My favorite things about the WJC

rjfryman

So this was my last season helping to lead the WJC. and I am leaving it to some wonderful people. I truly believe that Ricer and Fonzi will take it further than I could, they are some great people who will continue to love and elevate the tournament that I love so dear. But I just wanted to ramble about some of the things that I loved to do with this tournament. I was the commissioner with a wonderful group of people since Sept 26 2019

1. I loved helping new people into the world of GMing. its not secret that one of the things that I loved to do and was encouraged to do by those leading the league was to try and find potential people who might become great gms for the league. It was always a fun thing to see someone who was on the fringe or was on a few peoples radar and then get them into the WJC and then with their great work and maybe a little advice from me quickly get a AGM or even a GM job somewhere in the league. it was always fun and great to be there and watch people grow and become a great part of the league.

2. I loved seeing people get excited about being a big part of their national team and getting hooked with that and seeing them raise their tpe per week or just getting more active in the VHL in general. It is so fun to see people get excited about something and then taking that excitement and becoming a great player.

3. I loved expanding the pool of players for each team. I was a advocate for allowing people to be rolled back to 350 to join the tournament if they were really good. This helps a number of different ways. It helps the player who is really good but they were in the VHLM their first season so they were stuck at 200 tpe for the tournament. It helps the team because it allows for for pools of players to be selected and it helps some of the lesser teams get better players because i would let asia and world draft from Canada, Europe, and USA.

4. I loved growing and helping the tournament stay relevent. I will be honest with this one. Im more of a background guy, in that my best stuff is when i am working with someone who is more of the face guy. I can be the face guy but it is not my default and i do better when i don't have to worry about that at all. but i would say that in my time i had some great partners who helped me out a lot and working with them to keep the tournament relevant and exciting always made me happy. It was good to have partners bring the best out of me have great ideas and push me to be a better version of myself with this tournament.

5. I will miss all my co-commissioners. Throughout the seasons I have had a number of co-commisioners and each one brought something great and interesting to the table with me. I'm sorry if I leave anyone out but shout-outs to Acydburn who is probably one of the greatest dudes I know from this site and I hope I remain good friends with til we are old guys complaining about how the old folks home doesn't have good internet. BigAl was a great partner who helped me after acyd left to go be the M commish, he was a great hype man who truly loved to help people and would go the extra mile to make someones day better. Banacock the man who took a chance on me in the first place came back and wanted to help for a season and it was good to see him back in form and show everyone that when he cares about something he truely cares. Fonzi was a great first partner whom i wish i had more time with but he was a great barometer on what I needed as a partner and what could be done with two people striving for the same goal. Ricer even through he came this season has a similar style to me and Im glad to see him carry on this great tradition of the WJC. I want to thank all the simmers throughout the seasons who made this tournament possible. I want to thank all the GM's over the seasons for all their hard work and hope they had as much fun as I did.

Thank you all for coming to my talk, and most importantly thank you to those who have helped me on this journey.

@Acydburn@bigAL @Banackock @fonziGG @WranglersSuck

10 minutes ago, rjfryman said:

Fonzi was a great first partner whom i wish i had more time with but he was a great barometer on what I needed as a partner and what could be done with two people striving for the same goal.

It's sad because I think we worked on this together twice. I think if we were given something else in this league, I have no doubt in my mind that we would mesh extremely well.

I was also had a random thought the other day. I've known you since day 1 of joining the league. I joined, you were the AGM of Halifax and we all had a blast in the Halifax LR. If I'm not mistaken, @Acydburn had already joined the team, @Thranduil was the GM and you were the AGM. So, I have a lot of thanks to all 3 of you for keeping me active and interested in this league. If it wasn't there from the first day, I'd probably be IA right now. Keep being awesome RJ