Why the Moscow Menace are the team to beat: A guide to what should be considered the favorites in the VHL Playoffs.

lemonan

Why the Moscow Menace are the team to beat: A guide to what team should be considered the favorites in the VHL Playoffs.

So far in the playoffs, three teams have dominated the rest of the competition: the Moscow Menace, the Vancouver Wolves, and the Malmo Nighthawks. This is not surprising at all, as these three teams came into the postseason, in addition to Chicago, with the highest odds of winning the title. But with these teams either facing each other or coming within one playoff round of facing each other, we have to ask, is there a clear victor here?

Is it the Wolves, who dominated in the regular season and were the favorites coming into the postseason? They only lost one game in round two of the playoffs, and their explosive offense was nothing less than a force to be reckoned with. But in truth, that 4-1 playoff record is not as convincing as it looks on paper. The Wolves barely edged out their opponent in round one, putting up only a 4 goal differential compared to 12 and 9 from the Menace and Nighthawks. I have concerns about the sustainability of their defense in the long term, which was questionable at best during round two. After watching their series, I have decided that the Wolves have just not looked good enough to be the championship team thus far in the postseason, so until they really put things together, I will be hesitant in picking them in any series in the rest of the S80 playoffs. In my opinion, the playoffs are decided right here in round three, with Malmo and Moscow taking each other on in a battle that may not even be rivaled in the finals with all the marbles on the line. These two teams are playing like the best teams in the VHL, but the real question is: which one is better?

Both teams have swept through the postseason, going 4-0 against clearly weaker opponents, and at first glance there appears to be little distinction between the two teams, but when we take a deep dive into the core of both and the statistics they put up during the regular season and postseason, a favorite becomes clear. In the regular season, Moscow's scoring force put up more than twenty more points than Malmo, which may not seem like a lot, but is a clear indication of which offense is superior. The deadly duo of Duncan Idaho and Paul Atreides has proved far too much for opposing defenses as they put up the most points in the European conference in the regular season. Defense is no concern either, as they put up one of the most fearsome fronts in the VHL as a whole and gave up only 219 points in the regular season. However, the team that they are up against this round is no slouch either. While Malmo did score about thirty less points than the Menace during the season, their defense was even more stout, giving up the second least points in the entire league, only behind Chicago. No matter how you cut it, this matchup will be a close one and a deadly one, but comparing these teams I found a glaring weakness in one that was not present in the other.

In the end, Moscow has the better defensive core in place, with a great trifecta of Aurelien Moreau, Tyler Walker, and Hard Markinson that I believe will carry them to the trophy. While Malmo is definitely good, and dare I say it great, I just don't think they can pull off the upset against a team that is as well rounded as Moscow is, and for that reason, I believe that the Moscow Menace will win the S80 playoffs.

Words: 607, Claim Week: 11/7/21 

Edited by lemonan

9/10

Great article, it is nice to see all those stats, but unfortunately i hope that you are wrong for only one reason and it is because i said that Vancouver would win the Cup, so i want my TPE. Other than that awesome text, maybe add some colour and space it a little bit more. Keep up the good work and hope you are wrong ahah.