How I would change the VHFL 

Berocka

Hi all of the VHL members (by all of the members I mean the three people who will read this)

Introduction:

I have been a long-time complainer of the VHFL, not really publicly but just not liking it at all and spending a lot of time on it each season to earn my 1 TPE for coming last each season. I am here to propose a way of doing what we call in Australia as a super coach method of fantasy.

I believe this way is used in other leagues where you have a budget of money, and each player is worth a certain amount. Then you use your budget to purchase the players to create your team. Now you do not have to wait for picks as you can chose from any players available, and it is done by yourself.

My biggest complaint is time zones. For me being in such a different time zone to most players I can find myself with very little time to make my pick out of my allotted 12 hours. I would much rather prefer to put in my picks and not have to worry about it any longer. Also, the time to make a pick is very difficult depending on your group manager. If they haven’t been updating the picks from everyone and you need to figure out who has been selected or not. It can take an incredible amount of time to do this. When I wake up and find out I have just 2 hours before my pick expires and need to do all this whilst trying to get ready for work it makes me lose all interest. I know I just blabbered on a bit there but there are some reasons why this model doesn’t work for everyone.

Here is an example of how it might work

Budget:

For this we will allocate a budget of $30 to make your team and the players TPA will be divided by 100 rounded down and that will be how much they are worth. For example, a player who is 827 TPA will be worth $8 or a player with 250 TPA will be worth $2. You then select 3 forwards, 2 defenceman and a goalie. For those playing along at home is roughly $5 per player you get to spend.

Selection:

I believe this could be completed in a Google Form, much like how the weekly fantasy is run. Players enter the 6 players and their worth. If this is above $30 they lose their highest paid player until they fall under the budget. Obviously, a spreadsheet would have to be pulled and players would be set on their TPE from that. I would use the date that the finances get approved as this is a set date each season.

Winning:

There has been a comment made previously that this method would not work as people would just copy other people well I think I have an idea to combat that. Every team that is unique will receive a bonus of 50 points at the end of the season. This means that people might have to think of more off META picks to be able to get that little bonus. For example you might pick a slightly worse goalie knowing that the 50 point bonus should bump you above others. The amount of TPE will then be distributed as such. 1st place receives 5 TPE, 2-10 receive 4 TPE, 11-20 receive 3 TPE then 21 – median amount is given 2 TPE and the lowest 50% is given 1 TPE. The reason for this is we still want to keep the traditional way of VHL successful whilst giving players an alternative if needed. Also any people who tie on the same points due to having the same team will receive the lowest points available for their position. For example if 7th, 8th, 9th, 10th & 11th place all have the same team then they will all receive the points of 11th place. Ideally this way you will reduce the amount of people sharing answers and hopefully make it a more enjoyable experience.

Conclusion:

I would like to hear people’s point of view and their thoughts on how the VHFL could be changed. Mainly I would like to hear from the BoG or the Blues to help me understand why this idea couldn’t work then I will try and make some adjustments to fix it up.

Thank you for reading

They do something similar to this in the EFL actually with the budget. Personally I don’t mind it but I also do like “drafting” players similar to a real fantasy league. I’m impartial but would definitely be willing to try something like this if it ever came to be. 

34 minutes ago, Ricer13 said:

They do something similar to this in the EFL actually with the budget. Personally I don’t mind it but I also do like “drafting” players similar to a real fantasy league. I’m impartial but would definitely be willing to try something like this if it ever came to be. 

I should have included it more obviously in the article but this is another option not a replacement

But for real, I love all the VHFL discussion this year. 

I hate choosing between two great ideas, and usually fall into the “why not both 🤷‍♂️ “ camp. Super Coach works great for daily betting IRL. Super Coach Sunday could be a lot of fun: spend your $30 to build the best Sunday-sim fantasy team you can!

• Commissioner

This is actually one of those “this is how it used to be done and everyone complained about it back then” things that crop up every now and then, like just buying straight TPE in the player store. That’s not to say of course that it’s a bad idea, it’s not necessarily, but just to explain why it’s not used now: it was.

I didn’t do it back then but if I remember correctly what usually happened was someone found what we’ll call a “meta” team and most people just copied it so good team or not a bunch just wound up exactly the same.

9 hours ago, bigAL said:

Do you forget that you’re also on bog? Thanks for the deep and insightful thoughts J-Roc :)  

I’m IN the BOG, not ON it. Otherwise I’d have to take the duties more seriously and stuff like that, which sounds like a hassle. I’m really just a regular member with too much freedom of the board, because who can say no to this face?? 🥺

16 hours ago, Ricer13 said:

So why can't we still have it like that? We draft players with a budget AND draft against other teams. I prefer our current setup over not drafting at all and using a budget but would be willing to try drafting with one.

I'm actually a big fan of this idea. A couple hiccups that could arise are:

-It might overcomplicate things for some of our newer members. It's already hard to get through a group draft as is sometimes and the new-ness of it all might be a turnoff.

-We'd have to decide on a cutoff point for TPE if money values are based on that. Some drafts take forever and if, hypothetically, someone starts drafting someone at $7 and by the end of the draft they're worth $8, people are going to flip. Either that, or just go with the "don't worry about it" method and let prices change as they will.

1 hour ago, GustavMattias said:

So why can't we still have it like that? We draft players with a budget AND draft against other teams. I prefer our current setup over not drafting at all and using a budget but would be willing to try drafting with one.

I'm actually a big fan of this idea. A couple hiccups that could arise are:

-It might overcomplicate things for some of our newer members. It's already hard to get through a group draft as is sometimes and the new-ness of it all might be a turnoff.

-We'd have to decide on a cutoff point for TPE if money values are based on that. Some drafts take forever and if, hypothetically, someone starts drafting someone at $7 and by the end of the draft they're worth $8, people are going to flip. Either that, or just go with the "don't worry about it" method and let prices change as they will.

The cutoff TPE point I set as the finance point.

I still believe we should have both options. A draft and just the budget version you allocate which one you want to do. Therefore you cater for both types of users.

13 hours ago, Beketov said:

I didn’t do it back then but if I remember correctly what usually happened was someone found what we’ll call a “meta” team and most people just copied it so good team or not a bunch just wound up exactly the same.

This is where the ideas of making it that any ties are given the lowest amount of TPE. As well as the 50 bonus points for a unique team. This should prevent sharing as each person you share your results with you essentially drop a place and potentially lose TPE.

16 hours ago, bigAL said:

But for real, I love all the VHFL discussion this year. 

I hate choosing between two great ideas, and usually fall into the “why not both 🤷‍♂️ “ camp. Super Coach works great for daily betting IRL. Super Coach Sunday could be a lot of fun: spend your $30 to build the best Sunday-sim fantasy team you can!

I am in the camp of having both run simultaneously. At the start of the season you chose which one you want to participate in.