VHL Magazine Power Poll - Draft Lotto

Toast

VHL Mag Power Poll  

18 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

It seems that every season the draft lottery causes some sort of confusion. This season, Cologne pulled out with the lottery win despite being the team with the best record amongst the teams in the lottery.

With Quebec and Toronto holding the same record, there was a mix up about who received second overall, so it seems there was another lottery held to determine that pick as well.

The VHL has many possible scenarios that can go down at the draft with each of the non-playoff teams having a 25 per cent chance of winning the lottery. Today’s Power Poll is based around the lottery and if the members are satisfied with the lottery rules or if they’d like to see changes.

In the event Cologne or Helsinki didn’t win the lottery there would have had to be a second lottery to determine where the rest of the lottery falls due to the rules that have been set. Honestly, in my opinion, all of these possible scenarios are a tad too much and I think one lottery with better odds for the lower-placing teams would be good here.

But, the Power Poll is not about my opinion! So let’s see those votes and make sure to comment with your ideas. Top comments will be put in the Mag.

I was actually thinking about the clusterfuck this morning and think that based on that lottery and I guess common sense really, head-to-head should come before goal difference.

Damn straight.

I don't like our current lotto system at all, the multiple draws have to go imho. I wrote a longer piece on this a while back where I highlighted how the current system isn't really fair because the percentages of having a good results fluctuate too much from place to place. I still stand by that, let's just have one draw and be done with it, no multiple-draw system. I never understood why we even have this in the first place, it certainly doesn't help to discourage tanking.

A 25 percent chance of winning for each team would be a complete randomization Romanes. As there are only 4 teams, so even if you drew names out of a fucking hat each team still has a 1/4 chance of being drawn, ergo a 25% chance.

I agree with losing the second draw, but I still say tanking teams shouldn't get rewarded. Since we have implemented this new system over the system of tanking teams being rewarded league parity has grown. There is no reason not to promote activity and growth on your team. This philosophy means that even though you know your going to miss the playoffs, like Cologne did this season, you can still go out and use your assets to acquire players, and build a solid team while also having just as much of a chance at getting that top pick as the rest of the non playoff teams.

If the argument is, well what about the Toronto/Quebec with barely any players, how is it fair to them? They put themselves in the situations they are in. Quebec traded all of it's assets for Kellinger, picked up free agents and won a Cup. Toronto just finished a near dynasty level run with Remy and a solid group of players. They kept on competing while they still had assets until several had to retire. Again, teams shouldn't be rewarded for making all or nothing trades. Because then they aren't all or nothing. Why not just trade all my draft picks on the last year I'm competing to overstack my team? Oh I don't win? Whatever, next year i'll win like 4 games since I have no players and get a huge chance of winning first overall. That type of system doesn't encourage activity, competitiveness, or parity. What we have now does

FUCKING DEVISE POST! 

A 25 percent chance of winning for each team would be a complete randomization Romanes. As there are only 4 teams, so even if you drew names out of a fucking hat each team still has a 1/4 chance of being drawn, ergo a 25% chance.

I agree with losing the second draw, but I still say tanking teams shouldn't get rewarded. Since we have implemented this new system over the system of tanking teams being rewarded league parity has grown. There is no reason not to promote activity and growth on your team. This philosophy means that even though you know your going to miss the playoffs, like Cologne did this season, you can still go out and use your assets to acquire players, and build a solid team while also having just as much of a chance at getting that top pick as the rest of the non playoff teams.

If the argument is, well what about the Toronto/Quebec with barely any players, how is it fair to them? They put themselves in the situations they are in. Quebec traded all of it's assets for Kellinger, picked up free agents and won a Cup. Toronto just finished a near dynasty level run with Remy and a solid group of players. They kept on competing while they still had assets until several had to retire. Again, teams shouldn't be rewarded for making all or nothing trades. Because then they aren't all or nothing. Why not just trade all my draft picks on the last year I'm competing to overstack my team? Oh I don't win? Whatever, next year i'll win like 4 games since I have no players and get a huge chance of winning first overall. That type of system doesn't encourage activity, competitiveness, or parity. What we have now does

FUCKING DEVISE POST! 

ONE draw where the winner moves to first overall isn't the same as completely randomizing the order which basically happens through three separate draws, but without the "a team can't lose more than one spot" rule ;)

Both systems make more sense than the one we currently have imho, obviously with different strengths and weaknesses. I personally like both, but probably prefer the full randomization because it makes it even harder to tank on purpose, even with a roster without any players you could end up with only the 4th Overall. I guess some would hate that, some would love that system, I for one think it would be a good method to further discourage tanking in a league that is very tanking-based at the moment. But it doesn't come without possible problems of course, including the chance that a team will have a really hard time coming out of a rebuild due to bad luck in a few lotterys in a row. But teams can already suffer from that right now, so I don't think it would be too much of an issue.

Edited by RomanesEuntDomus