2014-2015 NHL Discussion

Sandro

I've been lurking in the shadows, making sarcastic comments all around the interwebz... Okay, mostly on Reddit. Some Flames fans are quite irritated with me. :)

Also I've been sick all week and basically kept it together purely to see Avengers on Thursday night and go to EA on Friday. Other than that I've practically been a zombie.

What did you do at EA? A little gaming tour?

I heard EA has some sweet training facilities for both Soccer and Rugby, true?

If thats the case tell those chumps to eliminate the goalie interference call if the goalie is outside the blue paint.

but I charge with the goalie when the other team dumps it in and make them take a penalty :'3 

What did you do at EA? A little gaming tour?

I heard EA has some sweet training facilities for both Soccer and Rugby, true?

No, but I'd love to go do a tour of the building.

I was testing Star Wars Battlefront.

If thats the case tell those chumps to eliminate the goalie interference call if the goalie is outside the blue paint.

Man, I was playing today and those were pissing me off. If incidental contact takes out the goaltender and you shoot it into the open net, you get a penalty. If it wasn't a penalty in the first place, it shouldn't be just because I scored. That's some BS that I'll tell them to remove if I go in for any NHL 16 testing.

Edited by Sandro

Man, I was playing today and those were pissing me off. If incidental contact takes out the goaltender and you shoot it into the open net, you get a penalty. If it wasn't a penalty in the first place, it shouldn't be just because I scored. That's some BS that I'll tell them to remove if I go in for any NHL 16 testing.

Yeah I found it silly that goalies could go anywhere in there own end and force a penalty. There should be a specific hidden zone where if they are hit, its goalie interference and if they go out of it its free game. Mind you I only ever played two games on my cousins system at Christmas, but still it was stupid.

Farewell, but also thank god! I love Lou, but the game was escaping his area of expertise from his days of actually bringing in the youngsters. Now he started relying on old free agents who had once had a magical season. So I wish him the best, but we will be better off this way. Scott Neids for GM!

Yeah I know, I just want Scotty Neids. Ray Shero is better than a lot of the people we could've got though.

Shero is a good pick up. He got fired for a culture issue not an issue with his ability as GM in Pitt. Next step imo is for NJD to get a good coach, curious who their target is. I think Guy Boucher would be a good fit there if they could somehow pull him away from Europe. 

Shero is a good pick up. He got fired for a culture issue not an issue with his ability as GM in Pitt. Next step imo is for NJD to get a good coach, curious who their target is. I think Guy Boucher would be a good fit there if they could somehow pull him away from Europe. 

I agree. I like Ted Nolan, but I have heard he isn't on their radar. I just want one of those "Work Hard, get your nose dirty" head coaches (although I guess Ryan Malone fits that criteria more than anyone haha). Boucher would work, Nolan is another one and Trotz is another I can name right off the bat. Of course Trotz is in the capital so no way that would happen, especially after just one season.

I don't agree that the Shero hiring was a good move.

Shero inherited Malkin, Crosby, Fleury, and a large list of other great recent draft picks and turned that into 1 Stanley Cup. Since then, the team has slowly deteriorated to the point that it's literally Crosby, Malkin, Letang, Fleury, and no one. His drafts have been awful, and the few good prospects they have drafted have been traded away.

I don't agree that the Shero hiring was a good move.

Shero inherited Malkin, Crosby, Fleury, and a large list of other great recent draft picks and turned that into 1 Stanley Cup. Since then, the team has slowly deteriorated to the point that it's literally Crosby, Malkin, Letang, Fleury, and no one. His drafts have been awful, and the few good prospects they have drafted have been traded away.

Yeah that's what I'm afraid of. Because let's not forget every year the reason they were able to stay relevant after the trade deadline is that he had gone out and traded their picks for players (Perron is the most recent example). In New Jersey we need to stock the cupboard full of prospects again, we can't rely on guys like Jagr for years down the road for offence haha

Yeah but it's a different situation imo. He needed to be trading to make the Pens better and did his best to do that. He had some great deals. You can't put the struggle of the Pens on him. The fact is people really overrate that core (still do). They won a single cup because they lost a lot of the quality depth players that helped them on that Cup win due to retirements, cap reasons, and free agency decisions. Not everyone can rebuild the proper depth around their core after a Cup win/cap troubles like the Hawks did. 

But just because Pitt has a good core didn't mean they should get somewhere. Shero has the balls to do what the team needs in any situation and I like that about him. I don't know if he is my first choice, but I still say he is a good pick up. It'll be a different challenge in Jersey with a retool, I doubt it's a full rebuild. Mostly because there are some good young players there already and Schneider has the potential to be a good starter for the Devils. 

Yeah but it's a different situation imo. He needed to be trading to make the Pens better and did his best to do that. He had some great deals. You can't put the struggle of the Pens on him. The fact is people really overrate that core (still do). They won a single cup because they lost a lot of the quality depth players that helped them on that Cup win due to retirements, cap reasons, and free agency decisions. Not everyone can rebuild the proper depth around their core after a Cup win/cap troubles like the Hawks did. 

This is where I disagree. When you have two players with cap hits like Crosby and Malkin, you need cheap, ELC or RFA talent to fill out your roster. You can't continue to trade away your picks and prospects for veterans. You're right: they lost quality depth players and then couldn't replace them.

Holmgren had balls as well. That type of short-sighted philosophy will come to bite you some day, and if not handled right, the results won't be pretty.

This is where I disagree. When you have two players with cap hits like Crosby and Malkin, you need cheap, ELC or RFA talent to fill out your roster. You can't continue to trade away your picks and prospects for veterans. You're right: they lost quality depth players and then couldn't replace them.

Holmgren had balls as well. That type of short-sighted philosophy will come to bite you some day, and if not handled right, the results won't be pretty.

Your still a victim of the markets you are in. Regardless of if the Penguins promoted from within and or had RFA or cheap players would it be enough? Your fan base and your talented core need the confidence that you are going to build around them properly, not "stagger around" trying to find the right fits. 

But that is the nature of parity in this league. Other teams were willing to overpay for the better depth players because they knew teams like the Penguins couldn't. It doesn't help that the Penguins began to start having culture issues as time went on. I think it was the right move for the Pens to let go of Shero because that team needed whole sale changes from a culture perspective. Who they replaced him with however? *laughs* 

Either way to me Shero has proved he has the competency to analyse a team and work around it. It helps that with the Devils he doesn't have to have the pressure of people going "we have Crosby, we have Malkin, why can't we win?" You even made that comment yourself. Teams with that kind of star power never settle for bad results, and it often leads to the pressure of thinking because you have talent like that you have no excuses. Shero will do good in New Jersey imo.