Crazy Few Weeks

It's been a while since I've posted something here in the "Off-Topic Discussion" section of our wonderful forum. I've posted in the past about myself, stuff going on, and how life is going. This post serves the same purpose.

A few weeks ago, as the season was starting up, I was finishing the 4th year of my Master's of Divinity program. I only have 1 more year to go, but this one was tough. Studying Hebrew and exegeting Psalm 142 was difficult on its own, but combine that with the stresses of running a church amid COVID, wow! However, I was able to complete everything that I needed and am looking forward to my last five classes.

During the last few weeks of classes, @LuluSalesAway and I found out that we would be moving to our new church about a month early. In fact, we were moving the Monday after my finals, so we had very little time to prepare. It was stressful, hard, and it also brought about some financial issues. However, we've done well. Despite the challenges and unforeseen events, we've been able to keep to giving to others and pay our bills, and that's what is important to us.

Just this week we moved to our new home in Pennsylvania. Previously we were in a small town in Kentucky, and now we are just outside of Harrisburg, PA. It's quite the adjustment, but so far it's a good move. The people are nice, the area is populated and doing well, and we both seem to really like our new home. (In case you are wondering, as a pastor I don't always get to pick my home. If a church owns a home we live in it, if not then we get a housing allowance to help us pay for rent or a mortgage. Right now we live in a church owned home, called a parsonage). There have been a couple of small things that we have had to fix and change, but that happens no matter where you move.

I start my work at this new church on July 1st, so I have a few weeks to myself. After a rough semester, a tough year at my last church, and a quick move, this break will be much needed. I'm hoping to visit some family, some friends (@Eldredman I'm looking at you), and explore the area around us. Most important though, I'm looking forward to a few weeks of no deadlines, no papers, no reading, no writing (for class). Just, peace. Maybe I'll get back to hiking again, or longer bicycle rides. I've contemplated joining a gym, or at least going on runs every few days.

Well, now that you have finished reading my ramblings, thanks for doing so. I'm hoping to be as open and honest with this community as I can be, and it's not always easy.

Anyways, have a good night (or day, or whenever you read this)!

1 minute ago, JardyB10 said:

Sounds like a hell of a whirlwind, pun intended! Glad to hear you're weathering it though.

Where did you go to school?

I'm still attending Asbury Theological Seminary. It's a 96 credit hour degree, so a bit longer than normal. I reached my residency requirement, so I can finish the rest online.

Yes guy, great to hear it’s all come together. July 1 is a loooong way off (trust me, it’s my first day off after school ends), so take that time to rest, recharge, and reset. Enjoy the next month, it’s so so so rare in our adult lives to have extended time off with nothing to do. 

On 5/28/2021 at 10:19 PM, thadthrasher said:

I'm still attending Asbury Theological Seminary. It's a 96 credit hour degree, so a bit longer than normal. I reached my residency requirement, so I can finish the rest online.

Obviously a different religion, but we have a cousin in Italy doing his residency. I believe part of their residency for him, is teaching school children in Italy. We hear some cool stories about the Pope too. 

Good luck to you in your new church!

1 hour ago, bigAL said:

Yes guy, great to hear it’s all come together. July 1 is a loooong way off (trust me, it’s my first day off after school ends), so take that time to rest, recharge, and reset. Enjoy the next month, it’s so so so rare in our adult lives to have extended time off with nothing to do. 

Thanks man! Yea, I'm already finding myself not knowing what to do. I think it'll be nice to go and explore the surrounding area, and just take some time to be still. I pray I don't go nuts :D

5 minutes ago, Smarch said:

Obviously a different religion, but we have a cousin in Italy doing his residency. I believe part of their residency for him, is teaching school children in Italy. We hear some cool stories about the Pope too. 

Good luck to you in your new church!

I assume he's Catholic, which really isn't a different religion at all! But, that's very cool!

Welcome to Pennsylvania!

Wawa is better than Sheetz.

Do some research and taste testing on the different brands of potato chips and pretzels - PA has a ton of local brands.

Since you're pretty far from Philly and the surrounding suburbs, if a place calls it a "philly cheesesteak" its going to be bad.

Promanti brothers sandwich from Pittsburgh is extremely overrated, and IMO, isnt good at all.

3 hours ago, Fire Vigneault said:

Welcome to Pennsylvania!

Wawa is better than Sheetz.

Do some research and taste testing on the different brands of potato chips and pretzels - PA has a ton of local brands.

Since you're pretty far from Philly and the surrounding suburbs, if a place calls it a "philly cheesesteak" its going to be bad.

Promanti brothers sandwich from Pittsburgh is extremely overrated, and IMO, isnt good at all.

Ew 

#LetsGoPens!