Abolish the 'new' Career Point Tasks

Berocka

So I made this well known at the time. Back in S69 or S70 the changes were made to the career point tasks. I made it known that I disagreed with the changes and that they wouldn’t work as well as what they did.

So it has been 11 seasons since the change so let us see how they have been progressing.

For those that do not know these are the career tasks that are available to players and the timeframe you need to complete them in. S1 = your draft season (If you are a S81 player S81=S1)

·         Junior Review – Any time

·         Prospect Scouting Report – S0-S1

·         Rookie Experience – S1

·         Veteran Presence – S3-S4

·         Biography – S8

Now since S70 when these were brought in let us look at the amount that has been done:

·         Junior Review – 580

·         Prospect Scouting Report – 343

·         Rookie Experience – 151

·         Veteran Prescence – 106

·         Biography – 0

Now let us look at the amount that have been done since December 1st

·         Junior Review – 19

·         Prospect Scouting Report – 15

·         Rookie Experience – 4

·         Veteran Prescence – 2

·         Biography – 0

I also have the numbers of the number of point tasks completed per season

·         Junior Review – 52

·         Prospect Scouting Report – 31

·         Rookie Experience – 15

·         Veteran Prescence – 13

·         Biography – 0

You can see in the above that there is a steady decrease on the point tasks completed as they are later and later into a players career. I think that it is because most players are trying to bulk earn before the draft and after that fall into a routine.

The biggest issue with the above is the Biography numbers. This was one of my favourite point tasks to read of players as you would get an insight into the players back story. It made it fun to read about the other Australian players, or reading people who made aliens. I think the reason there are no Biographies are because the subtitle for the Thread is still saying that you can’t complete this task. Even though you can but only in your last season. This I think is also an issue. A lot of players don’t play 8 seasons or if they do have a full build and have no need for 8 TPE when they could be saving their creative juices for their next player.

I think we have had enough of the new career point tasks. They have been around 11 seasons and aren’t really a good task or exciting to read. If I want to know how a player is doing I will look up their stats on the portal. Let us abolish these silly tasks and bring back the old ones. Or bring forward the Biography so you can complete this at any time and widen the time frames on when you can complete the other ones.

Sorry for the word vomit.

• Commissioner

Honestly I completely agree. This was one of those things that came up because people in a suggestion drive all wanted more career tasks like EFL has but we didn’t want to shove them all into a player’s first season essentially. It was a fine idea in theory but in practice it just doesn’t work. Like you said, by your 8th year realistically you are either retired or you really don’t need 8 uncapped enough to write a bio. Lahtinen was in the first draft class that could make use of the new rules and I remember seeing at the time that only 3 of us actually remained long enough to even hit the bio and we all felt the same way: why bother? At that point we were all above 1250 TPE and had our builds done and nothing else to bank for so what benefit was there?

I’m not saying people weren’t well intentioned asking for more career tasks, maybe it was just the way we implemented them, but it certainly hasn’t worked at all IMO.

1 hour ago, McWolf said:

you need new hobbies

If I did articles about the players or research if I was going to draft them it was cool to understand the story behind the player.

28 minutes ago, Beketov said:

Honestly I completely agree. 

I think this is the first time this has ever happened 🤣🤣🤣

5 hours ago, Berocka said:

For those that do not know these are the career tasks that are available to players and the timeframe you need to complete them in. S1 = your draft season (If you are a S81 player S81=S1)

·         Junior Review – Any time

·         Prospect Scouting Report – S0-S1

·         Rookie Experience – S1

·         Veteran Presence – S3-S4

·         Biography – S8

Sorry to ask this: In the rules I read that the rookie experience is meant to be written in your first year in the VHL. My player is S81 and I will only play in the VHL next season. Do I miss something? As I was a max earner for most of the time (and as a first gen cannot rely on carryovers nor do I have paid jobs to boost that number), it was impossible for me to be in the VHL prior this coming season S82.

As I do not want to give away these points, a swift clarification would be appreciated, thanks.

1 hour ago, Daniel Janser said:

Sorry to ask this: In the rules I read that the rookie experience is meant to be written in your first year in the VHL. My player is S81 and I will only play in the VHL next season. Do I miss something? As I was a max earner for most of the time (and as a first gen cannot rely on carryovers nor do I have paid jobs to boost that number), it was impossible for me to be in the VHL prior this coming season S82.

As I do not want to give away these points, a swift clarification would be appreciated, thanks.

I would do it in your first time you actually are in the big leagues

35 minutes ago, v.2 said:

Bios haven’t been a thing for a few seasons now I thought?

Nope they got replaced with a task to only do in your last season

I think the lack of bio submissions may be down to the forum still saying it’s only for Pre-S70 players (which is a move we made when the switch was made cause quite a few members were getting confused and players who were only supposed to do Rookie Profile/Bio were submitting for the new career PTs and vice versa). But now that there are no Pre-S70 players still here, we could delete that part of the description now.

Edit: Sorry I missed that part of the piece where you mention exactly that 😅

I think you’re right though , bios should be moved up in some way

Edited by MubbleFubbles

I'd love to see different criteria other than "summary of x", the different tasks sort of blend together and as Dom said, not many people ready them. I think a career task based on the dead brands, people could be quite creative with that, whether it be creating their own, or signing a brand deal with the existing ones. Just a thought.

As for biography, it may just be me, but by my player's 8th season I was ready for the next player to come, and just didn't see the use in an extra 8 TPE on top of 1200+. I was putting TPE into discipline for god's sake. 

2 minutes ago, dlamb said:

I'd love to see different criteria other than "summary of x", the different tasks sort of blend together and as Dom said, not many people ready them. I think a career task based on the dead brands, people could be quite creative with that, whether it be creating their own, or signing a brand deal with the existing ones. Just a thought.

Based on personal experience. Something like this can make the league experience quite a bit more enjoyable right off the bat.

Go #TeamClue

What I think would be a cool addition to pre-draft uncapped tasks would be something like the player to rank the VHL teams they are interested in going to. 1 being the most desirable location, and 16 being the least. They put a little input as to why that location is more or less desirable to them. This also helps GMs see input from the players so they know what they may need to work on, and what they are doing right. Descriptions don't need to be long, and with 16 teams that adds up to a word count. May seem like a bit much, but it could be fun.

Edit: Or something like top 5 desirable locations with a more lengthy description as to why.

Edited by Arce