Does Uncapped Fantasy Zone TPE Need To Be Refined?

fromtheinside

We our well on our way through yet another VHL season and as part of my mid-week routine, I took a few minutes the other day to fill out my VHL/E/M Fantasy Zone picks. The whole process took me about 5-10 minutes or so. I go look at some player stats and league standings and then form my decisions for the week. Now nothing is guaranteed, but if you you are top of things, this is a prime avenue to gain quite a bit of TPE and it's all uncapped. Over the course of a season, this adds up quite a bit. So much so, that it begs the question... is there too much uncapped TPE tied into VHL Fantasy Zone? Measured against other forms of TPE gaining, there could be an argument made that maybe the TPE payouts could use some refining. For comparison's sake, look how much the VHFL payouts are for the course of an entire season. There's a lot of variation there. So I ask you, the VHL Community... does this need to be changed? I am genuinely curious to see what users in the community think about this. Please feel free to comment below and let me know what you think. Cheers!

• Commissioner
4 hours ago, jacobcarson877 said:

I say no because I like TPE and cutting Fantasy Zone TPE means I make less TPE.

To be fair I don’t think inflation is completely out of control right now, moreso there’s room to say this specific type of uncapped is simply way too strong. Consider that VHFL max payout is 6, several people are getting that per week from fantasy zone and you see the potential issue.

Long way of saying that basically it’s entirely possible that if we nerfed fantasy zone we might buff something else to compensate.

The one thing I will say about Fantasy Zone TPE being as high as it is, is this: It makes it more exciting. When you know that you get an actual impactful amount of TPE if you do well. You end up being pretty psyched about it, and during large parts of the season you need something to be psyched about. Is it a bit out of whack that you can get 20+ TPE in a season from Fantasy Zone when a GM+Group win in the VHFL (which the GM part alone is more work than a whole season of doing Fantasy Zone, depending on your group) does seem pretty lopsided.

With the Hybrid attributes meaning there is less of an issue with more TPE flying about, I agree that the total amount isn't really an issue. I will say that for how much more work the VHFL is than Fantasy Zone, it's a bit weird that the payout of the entire VHFL is roughly on par with a good payout from the playoff brackets alone in Fantasy Zone.

But I still think that's fine in a way, because that VHFL payout is once a season. It's only really hype right when it happens, in between you just wait. The weekly nature of Fantasy Zone meaning you get many small(er) payouts, though realistically some of those payouts alone will be as much as VHFL, does as previously mentioned help you have something to get hyped about throughout the season.

I could certainly see a case for dropping the game portion payout of Fantasy Zone by 1-2 TPE either to increase VHFL payouts, or to allow for Super Coach to soak up that extra TPE @Berocka.

As someone with some strong opinions on this topic, I'll chime in. Here are reasons why I think the payout amounts are issues:

1. They're not proportionately reflective of time spent on the task. As other have pointed out, the other uncapped opportunities take up much more time, whether that's drafting for VHFL, writing a HOF article, or even researching trivia questions to submit for the question bank. Fantasy Zone has taken the amount some users used to get in a full season from the game, and now pays it out weekly.

2. Success rate is astronomically high. Uncapped TPE isn't supposed to be something you expect to receive every week, but it seems to be the case now. I can whip out the numbers if anyone wants to contest it, but Lose said about a week ago that 3 out of like 80+ didn't get TPE in a week. 

3. In my opinion, I don't think bonus Fantasy Zone TPE is really necessary in the hybrid attribute system we have now. We added a 9th season on and regression got lighter, those two factors alone give users a full extra season of earning and then also lightens the TPE hit on regression. Combine that with the expectation of weekly uncapped TPE, and I think this has turned into an unrealistic expectation of what uncapped TPE is -> going from "wow I got TPE" to "wow, I didn't get ENOUGH TPE." This feels like we still want to be speedrushing our builds to hit peak during our ELC's and then bank/spend excess TPE on luxury attribute increases.

I hate to admit it (as I jump at any opportunity to get that sweet, sweet TPE (especially the uncapped kind)), but I agree that the amount paid out in Fantasy Zone is disproportional to the effort made (not by @youloser1337 but the participants). Speaking of my experience it takes me approximately 2 minutes to fill in the forms and get some uncapped TPE every week. And I agree with Spartan here that this is not in line with what you would need to do to get a comparable amount of uncapped TPE. Uncapped TPE should be a reward for going the extra mile (at least in my understanding) and not for clicking some buttons and making more or less educated guesses (less in my case)...

I am digging my own grave here... *sigh*

Y'all trying to take my jobs away ;_;

If there is an issue you can always message me on discord. Personally, I do a lot of work so that you guys don't have to do a lot of work for the uncapped. If you want I can go back to the old system of guessing the scores. Of course, no one really enjoyed that but it was a WAY lower success rate.

Nothing is perfect. I admit that. Give me ideas though. I want to make it easier on everyone. I tried to get questions for the future and no one gave me anything. So now I'm coming up with stuff.

If its really a problem I'll stop. Of course the interest in the league will go way down for me though lol.

10 hours ago, fromtheinside said:

We our well on our way through yet another VHL season and as part of my mid-week routine, I took a few minutes the other day to fill out my VHL/E/M Fantasy Zone picks. The whole process took me about 5-10 minutes or so. I go look at some player stats and league standings and then form my decisions for the week. Now nothing is guaranteed, but if you you are top of things, this is a prime avenue to gain quite a bit of TPE and it's all uncapped. Over the course of a season, this adds up quite a bit. So much so, that it begs the question... is there too much uncapped TPE tied into VHL Fantasy Zone? Measured against other forms of TPE gaining, there could be an argument made that maybe the TPE payouts could use some refining. For comparison's sake, look how much the VHFL payouts are for the course of an entire season. There's a lot of variation there. So I ask you, the VHL Community... does this need to be changed? I am genuinely curious to see what users in the community think about this. Please feel free to comment below and let me know what you think. Cheers!

Also next time just me

16 minutes ago, youloser1337 said:

If there is an issue you can always message me on discord. Personally, I do a lot of work so that you guys don't have to do a lot of work for the uncapped. If you want I can go back to the old system of guessing the scores. Of course, no one really enjoyed that but it was a WAY lower success rate.

Nothing is perfect. I admit that. Give me ideas though. I want to make it easier on everyone. I tried to get questions for the future and no one gave me anything. So now I'm coming up with stuff.

If its really a problem I'll stop. Of course the interest in the league will go way down for me though lol.

I do not think it was the intention for you to stop... maybe the pay out needs to be tweaked, I personally like what you did with the convenient google forms....

2 hours ago, youloser1337 said:

Also next time just me

To be fair, the points FTI brought up on the issue more pertained to the overall payout numbers, not him having issues with the questions, and that typically is a discussion that takes place at a BOG/Admin level rather than being determined by the specific head of the section (here's an example of admin announcing uncapped TPE drops to two activities that had other people running it) so that's probably why he hasn't tagged you. 

I'm sure everyone is greatly appreciative of the work that you've put into Fantasy Zone especially with the improvements you've made to it and I've said myself before on a previous podcast that you should be getting more TPE for doing the job. 

On 5/16/2022 at 10:21 AM, youloser1337 said:

I was just creating a talking point and needed to do a .com on Sunday.. I'm not being critical of your job.