian pop is actually growing. All Jews were removed from Gaza in the early 2000s and all which we were given was war and Hamas. My family had all their assets seized and were kicked out of an Arab country in the 1940s, and my other side was in Tel Aviv area since the 1900s

Edited by Sixersfan594

7 hours ago, Sixersfan594 said:

lmao please shut the actual fuck up dumbass -- and adding actual content. This is not a holocaust and it is absolutely disgusting and disingenuous to compare the situation here. The 1948 war was to destroy a Jewish state, 1967 Israel conquered land and the issue of helping the Palestinians were then put onto Israel. Palestinian pop is actually growing. All Jews were removed from Gaza in the early 2000s and all which we were given was war and Hamas. My family had all their assets seized and were kicked out of an Arab country in the 1940s, and my other side was in Tel Aviv area since the 1900s

Behold, why we can't have political discussions

• Head Moderator

https://www.nrc.no/news/2021/may/11-children-killed/#.YKPH6Kw4dtJ.twitter

"The Norwegian Refugee Council confirmed today that 11 of over 60 children killed by Israeli air strikes in Gaza over the last week were participating in its psycho-social programme aimed at helping them deal with trauma."

Edited by tfong

10 hours ago, Sixersfan594 said:

Comparing this situation where 6 million people were rounded up and exterminated in gas chambers is not the same — not even close. 

That doesn't mean you can't set it straight in a civil manner.

Lots of good historical input @bigAL, not much i have to add.

for more background information purposes, i recommend reading up on the Hussein-McMahon correspondence and the Asia Minor agreement of 1916 which play a huge part in the setup that enabled the Brits to collect Palestine in 1919 as a League of Nations mandate (from 1920 onwards) first and then yell yolo in 1948 when they fucked outta there without any structures set up for a government. That was the vacuum that was used to declare the state in '48. Rest is known.