i almost regret writing this article

fishy

It’s been a while since I've actually done a 6-tpe point task, and it feels a bit odd. I became eligible for pension and I’m just coasting now. I’ve decided to come around again for theme week.

This article is going to include the following:

• Swearing
  • Links to articles that reference sex and other stuff that we’ve restricted since actually having a mod team

Read at your own risk

2007–I was just 8 years old, some folks here weren’t even a thought yet, and other dorks were, well, here. Starting a hockey simulation league. The league, for a long time, was just a bunch of guys–boys, really–bein’ dudes. When you look back through the forum for what this league was like, it looks like a whole different place, despite seeing names pop up here and there over the last 9 years. (Of note, this forum only started existing in 2013, so that’s the earliest content we’ve got.)

There are some real gems still living on the site for public consumption, and I want to share them. This article is just going to be a collection of random shit that you find when you search the word “girl” in the search, because what could possibly go wrong?

December 2013: What could go wrong, asking VHLers for advice?

Oh, how the times have changed. We have countless threads have been created just in the last year of people 1) asking for advice and 2) offering advice (hit up Berocka for all your legal needs). Podcast question threads galore, and not too much engagement on those. While the linked thread doesn’t have a whole lot of content on there, I’m sure that it gave the podcasters something to talk about, much more than asking what their favorite color is.

January 2014: People fight about a graphic originally made for Emma Watson that was supposed to be Al Watson

This interaction is hilarious to me. By the time I showed up, the graders were long (I think) gone, and thank god. Your content used to be evaluated by other people and the amount of TPE you got was based on that evaluation. Actually bonkers.

I wish I could see the original graphic, because based on context, I think Emma Watson was the render. We have an oldhead that I forget is an oldhead, STZ, making an appearance in the thread with the notable contribution, “lmao. stoopid.” iconic.

July 2014: The first mention of a female user that I find in my not-very-thorough search

Jamie appears to have come and gone, last seen 2017. A shame, I wonder what the experience of coming back would be like.

I will say there is one comment that aged exceptionally well:

OdUIlGVLcVvUSZwyRjqnNocY0LqhdwFPbRCRtHCl

Nice work, Devise.

This thread also features a young eaglesfan … not trolling? I didn’t know there was an era where that was the case.

Ultimately I laughed reading this thread because it began as someone being butthurt about things that weren’t personal, saying “get it all out there and off your chest” and then they’re the only person that’s mad. I lack context, so maybe there’s something I’m missing, but who cares. This article isn’t about accuracy, it’s about laughing at people in the past

I’m calling this article a wrap because I don’t want to continue sifting through the sexism and sexualization of women but it was a fun go. The league has come a long way in the past 15 years, going from calling people a girl as an insult, posting pictures of themselves and calling each other ugly, and talking about their genitals then saying no homo to letting folks of all genders intermingle without it being weird or uncomfy all the time. I will say, though, that the insults were way better in 2014.

• Commissioner
9 hours ago, fishy said:

When you look back through the forum for what this league was like, it looks like a whole different place, despite seeing names pop up here and there over the last 9 years. (Of note, this forum only started existing in 2013, so that’s the earliest content we’ve got.)

You should have seen the first two boards, we had downright calmed down by the time we hit this one. The original was a cesspool.

49 minutes ago, Beketov said:

You should have seen the first two boards, we had downright calmed down by the time we hit this one. The original was a cesspool.

Cannot stress how true this is.😅

23 hours ago, fishy said:

Your content used to be evaluated by other people and the amount of TPE you got was based on that evaluation. Actually bonkers.

If the graders didn't like you, you would've been completely fucked back in those days lol

Jamie was a blast and didn't take shit from anyone - had the pleasure of being on her team when she had her best player, Brennan McQueen, and GMing her on Riga and in the VHLM with Ottawa.

Just naming other "noteable" female members....Meg, Cailean, and I'm sure I'm missing more.

Also yes, @Squidward used to not always troll and used to be a VHL GM, VHLM GM, VHLM Commissioner, and BoG member.

44 minutes ago, Fire Fletcher said:

Jamie was a blast and didn't take shit from anyone - had the pleasure of being on her team when she had her best player, Brennan McQueen, and GMing her on Riga and in the VHLM with Ottawa.

Just naming other "noteable" female members....Meg, Cailean, and I'm sure I'm missing more.

Also yes, @Squidward used to not always troll and used to be a VHL GM, VHLM GM, VHLM Commissioner, and BoG member.

I am indeed a hall of fame builder

This board has definitely changed big time as far as what’s allowed to be said. We once had a member of blue team just straight up say the n word in forums like it was nothing. Even being the troll I am that wasn’t cool with me and when I messaged him asking him to stop he just said ok dad and seemed annoyed by it. Some changes have definitely been for the better.