a tale of two Brothers // the final quarter S86

Daniel Janser

Bild

Graphic courtesy of Leandrofg

(Marcel's stats/Daniel's stats)

The Wranglers and by inclusion the Jansers have played a dozen games since our last edition, too many to summarize and it would be old news to say the least. Suffice to say that Calgary is still the team with the best record (38-11-9) in the league. Daniel is on track to break his last year's personal record and Marcel has already surpassed last season's production.

Here are their stats for this campaign so far:

Marcel: 58gp, 3g, 40a, 43pts, +13, 78 PIM, 97 hits, 99sb, 2ppg

Daniel: 58gp, 40g, 53a, 93pts, +30, 98 PIM, 231 hits, 30sb, 7gwg, 6ppg, 62.41FO%, 13 First Star awards 

The Swiss Center's figures puts him fifth in goals scored (Leader is Baby Bob with 46, with 13 of them in power play), 7th in assists (this category is lead by Chicago star defender Bo Johansson with 76 apples to his name). In the points race he is at number 2, sitting five points behind Baby Bob). He is still the best player at the draw, winning 62.41% of the pucks for his team (next best is Taylor Mourning with 61.07%, but the Right Wing has almost stepped up to the hash mark 2000 times less often than Calgary's Captain). Dan also remains a force on the physical side of the game with 231 hits initiated (6th of the league) and 259 hits suffered against (good for the 3rd place). He is one of only three players who exceed 200 hits for and 200 hits against, and the one with the highest total hit count. The other two players are Perry Laperriere and Igor Molotov, both also having lower scoring numbers then the 'Swiss Army Knife'.

Our reporter Jean-Luc Lieuxperroux (JLL) met with Daniel (DJ) for an interview. Let's see what the Rotkreuz native had to say.

JLL: 'Hi Daniel, thanks for agreeing to meet us. Three quarter of the regular season are played and Calgary looks like a valid contender for the Continental Cup. What is your take on the chances to win it all?'

DJ: 'Hi Jean-Luc, anytime, my friend. Well, we are doing well, but we always find areas where we want to get better. You can't buy anything in the playoffs with your regular season accolades, as we know from bitter experience. It is the worst kept secret in the Province of Alberta, that this team and management thinks, that is high time that the cup comes back to Calgary. Our chances are intact and we believe in ourselves. We think that we have a better than even chance to beat any team in a best of seven series.'

JLL: 'That is a bold claim. Are you too cocky?'

DJ: 'No, I would not say so. We are one of the better teams for a couple of years now and you need to believe in yourself if you want to win it all. We are not saying, it will be easy. All the other teams play to win as well and none of them are pushovers. We still need to give our all, if we want to succeed.'

JLL: 'Where do you see your strengths and your weaknesses?'

DJ: 'We have arguably one of the best forward group in the league with Wolanin, Gonçalves and Vladovechsenkchushkin. It is not all about scoring though. We are well aware that our defence is heavily relying on AirRig to get the job done, so we front row player know we have to pitch in on the defensive side of the game as well. We adopted a play style which I first saw in Switzerland, when Arno Del Curto was coach of the HC Davos (not to be mistaken with the Dynamo) declared that the forwards are the first defenders. That is what we try to do to take off the pressure on our relatively inexperienced backs. We cannot rely on Dahl to win games for us, as his development sadly stalled. Don't get me wrong he is solid and in some nights he is a wall. He just is not consistent enough for us to rely on him to win our battles. Most of the times we have to outscore our opponents we cannot hunker down in our own zone, weathering the storm and hope for the lucky punch.'

JLL: 'You have been a professional hockey player for a while now. Is there a plan for the time after icehockey?'

DJ: 'Well, as long as my body and our management allow it, I will continue to play the sport I love so much. But it is a fast activity on a slippery surface and things can change rapidly. I took up again my studies as an aeronautical engineer at the beginning of this season and am making good progress in that endeavour. My contract does not allow me to take up flying but this is also something I would like to pursue.'

JLL: 'That was all the questions I had, thanks for your time and good luck for your studies.'

DJ: 'My pleasure and thanks, Jean-Luc.'

https://vhlforum.com/topic/130178-a-tale-of-two-brothers-moving-on-quickly/

https://vhlforum.com/topic/130233-a-tale-of-two-brothers-quarter-and-diming/

https://vhlforum.com/topic/130353-a-tale-of-two-brothers-a-captains-disclaimer/

https://vhlforum.com/topic/130505-a-tale-of-two-brothers-halftime-summary/

https://vhlforum.com/topic/130553-a-tale-of-two-brothers-another-brick-in-the-wall/

3 minutes ago, Baby Boomer said:

Chicago players leading in goals, assists, points and points by a defensemen!!!

True. And you have a talented bunch over there not going to lie. I think the stats are little padded by the fact that for the majority of the season you had a 5 forward and 3 defender roster. Still, a good performance all around.  

6 minutes ago, thadthrasher said:

So, he started the season as a true RW. But, after talking with Mourning, management determined that his skills on the face off couldn't be ignored and he agreed to play center.

I think he would even agree to take even more face-offs than he currently does.

15 hours ago, thadthrasher said:

So, he started the season as a true RW. But, after talking with Mourning, management determined that his skills on the face off couldn't be ignored and he agreed to play center.

sounds like my story. Upto and including my VHLE season I was a Left Wing. But in a very anemic Oslo team, I was the player with the highest FO rating so I played center. And since CGY needed a center going forward (pun not intended) at the time, I became a center.

11 minutes ago, Daniel Janser said:

sounds like my story. Upto and including my VHLE season I was a Left Wing. But in a very anemic Oslo team, I was the player with the highest FO rating so I played center. And since CGY needed a center going forward (pun not intended) at the time, I became a center.

Yea, it's certainly important for a team when players are willing to adapt to team needs.